Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Please post your SAFEST foods :)
      #337165 - 10/20/08 08:42 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Hi everybody,
I've been on the IBS roller coaster for awhile now. I've had months where I have been stable, and then months when I have not been. I was following the EFI diet strictly for awhile, and was starting to incorporate some new foods with some success. A few weeks ago I got a stomach bug I think (or a bad round of IBS) and I ate strictly "what to eat when you can't eat anything"- it seemed to solve the stomach bug but then I was C for over a week without a BM. I am generally IBS-A, more prone to C but I get both. After that week without a BM I have been back to A again, and having horrible painful gas. SO... I am going back on strict what to eat when you can't eat anything, and hopefully this time it will not lead to C. Would love some ideas of your safest foods to get myself out of this horrible cycle. Thanks!

Also, I am considering adding the Rainbow Light multivitamin. I normally don't take a vitamin because I was scared it would bother my stomach, but I am starting to really be concerned about nutrition and overall health. It looks like people on here have had success with Rainbow Light, has anyone had any problems with it?

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please post your SAFEST foods :) new
      #337167 - 10/21/08 03:59 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Hi KTeach! I'd been wondering where you've been! Good to see your name pop up again

Rice chex are my safest food. Dry, straight out of the box. Always settles my tummy when it's upset.

I also eat plain pasta (with a little bit of sea salt) when I'm having a bad day. I've yet to figure out if wheat is a problem for me or it (but definitely leaning toward it) so I eat a brown rice pasta called Tinkyada. I actually prefer it to regular pasta at this point.

I eat bananas every day as well, because they're portable for work and I know I can digest them. Contrary to popular belief, they don't worsen C - they just don't help it either.

Sorry I can't help you with the vitamins, I don't take a multi.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
IBS-C

#337168 - 10/21/08 04:32 AM
Kteach84

Thanks Fen! I've been lurking, just not posting a lot
I definitely need to get some Rice Chex, I used to eat them a lot and then forgot about them for some reason. I'm interested in this pasta you mentioned. I don't *think* wheat is a problem for me, but of course I clearly have no idea what is a problem for me at this point! Do you find the brown rice is okay? I know that is one of those half soluble half insoluble foods. I can usually handle oatmeal though so I probably could do it. Do you just find it at your regular grocery store?

--------------------

#337170 - 10/21/08 06:08 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I do ok with brown rice most of the time, but never have a problem with the pasta. I don't know what grocery chains you have near you - I find it in the health food section of my regular grocery store. If you can't find it there, definitely in your health food store.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C

#337175 - 10/21/08 12:23 PM

Unregistered

I think sticking the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" is your best bet. My safest foods are things such as rice, baked potato, bananas, etc....I take a generic Centrum everyday after dinner with no problems.

#337176 - 10/21/08 12:30 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My safest foods are oatmeal, apple sauce, white rice, carrots (raw or cooked), chicken breast, and bananas.

I take the Nature Made Multi for Her. So long as I don't take it on an empty stomach, I have never had any issues with it.

#337182 - 10/21/08 12:59 PM
Evie H

Reged: 10/14/08
Loc: Northern California

Hi,
One thing I do almost daily is eat a soy yogurt with either rice chex or corn flakes mixed in. Something about the yogurt just starts my day off right. Also, one of my staples for lunch is the noodle bowls from Trader Joes. I get either Miso or Udon, throw away the spice packs and just use the sause packs. I then put my own toppings on such as shredded carrots, zuchini, maybe some tofu...depending on how my tummy is, is how much stuff I get to put on top. On a good day, I might throw some turkey or chicken breast. By dinner, most nights I'm not able to eat a lot. but will try to get in a bowl of oatmeal or light dinner of steamed veggies and pasta or potato or rice. and ofcourse if all is going well I'll soy or rice dream ice cream for a treat. tea w/acacia fiber all day for fluid. No vitamins unfortunately, can't seem to find ones that work.

--------------------
IBS C

#337197 - 10/22/08 04:12 AM
Kteach84

I am going to Trader Joe's today so I will look for the noodles. Are they just the Trader Joe's brand? What section should I find them in?

Thanks for all the great ideas!

~Kelly

--------------------

#337249 - 10/23/08 03:54 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I eat the Tinkyada pastas too! I love them and taste great with the Amy's Brand Family Marinara sauce.

Some of my safe foods include Stonyfield Farms fat-free yogurt, I eat it every morning with cereal. My cereals include Puffins, Peace Cereal, Annies (with the bunny on the box) and Nature's Path Honeyed Corn Flakes and Mesa Sunrise cereals.

I eat a lot of bananas, potatoes, cooked peas, carrots and zuchinni as well. If I eat apples I slice and cook them in water in the microwave.

I can't eat wheat either so I eat Ezekiel sprouted grain bread and tortillas. I also take Rainbow Light vitamins and calcium. Though I might have to switch to another all natural vitamin brand for the price of Rainbow Light is kind of pricey.

Hope this will help some of you out there, good luck and don't give up hope!

#337250 - 10/23/08 05:09 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Jenny,

And here I was worried about the health of this diet. Your diet sounds great! I will try some of those brands.

lynn

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3619 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4637

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review