All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
treatment for sibo
      #336760 - 10/06/08 10:59 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I did a round of antibiotics for SIBO and there was no change. I've read that probiotics can help treat it too. Most probiotics contain dairy right? I thought dairy was a no no for SIBO... Can anyone clear this matter up? Also, are there any probiotics that have been helpful to other SIBO sufferers?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: treatment for sibo new
      #336784 - 10/07/08 06:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

An excellent review article (see first reference below) on prebiotics, probiotics and SIBO by a well-known GI researchers concluded "Probiotics appear, therefore, to possess a number of properties that could be of benefit in bacterial overgrowth and intestinal failure; their introduction into the therapeutic armamentarium, however, must await the results of well-conducted clinical trials as are performed for poorly absorbed antibiotics."

A recent study on a small number (18) of IBS patients found the probiotic Lactobacillus casei might have had some benefit but the trial was too small to draw any firm conclusions (see second reference).

Not all probiotics contain dairy. You have to read the ingredients label. Those that do contain dairy usually contain a very small amount and for many people it will not pose any problems. You might have to try them to find out. However, probiotics can also contain other things such as FOS which can be problematic for those with fructose malabsorption problems.

References
Quigley, E. M. M. and R. Quera, 2006: Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: Roles of antibiotics, prebiotics and probiotics . Gastroenterology, 130, S78-S90

Barrett, J. S., K. E. Canale, R. B. Gearry, P. M. Irving, and P. R. Gibson, 2008: Probiotic effects on intestinal fermentation patterns in patients with irritable bowel syndrome . World Journal of Gastroenterology, 14, 5020-5024.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review