All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about pain
      #337855 - 11/09/08 11:38 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi all,

I have a quick question to all on the board. Most who post seem to experience stomach cramps. I don't and never have had that kind of pain. I do however have wicked bloating and gas, along with occasional nausea, especially if I am on the serious C side. I would not say I have the kind of pain most seem to experience, but it is very, very uncomfortable at times. I guess I am fortunate that I don't experience the serious cramping that some do. The only time I can ever remember having cramps, is one time when I had a touch of food poisioning. I have to say, I never want it again

My question is does anyone else out there not experience the stomach cramps?

Thanks,
Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about pain new
      #337858 - 11/09/08 11:58 AM
osbo54

#337876 - 11/09/08 04:31 PM
osbo54

Can anyone address my question???

Thanks

#337882 - 11/09/08 07:50 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

You are lucky - cramps are no fun, I have them and the severity depends on the trigger. You may want to keep a food diary to see what causes you the most problems with gas. Have you tried the SF diet? There are lots of suggestions on this site to address gas and bloating, just do a search.

Good luck,
Karen

#337889 - 11/10/08 06:50 AM
elfdream

Reged: 09/07/08
Loc: Shenandoah Valley VA

I alternate between D and C and I don't have a lot of trouble with cramps. I have had some in the past with the D but for right now the acacia supplement seems to have eliminated that. I have no cramps with C.

--------------------
IBS D/C /Fibromyalgia

Re: pain- to Karen 1415 new
      #337890 - 11/10/08 07:08 AM
osbo54

Thank you! This is just so hard to figure out. I will try to be brief. I suffered with C most of my life, (I am 54) up until last year. An incident last July, which was very traumatic and stressful for me, was the time of the bowel change. I had every kind of stool imaginable after that, but it was only in the morning, within the first two hours or so, after rising. For the rest of the day, no problems. It seemed to alternate between serious C and then D in the morning. I never knew what to expect, so that added to the morning drama. I happened upon this website, and looked at the criteria, and had two out of the three, which was why I ask about the cramps. I really do have pain, just not cramps, it's more discomfort. After reading about this condition, I wondered if maybe all my life, I have had this, and just did not know it. Sometimes, a laxative would not even move me.

Now, with the D also, this is really a challenge, not knowing what to expect. I am reading one of Heather's books, but I tell you this is so hard to figure out. I can go weeks and eat anything, and remain on the C side, and then BAM, out of the blue, I go all morning. So, it is very difficult to figure out what is the problem. When you are C, you don't know if it's something you ate yesterday or 10 days ago. Believe me, I can stay C that long.

One thing I just don't get, is how IF can cause constipation. I can understand how SF may lead to that, but IF should help. It makes no sense to me. All those years I was trying to make myself go with tons of IF, do you mean I was hurting myself instead?

Well, anyway, I bought the Acacia fiber, and from the first day I took it, I started to have normal formed stools. You would have thought I had won the lottery. Riduculous, isn't it...a normal human function; you eat and eliminate, at least most people do.

That good luck only lasted about a week, and then I flipped back to C, with occasional D again.

One other thing about the doc who did the colonoscopy. After the procedure he came in to talk with me, and said everything was OK. I asked where do we go from here, and he said he would refer me to another GI. I am just staring at this idiot like, well what the heck are you? A specialty within a specialty. Go figure! I was aggravated at that point, I never went back to him. Evidently, there are GI docs out there who only do the procedures, I guess because they bring in the big bucks, and then drop you like a hot potato. The funny thing is when I called to set up the appointment, I asked his office staff about the follow-up after the procedure, and they assured me that he could help.

So, I am still looking for a doc that can help. I don't think any of these country bumpkins can do a thing for me. I think I know more, from this website. I guess I will have to make the drive into Baltimore, to find a good doc.

Sorry, this got long. It shows my aggravation with the medical profession.

