All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Clindamycin & IBS
      #337010 - 10/14/08 05:56 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

Hope I'm in the right forum. I was wondering if anyone had ever been treated with the antibiotic, clindamycin and as a result started exhibiting IBS. Back in June I was prescribed this medicine for a dental surgery. One of the side effects of it was diarrhea. I took the drug for a week. Since then I have had chronic diarrhea for a little over 3 months. I've had a colonoscopy and a C/T done on my abdominal region. All came back normal. No gluten intolerance, colitis, or Crohn's. My doctor says I'm suffering from post infectious IBS and has no idea how long it will take to go. I'm beginning to wonder if this is now a part of my life. I have made several dietary changes, incorporated fiber and aloe vera supplements into my eating routine, lost 40lbs. and have started an exercise routine. For the last 3 weeks I've been mostly diarrhea free but I still have "attacks" of it every now and then. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Clindamycin & IBS new
      #337013 - 10/14/08 06:25 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I have a heart condition that causes me to take an antibiotic every time I go to the dentist. I typically was prescribed clindamycin. I have been loaded up with antibiotics my whole life- including clindamycin. I take almost 1,000 mg of clindamycin before a dental appointment. Plus before any procedure-dental or not, I need to take an antibiotic. A little over a year ago I had open heart surgery but still have to take the antibiotics before the dentist for the rest of my life. After surgery is when my IBS seemed to kick in. I am pretty convinced that all the antibiotics and the trauma of surgery had somewhat to do with my IBS. Whether or not my IBS will ever go away I dont know seeing as last night I had an attack. So I do think that antibiotics play a role in IBS. For now I try to put some probiotics back into my system to try and replace the good bacteria thats been killed over all these years. I hope that helps!!! Good luck!

Stefanie

Re: Clindamycin & IBS new
      #337015 - 10/14/08 07:01 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

Thanks Stefanie. Will do. I've actually been taking acidophilus (Culturelle, refrigerated kind) for over 2 months. I've noticed my symptoms have improved but its been a slow process. I wish I could have stopped myself from ever taking that antibiotic.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2483 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review