All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Discouraged
      #336018 - 09/14/08 12:23 PM
steely

Reged: 08/31/08
Loc: NC Mountains

I don't know if anyone can relate to this but lately I have been so discouraged about the IBS situation.I've been doing the diet for a couple weeks now.I just don't seem to go to the bathroom at all anymore.I don't know how to incorporate IS.I take my fiber supplement just like I have for the past 15 years.
I'm sad,depressed and overwhelmed.I don't know what I'm asking,maybe nothing at all.Just at the end of my rope and there's no end in sight.Thanks for the ear

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Discouraged new
      #336025 - 09/14/08 06:13 PM
LAKB

Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Mountains of Georgia

If it means anything, I feel your pain and know how difficult it is to go on sometimes. I'm at a low point right now mydelf. Tired of the nausea, constant abdominal pain, stomach/intestinal rumblings, etc. When I get this low, I just decide to go back to the drawing board and start typing into search boxes on google to see if anything new shows up. Also, I'm thinking of trying the elimination diet again.

I'm not sure what you mean by not knowing how to incorporate insoluble fiber - can you elaborate on that?

Keep your chin up. Tomorrow just might be the "feel good day" we've been waiting for!

#336027 - 09/14/08 06:53 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Tie a knot in the end of that rope and hold on! First of all... I bet everyone on this site has been where you are. I have and still am very often. My poor, wonderful husband must have earned thousands of "stars in his crown" for heaven because of his compassion for me! I don't know that I would be as understanding.
You said you're taking the same fiber supplement you've taken for 15 years - maybe, like medication, your body builds up an immunity, so you punt - try something new.
I had "D" for 2 weeks, then had to go on antibiotics last week, so more "D", then all of the sudden today I'm back to "C" and don't know if dynamite would work!
I don't know if it helps, but I try to remind myself, I've been here before, and I made it and I'll do it again. The operative word here is "try" - since I usually stress over whether it will be another sleepless night? and I've got to go to work tomorrow?, since I feel like a pregnant hippo, will I be able to go in the morning?- then the cycle begins. I know, crazy thinking, huh?
I think if you mention what IF you are eating there might be others who can help. We're all so different and tolerate different things, i.e. I LOVE salads, but find I can only "tolerate" raw veggies maybe once or twice a month and even then usually "pay" for it! However, things like potatoes, brown rice, cooked squash, cooked greens and other veggies (green peas, and any beans - even a spoonful at a time...)also chicken, fish. I also find I do better if I incorporate a little extra virgin olive oil - for lubrication of the system!
I find foods like bread and pasta are soothing to me, but they also tend to cause "C" and bloating for me... So, it's truly trial and error...
Blessings!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#336032 - 09/15/08 05:52 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey we've all been there and sometimes come back to visit.I was sitting here at my computer dealing with a full week of nothing to eat and always running to the toilet and I just couldn't stop crying.I was so depressed and at the end of my rope too.I just wanted to be normal again.Thats when I decided to buy the audio tapes.I figured they couldn't hurt and they could only help.
I'm half way through and I see a huge difference.I'm no longer depressed and somewhere along the line I found hope.I will beat ibs and so will you.Keep your chin up and each day takes you a step closer to getting better,It just doesn't always feel like it.But you learn something new about your body almost everyday.Whether its what youcan eat or what you can't eat.So you will figure it out ,it just might take some time.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336041 - 09/15/08 11:17 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

I am at the same starting point as you, as I am here only 2 weeks also. I also was taking the same fiber for years with no results, so I decided to buy Heathers Tummy Fiber and have taken it for almost a week and I do love it. It came really fast in the mail and I do recommend it. I also have been following the diet and enjoying cooking and caring for myself(for once)!!!! Dont be discouraged, we are all in the same boat.

#336060 - 09/15/08 07:46 PM
steely

Thanks for your encouraging words.It's not crazy to me GaGa.I wonder all the time what the next day is going to bring and if I've been up sitting in a chair all night.

Right now I'm trying to live on oatmeal,turkey sandwiches,bananas and applesauce.I feel like I'm starving to death.I'm tired and cranky but my stomach doesn't hurt 24/7.That is wonderful but I just want to be "normal".Eat,go to the bathroom and live a life.No pain.

What are the audio tapes you speak of,Dragonfly?I must have missed that somewhere along the way.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.It really helps just to know I'm not alone.No one in my life understands and it's so easy to feel alone.

#336062 - 09/16/08 05:09 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Try the self hypnosis tapes.They really are amazing.Heather sells them on her website and you can listen to excerpts before you buy it and thats what sold me.Micheals voice an dhis words really hit a sore spot for me and i ended up crying just listening to him.I too felt like my life was never going to get any better.I'm steadily losing weight because of cutting out so much fat but the benefits of feeling better are so worth it.I find I can eat a greater variety of foods now that I'm on the program.It has helped me NOT to think about ibs as much or the effects of the food i am going to eat.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336063 - 09/16/08 06:13 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

The hypno tapes were the turning point for me. I really believed my life was over until I started doing the tapes. I was finally able to have some control again whereas before, the IBS controlled my entire life. I cannot say they are a cure, however, they are a GREAT help.

Go to the Hypnosis for IBS link and read some of the testimonials.

Best wishes,
Sharon

#336070 - 09/16/08 08:12 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

HI Steely -
Sorry you are feeling discouraged and frustrated. I think we can all relate!!

Are you taking a good multivitamin? That can do wonders!! Increase your Vitamin C and your Magnesium. A lot of gals here have found that a product called Natural Calm really helps. It is a Magnesium supplement. Constipation is very often a vitamin/Mineral deficiency, so try ruling that out first. Sounds like your diet is ok, if you are following Heather's suggestions...

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#336092 - 09/16/08 02:39 PM
steely

Thanks Dragonfly,I will have to listen to that.I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better.It gives me hope.

#336523 - 09/25/08 12:00 PM
CDC

Reged: 09/25/08

Try senna tea - at least when you can't stand it anymore. I buy "Smooth Moves" at a normal grocery store in the health food section. I feel the same way sometimes. I usually stay so bloated that I'm miserable. It really affects your life. You can make it as strong as you want. The directions say to steep it 5 - 10 minutes. It really helps me go. At least it gives me a day of relief. They say you shouldn't use it all the time. You didn't say if you've used laxatives at all, but sometimes you just have to. Don't give in to the overwhelmed feeling. It only makes you feel bad about the rest of your life too. You WILL make it through.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3091 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review