Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tips for travelling in the Car
      #336316 - 09/21/08 06:28 PM
Meoc

Reged: 08/25/08
Loc: Rhode Island

Hello,
I have had IBS-D for about a year. I would love to get tips from others about traveling in a car. The mornings are the absolute worst for me. My ride to work is a half hour, however, I will leave my home at 7:00 am to arrive for 9:00am, because I am basically stopping to use the restroom at every exit. Oftentimes, the urgency to have a BM is so strong I could swear I will not be able to make it to the next exit,however, when I get to the toilet, nothing happens. I am having severe panic attacks during my commute. I have bought the Hypno CD's and I am on day 33, I have not experienced any relief yet, but remain optimistic. I would love to hear how others cope with commuting and how others calm themselves down, when they think they are going to have an "accident" in the car. Especially when they are stuck in traffic.
On an aside, I love to read the positive support on the message boards, when I am feeling low, it is nice to see that people do in fact get stable, and are able to work.
Thank you,
Maria

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tips for travelling in the Car new
      #336318 - 09/22/08 05:45 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Have you tried Imodium?Do your attacks continue through the day?And are you eating the EFI diet?
Mornings seem to worst for all ders.Me included.I find the pressure of having to leave at a certain time will trigger an attack.Once I get where I need to go I am usually fine.

You could also try Slippery Elm tablets to help calm your intestinal wall.That worked for me and the d stopped.I too am using the cds and find a great help so far.I'm on about 45 day.I found part way through though that I was in a lull and they didn't really seem to be working and started to panic again.
St Johns wort also helps with the anixety.If you haven't reached the severe panic attacks then I suggest starting on them right away.You should see a great improvement in the panic subsiding.I mostly have light panic attacks once in a while now and once I get through them i'm good.

Let us know what you are using to help.Them others will be able to help you more.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336336 - 09/22/08 12:25 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I think the St John's Wort may help but it can interfere with the pill so be careful when using it.

The immodium should help as well. It's not addictive and you don't build up a tolerance. You can also take it as a preventative before any d happens.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#336345 - 09/22/08 04:55 PM
Meoc

I want to thank Dragonfly and Glasgowgirl for responding. Here is a bit more info about me, as Dragonfly suggested. I am practicing Eating for IBS. I also take the Heather's fiber. My gastro doctor has prescribed Bentyl and Librax on an "as needed basis." Sorry for being so graphic, however, my BM's are somewhat normal, it is frequency and mostly the urgency that is terrible. Coupled with the horrible abdominal and stomach pain. I was in and out of being stable from October 2007 until May 2008, and then I have not been able to get rid of the urgency and the sharp pain and cramping. I feel that if I could get rid of the urgency, I could compartmentalize the pain. I get extremely panic ridden while I am in my car, knowing I have to be at a certain place at a certain time, with that feeling like I am going to have an accident any second. Does anyone have any "self talk" dialogue they say to themselves while driving and these BM urges come. I do take Immodium, and I was curious to know whether a person can build up a tolerance to it. So thank you to Glasgowgirl for answering. I appreciate everyone's input.
-Maria

#336348 - 09/22/08 05:41 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I understand completely. My daughter has planned a "surprise" trip to Disney World for us to accompany her, my son-in-law and 2 granddaughters - all expenses paid - 5 star hotel - cadillac to travel in - such a self-sacrificing elaborate gift and all I can think about is if I can travel 6 hours to Orlando and not be sick? What will I eat while I'm there? What if I get sick while I'm there? One of my biggest fears is letting someone down. This isn't even until December and I'm already freaked out with the "what ifs"!
It's so hard to plan anything in advance for many of us. I love the mountains and about a year ago my husband and I planned a trip to Northern Alabama, just about 30 miles from the Tennessee border. I'm a control freak so I had planned everything down to the "nth" detail and was so excited about the trip. What happened? I got sick on the way, spent 5 days in a cabin in the mountains, sick 24/7 and couldn't wait to get back home. Thank God! for an understanding husband.
I think one of my main problems is I try to "down play" my problems/illness. My daughter's reaction is fear that comes out as displaced anger, so I try to hide how I'm really feeling. Which in turn, makes me more stressed! Go Figure!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#336438 - 09/23/08 07:03 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Maria,

Wow, can I relate to your post. I am rather new here and usually post to the Living Room, but happened upon your post.

