All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My Problem with the IBS Diets
      #337476 - 10/28/08 09:13 AM
MichB

Reged: 10/28/08
Loc: New Jersey

Hi I am new here! I do not actually have an IBS diagnosis yet but I do believe that I have some form of it.
I have had Upper GI problems for the past 11 months. I've been to 2 gastro docs, the first one said it was my gallbladder and wanted me to have it surgically removed.
I've had 3 endoscopies, MRI/MRCP, and 2 ultrasounds.
All of those tests ruled out gallstones, however since my pancreas was inflamed and my amalyse was still elevated doc #1 still wanted the gallbladder out or have an ERCP for possible SOD (shpincter of oddi dysfunction).
I was taking pancreatic enzymes and donnatal for the first 8 months and eating a gluten free low fat, restricted diet.
This is when I went for the 2nd opinion. 2nd doc says it's not my gallbladder or pancreatitis! He puts me on Librax (which is for IBS) and Xantac. I ask him if he thinks I have IBS and he says, that he is not comfortable making a diagnois yet but assures me it is not pancreatitis even though my amalyse is slightly elevated.
Anyway, after looking up what Librax was for I started researching IBS. I believe that I have some form of IBS motility disorder and possibly IBS-C.
I have bought several books on IBS and have been following a diet in a book by Dr. Ash.
My problem with the IBS diets is every book and every diet is contradictory. There are things in your diet that Dr. Ash says not to eat and vice versa.
So I am really confused as to which diet and which foods are right. I guess that means more experimenting and elimination diets, which I have been doing since Dec. (I have also lost over 15lbs). I cannot afford to lose that weight either, I am 5'3 and usually 110lbs is my healthy weight, I am down to 97lbs and was down to 94 at the worst.
Doc #2 told me to start eating everything again in order to gain weight. After his advice I started eating dairy again and immediately had bloating and pain. So I do know that's one of the triggers. I stopped eating gluten early on so I haven't went back to wheat products. Another factor is the yeast connection. The diet for candidiasis totally contradicts all the diets, ie. no sugar, carbs etc.
So I am really confused as to which diet is right, anyone else having the same dilema????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Problem with the IBS Diets new
      #337483 - 10/28/08 10:27 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

People deal with IBS in different ways. I know my sister deals with her IBS-D a lot differently than I deal with mine.

I found this website when my IBS was at its worst, and it has been a lifesaver for me, personally. (I can't speak to any other IBS diets, because this is the only one I've tried.) While it was a long road to stability, I felt results from this diet within the first week or two.

How long have you followed each diet? Which one works better for you? I won't say that this is the only IBS diet that works, but it works well for me. My point is, choose your "guru." I know there's a lot of conflicting info, but go with the one that makes the most sense to you and works best for you.

#337488 - 10/28/08 01:17 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Snorkie gave some very good advice. I've been battling with IBS-C for a while now, and Heather's diet has been the best so far. Just watch overeating, that is my weakness and I'm suffering today (from sunday). My doc told me that the attacks may not be triggered from what I'm eating at the moment they start; however, they are more likely caused from what I had to eat two days ago. Doesn't really help the elimination process does it?

I tried Heather's suggestion about only eating starches (i.e. potatoes (no skins) rice, chex, carrots, tummy fiber, etc.) and SF for a few days, and I felt great!! No attacks, then I started adding back in IF and some chicken, fish, and turkey, and I am still great. When I get an attack, I go back and look what I've had different in the last few days, and go from there. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#337529 - 10/29/08 07:14 AM
MichB

Reged: 10/28/08
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks for your suggestions they are appreciated.
I guess I am just frustrated from trying soo many different diets and having most of them fail (since I'm still in pain). Now the one I was just starting to follow says no carrots or potatos, starch=carbs=excess sugar?
Thats what I mean about confliction. But like you guys said different foods work for different bodies. I guess I gotta keep trying. This board has a lot of info and I have been reading everything I can on here, thanks everyone!

#337549 - 10/29/08 06:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There really is no contradiction amongst people who really know what they are talking about. Doctors just say to eat more fiber but don't understand the difference between SF and IF. If you find a good doctor (I have a great GI doc) that has done more than the usual research they will agree with Heather's diet.
The candida diet and those for reducing acidity don't necessarily contradict the IBS diet either. The IBS diet doesn't recommend eating sugar- it is a choice. So definitely stay away from it. Also you don't have to eat carbs per se. You can eat vegetable sources of SF and be fine. The IBS diet can mesh with gluten free diets or soy free diets or sugar free diets or flour free diets. Just watch the fat intake, keep SF in the gut, and eat healthier food. And for you, lots of it!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#338582 - 11/26/08 05:05 AM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

I too feel the same confusion in regard to diets. What causes this for me is the mixture of symptoms that I have which I believe strongly are related to fibromyalgia. Irritable bowel is only one part of the problem.

And so I've tried all sorts of approaches in regard to diet. This board has helped tremendously, especially when it was only that one symptom that bothered me. Now, I must deal with even more.

I am underweight and most of what I've learned is that I will never gain on any IBS diet, so I must be content with being thin. I would like to add something in the form of desserts for weight gaining.

On one website I'm told to allow dairy, but to avoid sugar and use artificial sweeteners. On another, I'm told artificial sweeteners are triggers, and to avoid them. I avoid both, and eat primarily lean meats, vegetables and fruits in small meals.

If I could exist without eating, I certainly would live a fuller life. It would be a wonderful relief to not have to think about food.
Dave

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

Edited by david8463 (11/26/08 05:08 AM)

#338593 - 11/26/08 06:31 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

Hi Dave,
Don't give up!

Many of us here can certainly relate to the multi-problem scenerio. From Interstitial Cystitus, Gastritis, fibromyalgia and so much more....

Having an additional problem to deal with creates frustration and hard to determine which food are safe.

I don't know how the others here feel, but I don't think adding dairy to your diet is a good idea. And anything "artificial" should send a red flag as to whether it should be eaten.

Rice milk has been wonderful for me personally. As is chex cereals (corn and rice). I know others here like Almond milk and soy (soy makes my IBS flare up if I have too much).

With all the savvy cooks here.... I know there are lots of desserts listed here that use these as a dairy replacement.

I hope you can find something that helps you soon!

take care,
Carolyn

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

I agree with Snorkie new
      #338644 - 11/27/08 12:14 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Just beause a diet works for a lot of people it doesn't mean it will work for all people. Decide which diet seems to make the most sense for you specifically in terms of triggers and general rules et.c. If you're still unsure, then try one diet at a time and see how you feel. Remember that a period of adjustment may be necessary for the digestive system if you change the diet drastically and quickly.

I was on the EFI for 1.5 years and it was hard for me to say if there was any significant difference when it came to my IBS symptoms. However I lost quite some weight and ended up underweight and not looking healthy at all. I decided to keep experimenting and tried a different diet (completely grain and sugar free) and felt a bit better. I was able to then increase my fat intake and got back to a healthy weight easily.

The point is most diets have some logic to them. But we're all individuals so we all have to find out for ourselves which diet works the best. As Little Minnie pointed out, you can follow the EFI diet but make it grain free. But in that case it can be hard to get enough energy from the food. Vegetables don't contain much energy, so you need to make sure you get enough carbs and/or fat in your diet to cover your energy needs.

It would be really nice if there did exist a solution that works for everyone but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You need to figure out for yourself what works for you so you don't end up being scared of eating everything you hear that other people have problems tolerating.

Good luck!

/Ulrika

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 736 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review