Lynn

Re: Pain/Osbo54 new
      #337938 - 11/11/08 08:32 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I'm not sure about your inquiry - is the question about pain or about finding a doctor in your area? If it's the latter - I live in Florida, so no help.
If it's regarding pain - I think you will find every symptom imaginable with IBS - even seemingly unrelated pain such as headaches, migraines, back/leg pain, muscle aches - etc., etc., etc. One thing triggers another.
As for not having cramps - just Thank God!
But, yes, I have experienced just the bloating and even nausea w/o the cramping, not often though, espeically when I'm vascillating between D & C every other day.
My siser-in-law has been constipated all of her life and has the swelling and bloating, but never the cramping - but she does not have IBS either.
Blessing! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (11/11/08 08:32 AM)

Re: Pain/Osbo54 new
      #337963 - 11/11/08 11:45 AM
osbo54

Thanks GaGa,

I guess my question was both. I am so frustrated with the medical profession.
As I said, I never have the stoamch cramps. I am blessed for that.
I would like to find a doc who can give me an accurate DX.

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: pain- to Karen 1415 new
      #337964 - 11/11/08 12:11 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

One thing I just don't get, is how IF can cause constipation. I can understand how SF may lead to that, but IF should help. It makes no sense to me. All those years I was trying to make myself go with tons of IF, do you mean I was hurting myself instead?

IF increases in size when it absorbs water, this bulks up the stool increasing pressure on the bowel. In an IBS person where the bowel is irritable the increased pressure may cause bowel spasms similar to those cause by fat resulting in C or D. Another thing that might happen is the IF gets fermented in the bowel again increasing pressure inducing spasms. SF doesn't absorb water but in water it acts like a gel. This give the bowel something to squeeze against that is flexible. Some SF can ferment in the bowel producing gas. Some people do better with some kinds of SF compared with others.

I believe one of the goals for a C person is to find the right ratio between SF and IF starting with more SF than IF and then slowly increasing IF. However, you may find you need a lot of SF before you can reduce the C.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: pain- to syl new
      #337968 - 11/11/08 02:50 PM
osbo54

But Syl, I don't have any spasms that I am aware of???? Can your bowel kind of lock up and all you feel is the uncomfortableness of the C? I have never had any kind of stomach cramps...just the bloated, nauseous, gassy feeling.

And, it still doesn't make sense to me. If both bulk up the stool, what is the difference? Call me dumb, I just don't get it.

The D is so sporadic and only in the AM, I am at a loss for what my body is doing. Then I am freakin C for weeks. SOOOOOOOOO frustrating!!!

Thanks for your post, though.

Lynn

#337969 - 11/11/08 03:20 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Bowel spasms are not necessarily things you 'feel' but rather they are things you 'experience' such as gas and bloating. Bowel spasms are sensed and controlled by a part of our primitive nervous system that evolved long before conscious feelings.

Heather talks about slow bowel spasms this way. "In people prone to constipation, if those spasms are too strong they'll actually "seize up" the colon in a type of charley horse, and motility can halt altogether".

There is no reason that some triggers might produce spasms that produce D in some people and C in others.

It might help to think metaphorically of IF as water logged bits of fiber such as pieces of husk found in cooked oatmeal and SF as a soft gel or the mushy part of the oatmeal. Both bulk up the stool but in completely different ways. Also IF is mechanically abrasive to the bowel while SF isn't. Mechanical abrasion of an irritated bowel lining might cause spasms. IF and SF exert different kinds of pressure producing different kinds of bowel responses. The bowel may be the most complicated organ in the human body

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337970 - 11/11/08 03:57 PM
osbo54

OK- that makes a little more sense when you say the word 'abrasive'. That does make sense in the fact that IF would irritate, whereas a gel would be more soothing. But, most of the healthy foods for us are IF. Now, that is sad to me. I can also understand the 'seizing up', as that would explain the absolute shutting down of my bowels at times. So, I am starting to get it. (a little)

And, you are right, the bowel is complicated. I am coming to realize that.

Thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1685 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2767

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review