All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I am starting to suspect to much fructose from wheat, sugar,fruit(higher fructose ones) are triggering IBS attacks for me???
      #335762 - 09/07/08 12:48 PM

Unregistered

I am starting to suspect to much fructose from wheat, sugar,fruit(higher fructose ones) are triggering IBS attacks for me. I no vertually nothing here can any one give me help and advice and even a list of the worse perpertrators.Many thanks-IBS seems to be a big discovery game-speak soon, appreciate all help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am starting to suspect to much fructose from wheat, sugar,fruit(higher fructose ones) are triggering IBS attacks for me??? new
      #335764 - 09/07/08 01:39 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is a message that I posted some time ago with references to articles on fructose malabsorption. These articles are quite technical. However, Figure 2 in the second article has a table of favorable and unfavorable foods. The first few tables in the first article have some interesting information that you may find valuable too.

Note fructose in white/brown sugar is not a problem because they contain exactly equal amounts of fructose and glucose. It is the fructose in excess of glucose that is a problem for those with fructose malabsorption.

If you have any question please post them.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I am starting to suspect to much fructose from wheat, sugar,fruit(higher fructose ones) are triggering IBS attacks for me new
      #335813 - 09/08/08 05:28 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

For me personally, too much sugar (brown or white), or simple carb foods bother me if I eat too many. I try to limit them. Each person is different, so you need to discover for yourself what bothers you. If you stop eating those foods, and you feel better...bingo! Fructose malabsorption is a valid problem for some.

Re: Kim 123 new
      #335818 - 09/08/08 06:24 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Kim -
Can you give me an idea of what you basically eat? I don't care about candida vs. IBS - I just know the symptoms are similar, but different. Example: I ate way too many carbs this weekend and now have thrush, that sick, yukky taste in my mouth, feel like I have the flu, plus the stomach bloating, and today, diarrhea, plus everything in my body aches. So, without giving it a name... I'm just asking what you eat that works for you, 'please and thank you' - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335855 - 09/09/08 02:58 PM

Unregistered

I find the soluble mango very sweat and the internet says this is higher in fructose(i get problems). I also put a little to much brown demerera sugar in a recipe and suffered. Nectarine and peach can be bad for some too-i get away with these(fructose does not seem to be released as quickly -less soluble.I am guessing any fruits which are higher in fructose which release this quickly have bad effect as soon as hitting small intestine. It may be others with IBS have this problem but its less noticeable in agitation of bowl.Internet search engine reveals more probably. The above was guess work.
I think the answer if very sensitive here is not trying foods out as much as it is finding a site that lists food levels of fructose-eg mango having higher levels etc

Edited by Leafy (09/09/08 03:12 PM)

for Dorothy new
      #335860 - 09/09/08 06:06 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06

Well, I know that I couldn't eat/tolerate some of the foods that I now can tolerate, until I got my gut/bowels back to "normal", whatever that means:) I could not tolerate salad, nuts, some veggies, etc. until I "cleansed?" my body by following an anti-fungal diet. What I was eating was feeding the fungus, so it didn't matter if I thought I was eating all the "good" stuff because the bread and yeast I was eating along with it was exacerbating my symptoms.I had no expectations when I followed the diet; I was just so sick and tired of being sick and tired, that I was willing to try it...anything!, after hearing of good results from others....and voila, for me, I got well again. I know for me my IBS was directly related to fungal overgrowth. After starving and killing the fungus, I got better, period, end of sentence...proof or no proof, without myriads of studies and research to back it up. I am the living proof, and that's all that matters for me.

So, what do I eat now...well, I "don't" eat bread, or I'll eat only yeast-free if I do get a hankering for some, I don't eat a lot of processed foods (foods that come in a box, plastic wrapper or can), I cannot tolerate yeast. I know right away if I have eaten anything with yeast hidden in it. I immediately get cramps and gas, and then sometimes D. I know I cannot tolerate it, so I don't even go there anymore. I have to read all labels as yeast is in a lot of processed foods. I don't eat a lot of grains, except yeast free tortilla bread, or the odd time low sugar cereal or oatmeal. Rarely any sugar. I don't need it if I only eat whole natural foods.

I do eat most veggies, some fruits, but I'm careful not to eat them on an empty stomach, lots of meat/fish/poultry, plain yogurt, butter, sour cream, eggs, some almonds, cheese from time to time...really, any whole, unadulterated foods. I tend to eat low carb rather than low fat. And, it keeps the weight off, as well.

