All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Starting over with diet
      #337849 - 11/09/08 08:01 AM
gassymichael

Reged: 11/08/08

So waking to relies I need an eating plan here is my thoughts.

Current situation - very gassy (trapped) - Loose (not especailly "D" - stabbing pain in lower right intestine.

3 x Tummy tamers a day
1/2 teaspoon of acacia twice a day going to 1 treaspoon after week 1

Breakfast - whole wheat toast

Lunch - white rice salad with chopped salad

Evening meal - Chicken - white rice/potatoe and salad bowl

Drinks - flattened ginger ale and peppermint tea 3 times a day, 1500ml of water

Thinking if adding fennel oil to the mix.

What does everyone think, any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starting over with diet new
      #337850 - 11/09/08 08:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The whole wheat toast and salad are high in insoluble fiber which may cause gas and pain. Also, the ginger ale may contain high fructose corn syrup which can be a problem too. Try replacing high insoluble fiber foods with high soluble fiber foods. See this web page for an explanation of soluble fiber and this web page for an explanation of insoluble fiber.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337852 - 11/09/08 10:07 AM
gassymichael

EEK does not leave much does it

Back to drawing board then

#337853 - 11/09/08 10:42 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I think it would help you to get the IBS diet book as there's tonnes of great food you can eat in there. It also explain the philosophy behind the diet. It is hard at first to get your head around the diet as it can seen eliminating the common triggers leave you nothing to eat. However I promise you I'm eating a more varied, healthy and above all delicious diet post IBS that pre IBS. It has also helped resolve my pain and loose/urgent BM issues.

Here's a typical day in my diet:

Breakfast: Porridge or rice krispes or cornflakes with soy milk and a SF supplement (SFS) sprinkled in. I also take a probiotic and calcium supplement in the morning.

Snack: usually a slice of cake I made over the weekend or some arrowroot cookies or baked chips.

Lunch: white bagel with apple sauce or leftover pasta.

Snack: as before

Dinner: Fish or chicken with white rice or veg (sweet potatoes, carrots or squash). Calcium supplement.

Before bed: Probiotic and then a banana smoothie with berries and some SFS.

By the way I moved to Canada from Scotland last year. I think the stress from the move worsened my IBS so the same thing could be happening to you. It would be worth it to look into stress reliving therapies like yoga or meditation. Even regular walks (around 1.5 miles) help me relax.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#337854 - 11/09/08 10:56 AM
gassymichael

Hi

Thanks for the advise, yes i do attribute my IBS to stress, anxiety and the move and also running a business from home. Not easy this emigrating thing is it but worth it.

It was interesting to hear that white bread (good quality) is ok and brown is not, and the list of vegtables is huge, just when i thought veggies were god for me.

I will definately try the book and look into your diet plan more, although fish is off the menu being allergic.

#337888 - 11/10/08 04:27 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Your meals actually don't look awful, they just need a small amount of modification:

Breakfast - swap wheat toast for white toast - eat with jam or a small amount of nut butter, NOT butter. Corn or rice based cereals are good as well with a non-dairy milk. If you suffer from C, sneak some IF in there in the form of some berries or something.

Lunch - swap green salad for a sandwich on white bread with a small amount of lettuce/tomato/pepper/favorite veggies on it. The larger amount of SF in the bread will help with the digestion of the IF. Or you can make a pasta or rice salad with some veggies in it - just watch out for the fat in salad dressings!

Dinner - keep the rice/potato and chicken! I'd eat cooked veggies, though, not salad. Pasta is good for dinner as well. If you can handle tofu, that may be a good protein option for you since you can't eat fish.

Snacks - bananas, applesauce (if you can handle the fructose content), low fat crackers (not whole wheat), animal crackers, baked corn chips with bean dip are all good, safe options.

I'd be very cautious of switching your diet to ALL SF - it's fine for a few days if you're experiencing D, however longer term it's just a recipe for major constipation.

--------------------
IBS-C

IF and C new
      #337929 - 11/11/08 07:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is nearly impossible to eat only SF except in the form of soluble fiber supplements. Most plant based foods even processed ones like white rice contain SF and IF. The SF and other functional fibers that act like SF are normally found within cells while IF is found in the cell membrane and other structures.

There is plenty of IBS research that shows IF in particular bran even in small amounts can exacerbate IBS symptoms including C. Below are reference with links to abstracts of some of these studies with some excerpts. Generally speaking IBSers including those that are predominately IBS-C appear to do better when bran is eliminated and foods that contain more SF than IF are included in the diet. However, it is possible that those with IBS-C may need more SF than those with IBS-D.

Each individual whether they are IBS-C or IBS-D has to figure out how much IF they can tolerate before their symptoms including C get worse.

References

Francis, C. Y. and P. J. Whorwell, 1994: Bran and irritable bowel syndrome: time for reappraisal. Lancet, 344, 39.

"Our impression was that bran, even in small amounts, makes IBS worse and that patients are often more aware of this than their doctors. In this study we assessed patients' perception of the effect of fibre, in particular bran, on their symptoms of IBS."

Matthew, J. V. L. and P. J. Whorwell, 1998: Bran: may irritate irritable bowel. Nutrition, 14, 470.

"Careful scrutiny of some of the bran trials does show evidence of a tendency to cause negative effects. Cann et al.21 reported that pain and urgency were significantly more frequent in patients receiving bran, and that stools became less formed in diarrhea predominant subjects. Review of Snook and Shepherd's data shows a number of patients actually becoming more symptomatic while taking bran. High rates of withdrawal in several fiber trials also suggest that the treatment was either ineffective or poorly tolerated. The problem with therapeutic trials is that they are designed to look for benefits of therapies; therefore, negative findings can sometimes, unintentionally, be overlooked."

Bijkerk, C. J., J. W. M. Muris, J. A. Knottnerus, A. W. Hoes, and N. J. De Wit, 2004: Systematic review: the role of different types of fibre in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 19, 245-251.

"Soluble and insoluble fibres have different effects on global irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. Indeed, in some cases, insoluble fibres may worsen the clinical outcome."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1754

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review