All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Blood and mucus in stool
      #337332 - 10/25/08 09:32 AM
Meoc

Reged: 08/25/08
Loc: Rhode Island

Hate to sound gross, but I am having a bad D day. And I experienced red blood and a lot of mucus in my stool today. I have been diagnosed with IBS for a year, and I had all the tests to rule out UC and Crohns. Has this happened to others. I don't know whether I should call my Doctor, or wait it out?
Thank you,
Maria
IBS-D one year

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Blood and mucus in stool new
      #337334 - 10/25/08 09:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Red blood is usually indicative of bleeding in the lower part of the GI tract, for example from hemorrhoids or anal fissures. It is likely ok to wait a day or two and see if the problem goes away.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337366 - 10/25/08 12:39 PM
Meoc

Reged: 08/25/08
Loc: Rhode Island

Thanks for responding Syl. Don't want to be nosey, but has this ever happened to you? I am a bit panicky, I keep thinking today that the tests were wrong and that I really do have UC or Crohns. My mind is in a bad place today.-Thanks,
Maria

#337367 - 10/25/08 12:44 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - it has happened to me. If the problem persists for a couple of days then you may want to call your doctor.

Here is a link to a page on the Mayo Clinic web site. You enter the details for the blood in the stool and it gives possible reasons.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337373 - 10/25/08 08:17 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Maria,
My UC started that way (blood and mucous), and after a scope, the doctor could not find evidence of colitis or crohn's. Said it was IBS and/or stress after having my first baby. After awhile(4 months or so), the symptoms went away, and then eventually returned when I was finally diagnosed with UC. I am NOT saying you have UC or Crohn's!!, but don't let it go too long before you get checked out again. Do you have other symptoms with the bleeding and mucous...pain, fatigue, cramping, feverish/chills at times, nausea, weight loss? Don't get panicky. Could be inflammation due to something else...gluten intolerance, for instance. See how it goes the next few days, but after that, I'd be calling a doctor, just for peace of mind.

#337390 - 10/26/08 01:21 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Maria -
Me too... Mucus usually w/ the diarrhea and bright red blood when constipated - from hems.... I'm not telling you not to tell your doctor, but it is very commone - more common w/ constipation than diarrhea. Bloody diarrhea is definitely something you need to report to your doctor.
Hope it helps to know others have gone through it too.
{{Hugs & Prayers}} -Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#337451 - 10/27/08 05:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

This happened to my hub last Friday just for one day following some AM D. He doesn't have IBS. It is assumed that a slight trauma happened with the D and gave him the light bleeding and mucus. I urged him to wait til Monday to see if it went away and it only lasted the one day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3391 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2171

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review