All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Trapped gas
      #338228 - 11/17/08 07:41 PM
pts79

Reged: 10/31/06
Loc: Oklahoma

My main problem is gas. It's like I'm pregnant and the "baby" is moving constantly, especially a little while after I eat. I'm so tired of taking Gas-X, Beano, etc. I started the Acacia powder, but I feel that it made the gas worse. I gradually went up to 1 1/2 tablespoons a day, but decided to taper back down again. My first can is almost gone and I've pretty much decided to not get anymore. Why won't the gas come out? Why does it just roll around in there? I can lay on the floor on my stomach for a bit and that helps, but good grief, I can't do that 3 times a day for 30 minutes or more!

I've tried peppermint with no help. I've tried fennel tea and others, but drinking hot tea when I'm full of gas just makes me feel even fuller. I'm just at a loss and miserable.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trapped gas new
      #338240 - 11/18/08 08:05 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

TRy massaging your tummy.Start at the lower right side and rub in circles with your fingers or knuckles. Slowly move up to your rib cage, across your body and down the left side to your lower left side.This is the path your colon travels and this can help move the gas along as well as stimulate your colon for either c or d. I do this on the toilet when having d cramps and nothing is coming out.Within a few minutes I can feel things moving and coming out.
HTH

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#338243 - 11/18/08 08:13 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I do the exact same...in a large circular motion (works great with D and gas). When i'm gassy, I lay on my tummy and my weight sometimes pushes it out (similar to what you do with a baby).

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#338250 - 11/18/08 08:31 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I use a heat pad and that helps me alot! hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#338263 - 11/18/08 10:49 AM
pts79

I do use a heating pad and it does work luckily. I have not tried massage, but will. I wish I knew what was causing it. Am I always going to have gas with every single meal?!

#338264 - 11/18/08 10:54 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I am very very gassy also! I don't think you will always have it with every single meal. I suggest trying to get stable and seeing how the gas goes. I just ate a meal of all natural spaghetti noodles and some soy yogurt, and I am fine, no gas. My gas doesn't want to come out either when it starts, and my whole abdomen is enlarged and looks like I'm six months pregnant. It is very painful, but you shouldn't have to live with it forever!

One thing, with the Gas-X, the chewables have artificial sweetener which can cause gas/bloating, and they are designed to work on the gas in your belly not in your colon. There are some Charcoal Caps that you can find at a HFS that is supposed to work on gas in the intestines, but it may turn your stool black. Anyway, I found they help me. HTH

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#338267 - 11/18/08 11:12 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

Have you tried using the Hypnosis for IBS? I find that this therapy can really help when I get the feeling of trapped gas. I think it might be due to the relaxation techniques etc.... When my colon is in a spasm mode the gas gets trapped. And of course makes things worse.

I know others here find much relief from yoga. While this does not work as well for me, it might for you! Give both a try and let us know how you make out.

Feel better soon,
Carolyn

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#338271 - 11/18/08 11:37 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

My abdomen looks like Kappy's when I get gas. One thing I do is beat on my stomach. I don't mean hard to hurt myself, (although it can be a little uncomfortable when you hit those gas pockets) but a little harder maybe then a massage. Maybe like a kneading and sometimes a light punch. Then I lie on my bed and bring both legs up to my chest as far as I can and I repeat this and it does release eventually. When my daughter was a baby and had colic I would gently take her little legs and move them up and back as gently as I could and sure enough she would let loose. I also lie on my belly sometimes. It does hurt because you are putting pressure on an already painful, blown-up area, but do it slowly and it will release the gas.

Something else I have come to find, is that when I get nervous or anxious the gas increases greatly. I wondered why when I get into situations where I am uncomfortable, I feel like I have to leave because of the gas. I finally connected the two.

Maybe when you sit down to eat you are already in an anxious state, and that just exacerbates your symptoms. Maybe do the hypno tapes and try your best to eat in a calm and non-hurried way and maybe it will lessen the gas.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

#338274 - 11/18/08 11:44 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

have you tried avoiding hfcs? I took this out of my diet and WOW ! it made a hudge differance and avoid friuts that are high in sugar like apples..hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#338276 - 11/18/08 12:19 PM
pts79

Hmm, haven't thought too much about hfcs. Is it in lots of things? I guess I need to research that one.

Definitely laying on my stomach helps, but it takes a long time. It doesn't really make too much come "out", some but not like you would think, but it seems to alleviate it quicker. That and heat. Both of which can't really be done in public....

As far as Gax-X, I don't use the chewables I use the capsules and according to the box they don't have any artificial sweeteners in them, so I'm assuming they are still safe. I didn't know they were made to work in your stomach. Very interesting! I think it's pretty evident that mine is in my colon and not the stomach. I will try the charcoal caps. I don't care if they turn my stool rainbow colors, as long as they take away this gas. Didn't know about that one either, so will gladly try it!

I can see where the "kneading" or "beating" on your stomach would help. I think that since laying on the floor on my stomach helps, that massage and kneading will too, so I will give them a try.

I'm not sure about me being anxious when I'm eating. I suppose it's very possible, at least sometimes. I can try to pay more attention and at least slow myself down. Can't hurt, that's for sure.

Thanks so much for the ideas - I truly appreciate them. I would give anything not to look pregnant 90% of the time. I think my stomach (colon or intestines, whichever) is stretched and inflated so much that it may never be flat again. I just think that as time goes on gravity will eventually make that hope impossible. My belly can't keep being distended without eventually staying in that shape.

#338288 - 11/18/08 01:42 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I can identify what you are saying about your belly being stretched. Mine too! And I too, often wonder if it will be able to be flat again!!

Let's hope we can be!!

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#338289 - 11/18/08 01:51 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Yep, I agree! Washboard abs are a thing of the past for me.

CharcoCaps new
      #338317 - 11/19/08 06:50 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Ok, so maybe the pills for the intestinal gas are actually called CHARCOCAPS. I got some more from Wal-mart yesterday and realized that I had put the wrong name in my post. Just wanted to clarify so noone got the wrong info! HTH

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#338354 - 11/20/08 01:20 AM
pumpkin73

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: California

Have you tried any sort of elimination diet to rule out food intolerances? I used to have the same problem until I did an elimination diet recommended by my dietician. It turned out my body doesn't like dairy or wheat. Since I've cut those two things out I've had very little gas and feel much better. Throw in probiotics and lots of SF, and I'm almost as good as new! Except when I'm under a lot of stress, of course.

I'm not saying this will be true of all IBS sufferers, but it's worth a shot to try to rule things out.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas and cramping; dairy and wheat intolerant

#338447 - 11/23/08 09:46 AM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

DID I read that you have tried the peppermint Teas OR FENNEL Teas? Also are you staying away from Dairy Products?

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review