All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can anyone help this mother of an 8-year-old with IBS?
      #335485 - 08/31/08 05:48 PM
TarasMom

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: North Carolina

I'm a newbie with my 8-year-old daughter recently diagnosed with IBS. She struggled for over a year with symptoms before being diagnosed. Thanks to Heather's website, I have more information than anyone has given me in a year! But my question is simple, are there any other mothers out there that can give me tips for my daughter's diet? I know she's tired of eating the same thing for lunch at school every day, and her school doesn't allow use of the microwave. I'm also concerned about her nutrition. What supplements should she be taking and are safe for her age?
Thanks to anybody that can help!
Tara's Mom

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can anyone help this mother of an 8-year-old with IBS? new
      #335622 - 09/04/08 06:06 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Can't believe no one has responded to you. I don't have a small child with IBS but my heart goes out to you. I carry my lunch everday but I have a refrigerator and a microwave most of the time. However, when I don't I make tuna pasta and chicken pasta salads to try to even out the sandwiches which I don't like anyway. Another thing I make is chicken and turkey breast salad with chunks of leftover chicken or turkey breast, a very small amount of minced celery and minced onion along with a small amount of craisins. Stir a very small amount of low fat Hellmans into this and add a little pepper and salt and I think it is great with a slice or two of fresh french bread!! I also tolerate the low sodium V-8 juice well. Small individual containers of peaches and applesauce also work well.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: Can anyone help this mother of an 8-year-old with IBS & Atten:Hapamama new
      #335666 - 09/05/08 12:01 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Are her symptoms primarily "D" or "C"? If they are "D", she might like mini bagels and individual servings of applesauce she can dip the bagel into. That and bananas are my "stand by" for "D"... and also the foods that "Barbara" mentioned, plus rice with chicken. As far as supplements, check with a good naturopath or your health food store owner about a probiotic for children - I know they make one. It breaks my heart to know she's going through this - it's hard enough on adults, but so sad for children. We'll just have to believe for a miracle!! I'm sure there will be others with more advice. One more on here has a child who is on a gluten free diet, so maybe she will have some advice too....

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335834 - 09/09/08 09:45 AM
TarasMom

Thanks for the reply. We had a hard time with mayo for a long time. We tried probably five different kinds before I read someone else's post on here about the Low Fat Hellman's. My daughter can't tolerate the egg yolk in the others AT ALL! Now that we've found the Hellman's I'm going to try some of the salads you mentioned. Thanks!
Tara's Mom

#335835 - 09/09/08 09:50 AM
TarasMom

Yes, she loves the bagels. She is primarily "D", and her symptoms grip her so hard and quickly, there's not really a way to "treat" her symptoms with food. I have to give her lots of Peppermint Tea and wait for the attack to be over. So, it's crucial that she stick to the diet. Poor baby, it breaks my heart-especially if I give her something I'm not sure about and it ends up badly! And excuse my ignorance, but what is a "probiotic"? I've read and learned so much in the past two months, I can't remember everything!
Tara's Mom

#335837 - 09/09/08 10:31 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

A probiotic is usually in capsule form but can be in food or in granules and is an aid to digestion that contains helpful and healthy bacteria for the gut (among other things I am sure). I use ALIGN which is obtained on the website aligngi.com. You should ask your daughter's doctor about probiotics.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#335840 - 09/09/08 11:04 AM
TarasMom

Thanks so much for the tips!
Tara's Mom

#335844 - 09/09/08 12:00 PM
cooking4six

Reged: 08/19/08
Loc: Southwest, US

If you don't have Heather's "Eating for IBS" book, get it. She shares many safe dishes she enjoyed as a child.

Keep feeding her safe foods especially in the morning before school and packed for at school. Low fat peanut butter and banana sandwich, rice cakes, pretzels, graham crackers, turkey sub, soup and bread ect.

Another idea for mayo... we use fat free but I also sometimes mix it with a nice mustard. That way you use only half the amount of mayo and mustard is good for the gut

If egg yolks bother her, also be careful with anything else that has sulfer in it. This is what most of us who are sensitive to yolks are bothered by. Sulfer is also in many medications! Be careful, talk to her doctor, research and read labels. Watch out for the words sulfites and sulfates. All wines have them (if you cook with them) and some juices.

When she's having pain try a hot pad set on Low to relax her muscles and a nice message or a warm bath.

I'd also start a daily log. Note what she's eating, when, and how much (over eating's never good but undereating can make an IBS tummy feel worse) also have her describe her BM. Finally, see if there's anything stressing her out. A major change in her life like a move, a divorce, a broken friendship, or a bully. Maybe it's just everyday things that she feels overwhelmed by. Or maybe she's a "what if" child, I was... always thinking about what might go wrong. While this makes you very prepared for just about anything, it's way more anxiety than any child (or adult) should carry around.

In any case, be sure she has something in her life to reduce the stress. What makes her happy? What gets her laughing uproariously? A game, dancing, sports, writing, singing. Make sure she gets to chill out each day. Don't over schedule her or let her get herself too run down... getting enough sleep will help her too.

Most of all, we can all hear how much you love her, so I'm sure you'll do your best for her. In the meantime, try not to get overwhelmed and stressed yourself. She'll feel it and it won't do you any good either. Hang in there.

Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

#335872 - 09/10/08 06:31 AM
TarasMom

Thanks for the help! I just thought about getting that book yesterday. I think I'll do just that. And, yes, she is a very uptight little "person". She tries to be in charge of EVERYTHING. And now that I think about it, I think all this started at about first grade, when school became more than something "fun" to go do. Now I remember her teacher telling me she had to constantly tell my daughter that she was not in charge, and that she was going to have to do what she (teacher) said. And I fight that battle at home too. She constantly fights with her older sister and twin brother. And I've tried to help her "let go" of frustration with her brother and sister, but it disturbs her greatly when people won't do things her way. Maybe she needs to talk to a counselor or something? I'll definitely get the book though, and with God's help we'll make it through. Thanks again!
Tara's Mom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7048 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review