All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Normal or Abnormal?
      #336501 - 09/25/08 07:19 AM
frodobaggins

Reged: 02/03/08

Hello!
I haven't been here for a while because I'm doing really well. I have been regular every day...a blessing from God. I have been a little backed up since I started taking vactiv. They say you can take it at ANY age...but it got me so constipated, I had bad bowel movements for about a week. And it made me sore "down there". Today, I had my first good movement since I took the vitamin, but it HURT! And it looked there was a little bright red in it. I don't understand how this just happened and I have never had problems before. Was it viactiv? My bum is STILL sore!
OUCH!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Normal or Abnormal? new
      #336514 - 09/25/08 10:17 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Is this a vitamin? If so i would try a different kind that may be better for your stomach unless your doc told you to take and then I would call him/her to ask. Is the pill red or did this look like blood? If blood I would make an apt with the doc. Sometimes and not to be gross but if you strain there can be blood from the opening

#336525 - 09/25/08 12:04 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Yup. Viactiv is a very high dose of calcium. That will definitely constipate you! Just make sure you are taking magnesium WITH your calcium from now on. Not only does Magnesium help your body absorb the calcium you are taking, it will also help to counteract the constipating effect.

Try Megafood's "CalMag." I've been taking it for years and never had a problem. It's wonderful. I take it at night...also helps me sleep

Good Luck!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#336529 - 09/25/08 01:42 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Viactiv also contains high fructose corn syrup and milk, both of which can mess with motility, either slowing it down or speeding it up.

If you need a calcium supplement, Tums or a swallow-able pill supplement would probably be safer. And you can get your chocolate fix in a safer way, such as chocolate soy milk (which would also help provide calcium!).

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4588 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review