All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
dairy
      #335184 - 08/24/08 07:24 AM
gertrude

Reged: 08/17/08

i've tried soy milk and ricemilk, but i really don't like both of thme. Now i've tried goatmilk and cheese, and that's really good. But i donn't know if this is a good substitute for dairyproducts. Does anyone know? [color:orange] [/color]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dairy new
      #335192 - 08/24/08 09:42 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Sorry Gertrude but dairy as a trigger includes all animal dairy, so goat's milk and cheese are not good substitutes. I know it's really hard at first, especially if you're a former cheese/milk/yogurt lover like I was.
I don't know where you're from but if you're in the US there are a lot of good substitutes. I love Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze milk. In Europe the selection is not as wide but products are still available. I was able to find a pretty tasty brand of rice milk in the Czech Republic. And this is the only substitutes that I use. Soy doesn't agree with me so I don't use any soy cheese, etc. Instead I try to eat foods that are naturally dairy-free, that way I don't feel like I'm missing out on the flavor and eating something "similar", yet not as tasty. For example, I used to love ice-cream so I was thrilled to find this individual-serving, strawberry "ice-cream" that only contains pureed strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, emulsifier, and aroma. It's kind of like a sorbet, really tasty and I don't even miss the creamy stuff anymore .
I hope as you get more familiar with the diet and your triggers you will be able to find foods that you really enjoy !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: dairy new
      #335201 - 08/24/08 11:38 AM
gertrude

Reged: 08/17/08

hi zara,
thank you for your advice. I have to look further for other products then. And you are right; i love chees and milk, yoghert etc. I'm from holland! there is cheese everywhere, but not so much soy cheese, anyway not the kind i like. And sugar is unfortunately also a trigger for me, so flavered soymilk is also not an option. If you have more suggestions, the chech republic is not so for away from here.
I found in germany a very good big bretzel, a great snack to bring along when you are on a trip or something. It's from the brand BIO, perhaps you know it in your country too. Unfortunately i can't find it in holland, still lokking for it.

thanks again

gertrude

Goat cheese/milk.... new
      #335210 - 08/24/08 01:31 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I can actually tolerate goat's cheese fairly well. I remember reading that some people who can't tolerate cow's milk products are able to tolerate goat's milk - I don't remember for sure but it seems like it might have been the amount of lactose. Like most things, I'm sure there is no hard and fast rule - I think that's what makes this condition so frustrating!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review