All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
misc food questions/align questions
      #336849 - 10/09/08 01:38 PM

Unregistered

I was wondering if gum is safe? I chew alot of take 5 and stride flavors.
.Also Is eating alof of spagetti noodles safe? I hope its not much IF..I also ate ragu lite with it, is that good? but it seems like it would be alot of IF there tomatoes onions and stuff in it.

So I was wondering about Align. I have some that expires 11/08..Is it ok to take it after the expiration? Also, it said bowel habits may change? If you've taken it could you tell me if you changed and how? Oh I know align sends emails and tips for taking it,but i've long lost that and stopped recieving it hence the close expiration on the bottle..So if you could share that info or forward me emails you've gotten from align? mn_211@yahoo.com or m_nice16@hotmail.com my myspace is maria_mnice

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: misc food questions/align questions new
      #336861 - 10/09/08 07:06 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If gas is a problem for you, gum is no good, for 2 reasons -it makes you swallow lots of air. Also most commercial gums contain artificial sweeteners like sorbitol, which also cause gas. I'm not sure about the two you mention, but you can check the ingredients list.

It's hard to say whether eating lots of pasta is bad, without knowing what the rest of your day's diet looks like. I have problems with wheat, any wheat pasta makes me C and bloated, but many people find it a very safe, easy food. Ragu will provide you with some IF, but maybe not enough compared to the SF in the pasta. Again, we each have a different IF/SF ratio requirment. If you are finding yourself C, feeling the need to go but unable to, then you probably need more IF.

Sorry I can't help you on Align, I've never taken it.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#336862 - 10/09/08 07:24 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

Chewing gum, using straws, and drinking carbonated beverages will cause you to swallow air and may contribute to gas. Ragu light spaghetti sauce with the pasta may be ok in small amounts (like a tablespoon on the side), only after you have first eaten soluble fiber, such as plain French or sourdough bread and soluble fiber supplements like Citrucel. This website has a list of safe soluble fiber foods: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp , as well as some great recipes. It is recommended that you read Heather's book "The First Year of IBS", the library may have copies if you want to take a look before purchasing.

As for Align, the package insert states that some people may notice a temporary increase in bloating that will go away as the body is adjusting to the probiotic. Once you start taking Align, you should take it continuously for a few months to see how it works for you, it is not something to start and stop. I e-mailed the manufacturer to ask if I should continue taking it when I am on antibiotics and they replied that some people experience worse symptoms if they stop taking it a few days. I was not on the IBS diet when I first started taking Align and I noticed a big improvement; however, it was not enough, following the diet has made the most significant improvement.

It would probably be better to get a fresh batch of Align to start on, ask your doctor for samples. Some insurances will allow you to deduct over-the-counter meds if you have a doctor's script, you have to check the provider's requirements.

Good luck!
Karen

#336869 - 10/10/08 09:20 AM

Unregistered

yes,the first ingridient is sorbitol.rrrrr! It's the best gum I've ever had too! Maybe my sister will buy it off me..Straws,that's a problems sice I work at mcdonalds and when anyone needs a drink you put a lid and straw on the cup its a health hazard not to when you have to set the cup on a counter,ect. w hile you're working..But I guess If i drank a few swallows of water without a lid and threw the cup away,sometimes its just too busy to even take the time to get yourself a drink so you end up having a cup with a straw around you all the time..I don't have money to buy a new batch until I get paid again and thats about the 16th..I'm already going to be about over $200 in the negative and my checks are less than $500..My insurance isn't that good,can't aford hardly anything..dont' have time to see a doctor ibs so bad to make appointments plus have a hard time getting rides when I need to anyway..I don't drive..So I'll just purchase align online.

#336871 - 10/10/08 09:26 AM

Unregistered

It's hard to say if it bothers me right now. I'm eliminating lots of problem food..So it will take a while before I figure things out. I ate tongs of plain spagetti noodles and altogether probly about half a cup of ragu sauce..i ate a can of mushrooms during the day too,besides that all I had was a caramel nut brownie luna bar..SO I mostly ate tons of spagetti. A day before yesterday I ate lots of unsafe foods..So I have to try my best if I ever want to leave my house besides going to work..Uhh my 21st birthday is on the 21st of this month..I love wine coolers,beer and stuff..I won't drink much but I guess If I have a terrible day or my boyfriend is over, one drink is fine..I really don't get hard stools and can'g go..I just have bad motility issues,incomplete evacuation..I am on the toilet all day going..But I'll see how everything goes with being strict with eating and taking align for a few monthes..Its so hard to afford Ibs supplements and buy groceries for myself..

hey karen.. new
      #336874 - 10/10/08 09:31 AM

Unregistered

I forgot to ask if you still had emails align sent you or brocures..if you could email them to me..or write everything they say in an email? S

should I take it on an empty stomach? or with food, or how about just drinking a cup of fennel and downing it with fennel tea?

karen,one more thing new
      #336876 - 10/10/08 09:59 AM

Unregistered

How long does it take to recieve align once u order it? I have 22 capsules and the expiration is 11/08.

Re: karen,one more thing new
      #336877 - 10/10/08 10:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If the expiry date is 11/08 they have not expired and they are good until the end of Nov of this year.

Here is link to the Align FAQ which tells you when and how to take then.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#336888 - 10/10/08 12:23 PM

Unregistered

I didn't realize pasta was Sf...I ate tons of it and my stools are almost too soft..but ill see how things go after a few monthes of eating well

Re: karen,one more thing new
      #336915 - 10/11/08 12:22 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

I usually receive Align within a week of ordering it. I do not have any more of the e-mails but as Syl indicated you can read the FAQ and sign up for the Align advisor here: https://www.aligngi.com/cgi-bin/advisorSignup.cgi

Per the Align FAQ, it can be taken any time of day; the only thing they do not recommend is opening the capsule and sprinkling on hot food. I take one with room temp water before going to sleep at night; I read that some medications taken at night work better, but some people on the forum take it in the a.m. and have no problems.

Karen

Edited by Karen1415 (10/11/08 12:24 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1695 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review