Everything you said is exactly what I deal with every morning for about the same commute time. Now, it has gotten to the point of being a crazy driver. Has that happened to you, yet? In my fear and anxiety about getting to where I need to go, I have started to drive like a mad woman. This is just not me, and I have got to change it.

This morning I was in such a panic to get to work, that I tailgated everyone down the road, changed lanes constantly, and ended up getting pulled over. The cop was nice, since I have a squeaky clean record, and just gave me a warning. He asked me if I was late for work, and of course I said, yes. I wondered later what he would have said, if I had just told him the truth. That I was suffering with a very disabling condition, and was doing the best I could.

Don't get me wrong...I have many wonderful days. Mornings are my only problem, and I know if I don't start with the problems within the first hour and half to two hours, then I will be OK for the day. I can't tell you how grateful and happy I feel when I have a really good day. Most of the time, when I am in a panic, it is for no reason, but sometimes it is. I just barely make it in the door at work, and I have to go quite a bit. So, I understand how you feel with the false alarms. You just can't take that chance and you have to stop. There is a really private, great Burger King restroom on my way to work that I hit often. No one is there that early, so I have relative privacy. I am lucky in the fact that I live in a rural area, so I am not on an interstate, and it makes a quick stop very easy.

This morning when that cop stopped me, I thought I am just going to die. My stomach was bubbling and noisy, I was afraid to pass gass,(for fear it might be stool), and he just took so long to run my license. I thought this it it...I am going to mess myself. But, when I got to work I had a few formed movements and was fine.

One thing that has helped me is talking to myself and realizing that it would not be the end of the world if an accident happened. I decided that I am putting way to much emphasis on it. Is it worth killing myself in a traffic accident in my panic and fear? A big, giant, NO!!!!! So, I carry a blanket and towel with me in my car and if I am really nervous, I will take some Immodium upon arising. I can usually tell the condition of my stomach when I wake up, but not always. I carry a change of clothes and if need be, I would not hesitate to wear protection. I know that this all sounds like a bit much, but it does calm you down somewhat just being prepared. And, if an accident does happen, then I will turn around and go home, call work and deal with it. It is not the end of the world. This outlook has helped me greatly.

Another thing that has helped me is the Acacia fiber. I haven't used it for very long, but I started with one half teaspoon in the evening, and ever since then, no D. That doesn't mean I still don't go quite a bit, but so far so good, and it has been soft but formed. Hallelujah!!!!!! I was trying the Acacia in the AM, but it was making me feel bubbly, so I stopped it for now. I believe I started with too much, so take it easy to start. I really haven't changed my diet much, but that will be my next step.

I haven't been dealing with this very long, but I am determined it will not control my life. I may have it, but it doesn't have me. There were times when I thought I was the only person in the world dealing with this, but now I know on that commute in the AM, there are many driving right beside me with the same fear.

Another thing is the fear of telling anyone including co-workers that we have a chronic condition. We as a group have to take the embarrassment out of it. After all, everyone has something. A person is not ashamed to tell someone they suffer from migraines, or back spasms, or whatever, but we are so ashamed to excuse ourselves and explain we have this condition. I refuse to do this anymore. At work, (luckily, I am in a medical environment), this morning when I came out of the bathroom for the third time, I just laughed and said I have bubble gut again. There is only one restroom and it is right out front of the office, so it can be uncomfortable. But, you know what, they just laughed. I think we have built it up in our heads to be SOOOOO big, when really, people could care less. They are more concerned with their own lives than to worry about our bowels. I know this to be true, because that's how I feel. If someone is in the john over and over again, I just don't give it much thought. So, why do we think it is such a big deal. I think people are more willing to embrace us and our conditions than we realize. I really am starting to find this to be true.

I know that this has been a very long post, but know that it will get better. Especially, when you take a little of the focus and emphasis off it somewhat. This is what I have come to learn about myself and this condiiton within this past year.

I am due to be downsized in about three weeks, and in a way I am looking forward to it. It will allow me some time to work on myself, and hopefully when I go back to work, have an even better handle on this condition.

I hope this helps!!!!!!

