All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Casein in soy cheese??
      #336972 - 10/13/08 05:37 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

So I had been feeling fairly well lately. I dont cheat, I just stick to the diet and the basics. But I've missed pizza! So I went to Trader Joes, bought fat free pizza sauce (I tolerate fat free pasta sauce), pizza dough that had only 1 gram of fat and no dairy etc. mushrooms and "soy cheese". The soy shredded cheese made me very nervous cause it had casein in it. But how do I know if I can tolerate it unless I try it. I made my pizza, not 10 minutes after eating it, heres the "d" and the pain. I assume it was the casein??
What is "casein"? And how can something claim to be "dairy and lactose free" if it still has a milk derivitive in it?!
Plus I have yet to be able to find a soy cheese product without casein in it. Has anyone found one? Also I really dont want to give up on pizza yet. Does anyone have any good/safe pizza ideas? I am so sad now cause I was really excited about pizza. Back to square one I guess.

Stefanie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Casein in soy cheese?? new
      #336987 - 10/14/08 09:00 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

The package definitely should NOT have said "dairy free" if it contained casein, which is a milk protein. I can't tolerate that either, so I understand! Vegan Gourmet makes a really good vegan cheese, and it melts pretty well, too. One trick I've found is if you're trying to get a soy cheese topping to melt in the oven (like with pizza), turn on your broiler for the last 2-3 minutes. It will make the cheese just start to bubble and brown.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#336988 - 10/14/08 11:17 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I was having the same prolbem to I use vegan gourmet mozzerlla its ok it don't make me sick when I eat it and it don't bother me. I wish I could hust do pizza sauce . Hope this helps good luck!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#337014 - 10/14/08 06:28 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Where do you guys find Vegan Gourmet? I looked it up and it said I can order it,but I would rather buy it at a store. Thanks for your help. I really dont want to give up on pizza!!

Stefanie

#337016 - 10/14/08 07:03 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I found mine at whole foods.

emamsmom
ibs-c gas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2710 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review