All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anemia?
      #338093 - 11/13/08 05:27 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Anyone else deal with anemia? I've had it for years on and off. It's always so troublesome b/c the docs want me on 3 iron pills a day...which could KILL my belly! Not only does it make me C, it's the stomach pain that I cannot live with. I went to the doctor on Monday to see if he had any suggestions. here was our convo...(worth a laugh!)
ME: "Even the slow release iron tablets give me stomach pain.
DOC: "Well, they now make slow release tablets. Try those"

It was a bad doc appt. The minute I mentioned IBS, he stopped listening. I do get sick of the stigma attached with this. He pretty much repeated, "you're a healthy 25 year old female" and ignored my problems.

The only good is that I got a referral to a fabulous GI doc. (actually they said she wasn't accepting new patients, but I talked my way into a feb appt!!)

So, I'm rambling. Anyone with anemia? They told me to eat tons of beef and take 3 iron pills. That won't work. Any other helpful hints?

Thanks!!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: anemia? new
      #338101 - 11/14/08 03:35 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey Aly,
I also have anemia. I was diagnosed with it after I had open heart surgery a little over a year ago. They said I had lost too much blood. Their solution as well was eat beef, cook on an iron pan, and eat greeen leafy vegetables. Hmm... I dont have an iron pan, and the other things make me terribly sick. So honestly I just deal. I refuse to take iron pills. They also make my stomach feel like it wants to jump out of my body. But just recently I have been having some heart problems again (and random morning IBS attacks) so I went back to the doc and he had me do bloodwork for my tyroid, electrolytes and anemia. So we will see how that comes out. I unfortunelty I dont know what to do to help the anemia seeing as the solutions none of us IBSers can tolerate. I also plan on getting pregnant this summer and I know my doc. is going to want to put me on iron pills and I dont know what I'm going to do.
Well sorry this didnt really help you, but youre not the alone!

Stefanie

#338112 - 11/14/08 09:19 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

How about getting iron shots as opposed to a pill which can cause big time problems. There's more info at http://health.yahoo.com/blood-treatment/iron-deficiency-anemia-treatment-overview/healthwise--hw167027.html.
Vitamin C can also aid in iron absorption.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#338161 - 11/16/08 03:09 PM
mloomis

Reged: 08/21/08
Loc: British Columbia. Canada

Hi Aly
I am also anemic and have been on and off for years , I am IBS-D and the regular iron pills upset my stomach also. My doctor has recomended Fera. I get it from the health food store, she said I need to be on it for 6 months , I felt a huge improvement after 4 weeks, and it does not bother me in the least. You might try the health food store for their Iron, I live in Canada so I am not sure if you can get the same brand, but it's worth a try, good luck

#338165 - 11/16/08 06:19 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I take Spatone which doesn't seem to affect my tummy. I also have taken Floravit in the past which I also found tolerable.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

question for all who answered... new
      #338299 - 11/18/08 05:17 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

So, I took the sow release iron pills for 8 days. I've spent the week miserable with cramping and multiple BMs each day. Horrible! I know iron is supposed to cause C, but it isn't with me. Could it still be the iron upsetting my system? I really was pretty stable before...
Thanks

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: question for all who answered... new
      #338331 - 11/19/08 11:31 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Iron pills caused horrible cramping and a lot of nausea for me. Also I had "d" instead of "c" when I took iron. I would bet it is the iron, it took me a while (like a few days) to feel better after I stopped taking them. Good luck!

Stef

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2426

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review