Lynn

#336454 - 09/24/08 05:45 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

This is a great post.You summed it all up.
You are right,if you have an accident just go home.It isn't the end of the world.
Thank goodness we live in the country and thank goodness for cornfields.I carry wet wipes with me and sometimes toilet paper.Cause yes,when you have to go you have to go.Usually just being prepared is all it takes to get you through .

And people really don't pay attention to how many times you go to the bathroom.You are right , they are caught up thinking about their own problems.
Hang in there,we've all been there and hopefully you can find the right combo to help you.

Counting also helps to get rid of a panic attack.It redirects your brain and your train of thought.I've made it to 360 before I felt the panic subside but usually by the time I hit 75 or so it passes.Also wearing perfume can help.When you feel it coming on take a sniff.
I also find chewing gum can help.It's all about redirecting your way of thinking.To stop yourself from talking your body INTO an attack.
It can be very helpful.

I was at a funeral for my friends brother and I was having serious panic attacks because it was in a church and I had no idea where the bathroom was.I was so upset I cried the entire time,I was afraid I was going to pass gas or have an accident.I don't cry at funerals ever but at least i could let go of the tension I was feeling and no one suspected the truth.
Awful huh?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336486 - 09/24/08 05:48 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Thanks Dragonfly, for the compliment. I don't go to full blown panic but do get very anxious. I will try your tips, also. Also, I may start to carry the toilet paper and wipes. I didn't think about that. I carry the blanket and towels for my car. It's new! Silly, aren't I?

So, you think we talk our body into an attack? I think you may be right about that. I noticed on the commute if I can keep my mind off of it, it does not bother me. And, for me it seems only in the car, or as soon as I get to work. On the weekends and days off, I am fine. Go figure.

I am just finding my way. I know that I can conquer this, and I know that there are many people who are so much worse off than IBS. Some can not even step out of the house, they are so ill. I just try day by day to keep it in prospective. Live and learn, I guess.

I am sorry about the funeral fiasco. That is the bad thing about this condition. Before, when I was always C, I knew I could pass gas and not worry, but now with all kinds of crazy stools, I can't take that chance. So, I totally understand how stressful that is.

In my heart, I truly think it is a mental thing. I know it is physical and I know it is a true physical condition, but I feel it all starts with the mind. I think once that is under control, you will get will. Just my thoughts.

Take care

#336495 - 09/25/08 05:28 AM
Meoc

Thank you all for replying to my post. What an amazing community! I will try everyone's suggetions. I completely agree that this "mind / gut" connection is a huge part of the problem of IBS. For example, I was somewhat fine this morning. I had to take my son to the bus stop for school, and as soon as I got in the car and went to the bus stop, the urgency started, because I knew there was no access to a bathroom, and if something happens, then I am stuck. So I tried Osbo54's suggestions. I said to myself, "Well if I have an accident, I'll go home and change." I also put a towel on the seat of my car. I wonder if the medical community will ever be able to figure IBS out? Thanks again everyone.
-Maria

#336509 - 09/25/08 09:11 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hi,

You have a lot of posts already but I wanted to just add my 2cents. I truly can relate to your post as anyone being ibs-d can. I know it helps for me to take long deep breaths. Mornings are the worst for me and like you, I don't normally have D just lots of BM's and urgency in the morning. I have to take my boys to school and the act of getting them out the door stresses me and my stomach acts accordingly. It never fails, I have to go when we are leaving. Now I've already gone lots of times! I know this is a head thing so I breathe deeply and get to the car. The school is only minutes away and if I must I can use the bathroom there. It always helps just knowing there will be a bathroom. And my stomach can be turning handstands in there but once the stress if over, I'm fine and usually don't go the rest of the day! I do take an immodium in the morning if I know I need to be somewhere. I try to avoid morning doctor appointments, morning anything but sometimes it can't be helped. I work from home so the stress of work is not there. I can tell you though I would be so paranoid my co-workers were counting the times I got up to use the bathroom. Actually they didn't know where I was going but I figured they woudl know. I know a big stress reducer would be to tell people I had IBS. They would nod their heads and sometimes tell me they had it too! Just having people know takes a lot of the stress out of it too!

I can truly relate to all the posts under this thread and it helps knowing we're not alone.

Hang in there. It will get better! I bet you're not stopping at every exit very soon!

Sandy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1337 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4286

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review