I am human, and will have a cookie, brownie or piece of pie from time to time. I have even found I can tolerate the Fiber One bars once in a while. I do enjoy a glass of red wine on the weekends. Lately, since being back at school, I find myself nibbling on the "forbiddens" more than I care to admit. Too much stress, I guess!

I do know that if I overindulge with processed foods, especially with some form of sugar high up on the ingredients list, I get that sick feeling again. I know the path I must travel to stay well. For me, it is not a sacrifice, as I get to enjoy life again, without worrying where the nearest bathroom is all the time. I eat to live, not live to eat.

Re: I am starting to suspect to much fructose from wheat, sugar,fruit(higher fructose ones) are triggering IBS attacks for me??? new
      #335868 - 09/09/08 08:14 PM
Fuzzle

Reged: 07/19/07

I believe I have the same thing, and if its true, your diet and mine will have to change considerably. Heres a link to information on the condition.

http://www.allhealthsite.com/212/low-fructose-and-fructose-free-diet/

http://www.allhealthsite.com/223/low-sugar-diet-or-fodmap-diet-helps-in-ibs-and-chrons-disease/

I notice every time I eat something that contains things like High Fructose Corn syrup, mannitol, sorbitol, fructose, fructans, I have loose stools and if I eat alot, I can get violently ill.

"What are FODMAPs?

FODMAPs (Fermentable Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides, And Polyols) are short-chain carbohydrates with two caracteristic effects on digestion:

1. they are osmotic active substances - they drag water into intestine and may cause diarrhea;
2. they are fermented by intestinal bacteria, what can yield gas and irritant by-products.

FODMAPs include:

* oligosaccharides: fructans (inulin, fructo-oligo-saccharides (FOS) or oligofructose), galactans, and raffinose;
* disaccharides: lactose, sucrose;
* monosaccharides: fructose;
* polyols: sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, isomalt, erithrytol, arabitol, erythritol, glycol, glycerol, lactitol, ribitoll.

Who Can Benefit from Low Sugar Diet?

People diagnosed with IBS, lactose intolerance, fructose malabsorption (Dietary Fructose Intolerance - DFI), Crohn's disease, chronic diarrhea, toddler's diarrhea, and those with 'indigestion', 'dyspepsia', unexplained bloating, or irregular bowels may all benefit from low sugar (FODMAPs) diet. FODMAP diet may also be a way to lose weight in obese but otherwise healthy people."

#335870 - 09/09/08 09:24 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Thank you for sharing!!! I commend your strong will and fortitude. Going on the elimination diet is such a hard decision because I'm not much of a meat eater, can't seem to digest some meats and can only tolerate very little fat.
BUT - like you, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!
I'm tired of waking up with that "yuk" taste/feeling in my mouth and the bloating, nausea, sometimes "D" and sometimes "C". I just want to feel good so I can be the person I'm supposed to be! I can't do any kind of nuts, so do you know of any allowable snacks?? I'm afraid I'm a "closet snacker" - mainly at night after a stressful day.
I think the secret is to do it step by step - as my dr. stressed - sugar this week, wheat the next, etc.,etc. I love veggies, so no problem. I'm sorry to be rambling, but my brain cells are sleeping, even though I'm not!
Thanks again! - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (09/10/08 03:44 PM)

Re: I am starting to suspect to much fructose from wheat, sugar,fruit(higher fructose ones) are triggering IBS attacks for me new
      #335999 - 09/13/08 08:03 AM
abbynormal8

Reged: 05/16/08

WHere can I get a list of what is good to eat- what isn't good-
thanks

Mistake in FOPMAPs article new
      #336021 - 09/14/08 04:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is a mistake in the article on FODMAP.

Sucrose is not included on the list of poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates or fermentable sugars. Sucrose is completely absorbed in the upper GI track and does not reach the colon hence it is not available for fermentation in the colon.

The original article on FODMAPs is here.

Sucrose (white/brown sugar) is not a FODMAP

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Mistake in FOPMAPs article new
      #336115 - 09/17/08 09:01 AM

Unregistered

thanks for your efforts -Leafy.

#336116 - 09/17/08 09:07 AM

Unregistered

Thats interesting as i get more problems with Brown sugar than white could it be general sweetness or that the half and half sucrose fructose does not cancel each other out perfectly-sorry i am no good at science-thanks for all your efforts though!

#336117 - 09/17/08 09:11 AM

Unregistered

See Syls post with link to net it contains table of foods.Syl posted answer in same thread.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review