All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Different Cheeses
      #337081 - 10/16/08 07:31 PM
beezer00

Reged: 01/16/08

I am not able to handle dairy food with my IBS. However, I have never tried goat cheese before (only dairy products from cow's milk). Does anybody know if goat cheese affects the body differently or if the body handles it better?
Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Different Cheeses new
      #337084 - 10/17/08 04:05 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

If I remember correctly, goat cheese contains casein, whey, and lactose, all of which can be very hard to digest. Goat cheese is also high in fat, which makes it hard for us to eat.

Everybody is different, maybe you will be able to tolerate goat cheese. But according to the EFI guidelines, all cheeses (except for nondairy cheeses) are out.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Different Cheeses new
      #337089 - 10/17/08 07:36 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Goat dairy is widely known to be more digestible than cow dairy. Do a google search on this - it has to do with the structure of the milk proteins, which are more similar to human breast milk so easier for us to break down. Also, hard cheeses have almost no lactose - so you might find some grated hard goat cheese (like romano) on your pasta or veggies very tolerable.

It must be said that eating any dairy is not part of Heather's diet, however I do incorporate a little goat cheese and lowfat goat yoghurt and they do not impact my symptoms.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review