All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What happened?
      #337636 - 11/02/08 04:39 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

So I've been pretty stable lately, no major problems.
About a week ago I got a cold, which I realize is not the best for the stomach between all the cold medicines etc. I have been taking cough medicine at night for about a week now, it has HFCS in it, but that never bothered me before (although I rarely have it) especially in small doses. So I was absolutely fine (stomach wise) for that time. Then today all of a sudden my stomach went absolutely crazy and I was in the bathroom for like an hour, it was horrible. I have two possibilities for what caused it.

#1- I haven't been taking vitamins for awhile. I stopped taking them when I started EFI because I just didn't know if they fit into the ideas. Today I decided to take one in hopes that the nutrients would up my immune system and I could get rid of this cough. I took a One A Day Women's with my oatmeal this morning.

#2- I have been taking Ricola Honey Mint Throat drops for the past week as well. I haven't had more than maybe 6 or 7 per day. Today I was looking at a house and I didn't want to be coughing a lot so I popped maybe like 5 in one hour- this was about an hour or two before my stomach started really bothering me.

What do you think? Was it the vitamins or the Ricola's? I can easily stop the Ricola's I think but I'd like to eventually be able to take vitamins again, but not with those results!

Would love to hear opinions!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What happened? new
      #337670 - 11/03/08 06:39 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

My gastroenterologist mentioned that IBS symptoms tend to become more severe when other parts of the body are stressed or ill. The body's nervous system is interconnected, so this makes sense. I have had attacks after cough drops, but I could not tell if they were attributed to being sick or IBS, probably a bit of both.

Vitamins are tricky; I recently switched to Nature Made liquid soft gels because other brands caused me C. IBS is a condition that has to be managed, we'll never be cured, but we can find out what works to keep us stable most of the time and it may not always work every time, especially when we are sick; therefore, it is in our best interest to take good care of ourselves and do what we can to prevent getting sick i.e. exercise, fresh air, relax, eat healthy, and use hand sanitizer. The diet tips on this site and having a great doctor have helped me the most to manage IBS.

BTW - I came up with a few positive associations for IBS:

I Be Special
I Be Spectacular
I Be Splendid
I Be Sensational
I Be Savvy
I Be Super

Karen

#337703 - 11/04/08 03:35 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

They are not sugar-free throat drops, are they?

Re: What happened? - to karen new
      #337708 - 11/04/08 06:53 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Karen,
That is so true when you said that IBS seems to worsen when other body parts are stressed or ill. I never had A until I fractured my back and then I started to have the D & C. I was a nervous, painful wreck, and I know for a fact that the injury caused the IBS to alternate all of a sudden.

Lynn

Re: What happened? - to karen new
      #337710 - 11/04/08 07:18 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

So sorry about your accident. Have you tried the IBS audio program? It mentions that sometimes surgeries can cause IBS. I noticed you are also in MD, Dr. Megan Willard in Ellicott City is a great doctor, and Dr. Posner, who wrote the forward for Heather's book, is in MD too. I am not sure if he still practices.

Good luck!

Karen

#337752 - 11/06/08 07:43 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Vitamins always upset me. The only ones I've found that don't are (don't laugh) Flintstones. You have to read the labels, though, because some of their varieties just have sugar, but others have artificial sweeteners (which are no-nos).

The whole stress to your body thing must be true. I'm having a flareup this week that started when my back went out! You wouldn't think they'd be connected, but I guess our bodies are just wired that way.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review