All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need menu ideas for fructose/fructan free diet!
      #334961 - 08/20/08 07:30 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Ok, long story short is that I've suspected for a looooong time that wheat and/or gluten is a trigger for me, and I've started to notice a pattern that apples and pears trigger me as well. It would make so much sense if fructose is my problem, and I would be so unbelievably thrilled if I could finally feel better - I've long said that I can give up any foods, I just need to know what they are!!

Anyway, now I don't know what to eat while I perform this experiment!

For breakfast I ate a hot buckwheat cereal with blueberries. Mid-morning snack was a cereal bar. Lunch is a few slices of chicken and carrots with mashed avocado. Snack will be a banana. I'm worried I'll be starving long before the work day is over, and I'm not entirely sure what to make for dinner! I was thinking rice and veggies maybe.

Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated! I don't mind cooking when I'm home, but I also need portable stuff to bring for long workdays!

Thanks!!!
Alyson

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need menu ideas for fructose/fructan free diet! new
      #334962 - 08/20/08 07:49 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

totally off subject... but are you also an Alyson spelled like me? How cool!:) My parents thought they were making it easy with one l and one y...but I hated it as a child and could never find anything with my name on it!:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#334963 - 08/20/08 07:51 AM
Fen

Ha ha - I didn't realize you were an Alyson as well! I hated it as a kid too because nobody could spell it and I was often told that my name is spelled "wrong." But now I like it because it's kind of unique! I've only met one other Alyson in my life!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334965 - 08/20/08 07:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Figure 2 in the second article in this message has a table of favorable and unfavorable foods for IBS suffers with problems with fructose. I use the table along with Heather's EFI guidelines to manage my IBS with reasonable success.

One other thing you might find interesting. Wheat contains a lot of fructans (also known as fructo-oligosaccharides or FOS) which are made of long chains of fructose molecules. FOS is commonly used a filler in supplements too. Many people with fructose problems also have problems with fructans. Table 6 in the first article give a list of foods containing high amounts of fructans. Notice the first item on the list is any food with wheat as the main ingredient. I have found that I have to limit my consumption of wheat. Many IBSers who do not test positive for celiacs disease think they have a gluten sensitivity. In fact it quite possible they have problems with fructans in wheat.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#335004 - 08/20/08 12:56 PM
Fen

Right, Syl - that was my thought as well. Though I tested negative for Celiac Disease, I followed the GF diet for a year. Initially it made me feel wonderful, I think because I switched from wheat to rice and rice-based cereals. Over the course of the year I started to feel worse and eventually gave it up because I was still having problems. I now wonder if it's because I was eating a lot of fruit, bars made with dates, etc.

I've read all of the articles you've posted. I guess I'm just looking for practical suggestions - like what do you (and others) actually eat in the course of a day. Breakfast is easy enough to figure out, as is dinner when I'm home. I'm most concerned about packable lunches and snacks for work (don't always have access to a fridge and microwave, depending on the day), as well as those times when you just (for whatever reason) need to eat in a restaurant.

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C

#335005 - 08/20/08 01:17 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

How about lightly curried chicken, shrimp, carrot and zucchini on basmiti rice in a thermos. On days when you have access to a microwave you might take chicken, rice and veggies and warm it up. Great cold lunches can be made with canned tuna, salmon and smoked osyters with cold potato & veggie salad (no mayo etc).

It is difficult finding lunches that don't involve bread. However, I find I can handle a slice of bread a day with no problems. May be you can too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I just mentioned this in reply to you! new
      #335007 - 08/20/08 01:36 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

This is funny - I was just talking about this too Alyson. As I said I have been experimenting w/toast and sandwich bread. Like Syl, I can tolerate a slice or two occasionaly - I think the last one I tried was an oat bread - Trader Joes is making a great brown rice bread that is also affordable. You could also try wraps or quesadillas instead of sandwiches, that's what we have done. Even a ww tortilla doesn't bother me if I eat it w/lots of IF (ETA=should be SF), I think because it's such a small amount and it's not that dense. SO you could do a yummy wrap w/rice,veggies, tofu whatever...
Do you eat tofu? It's really versatile if you like it and can tolerate it....

I'm very interested about the frutans (sp?) Syl mentioned - I have not had any of the fruits I would generally eat this summer and have noticed such a big difference. Apples are a huge no no, but pears I don't remember bothering me...

don't forget about good ole peanut butter and hummus - they are both good on carrots, rice cakes, tortillas, etc...fairly packable. Any bean dip could be put in a little tupperware and eaten on the run...

hope that helps!

Edited by Hapamama (08/20/08 05:42 PM)

#335014 - 08/20/08 02:47 PM
Fen

I thought zucchini was high in fructans?

I guess maybe my frustration is partly due to the limitations I have because of my bladder - I can't have anything spicy or acidic because it will cause pain and frequent urination. So as delicious as a chicken curry sounds, I can't eat it! I often wind up eating plain chicken and rice with just salt and pepper and feel really badly for my husband who doesn't have any dietary limitations!

--------------------
IBS-C

FYI new
      #335021 - 08/20/08 04:00 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Trader Joes is making a great brown rice bread that is also affordable

This bread is sweetened with fruit juices...not good for low fructose diets. Neither is hummy

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I just mentioned this in reply to you! new
      #335023 - 08/20/08 04:05 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

so, you aren't gluten intolerant but you eat GF?
Quote:

I have been experimenting w/toast and sandwich bread. Like Syl, I can tolerate a slice or two occasionaly - I think the last one I tried was an oat bread

Quote:

Even a ww tortilla doesn't bother me if I eat it w/lots of IF

did you mean lots of SF? What brands bread and tortillas do you use?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8605

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review