All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need menu ideas for fructose/fructan free diet!
      #334961 - 08/20/08 07:30 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Ok, long story short is that I've suspected for a looooong time that wheat and/or gluten is a trigger for me, and I've started to notice a pattern that apples and pears trigger me as well. It would make so much sense if fructose is my problem, and I would be so unbelievably thrilled if I could finally feel better - I've long said that I can give up any foods, I just need to know what they are!!

Anyway, now I don't know what to eat while I perform this experiment!

For breakfast I ate a hot buckwheat cereal with blueberries. Mid-morning snack was a cereal bar. Lunch is a few slices of chicken and carrots with mashed avocado. Snack will be a banana. I'm worried I'll be starving long before the work day is over, and I'm not entirely sure what to make for dinner! I was thinking rice and veggies maybe.

Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated! I don't mind cooking when I'm home, but I also need portable stuff to bring for long workdays!

Thanks!!!
Alyson

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need menu ideas for fructose/fructan free diet! new
      #334962 - 08/20/08 07:49 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

totally off subject... but are you also an Alyson spelled like me? How cool!:) My parents thought they were making it easy with one l and one y...but I hated it as a child and could never find anything with my name on it!:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#334963 - 08/20/08 07:51 AM
Fen

Ha ha - I didn't realize you were an Alyson as well! I hated it as a kid too because nobody could spell it and I was often told that my name is spelled "wrong." But now I like it because it's kind of unique! I've only met one other Alyson in my life!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334965 - 08/20/08 07:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Figure 2 in the second article in this message has a table of favorable and unfavorable foods for IBS suffers with problems with fructose. I use the table along with Heather's EFI guidelines to manage my IBS with reasonable success.

One other thing you might find interesting. Wheat contains a lot of fructans (also known as fructo-oligosaccharides or FOS) which are made of long chains of fructose molecules. FOS is commonly used a filler in supplements too. Many people with fructose problems also have problems with fructans. Table 6 in the first article give a list of foods containing high amounts of fructans. Notice the first item on the list is any food with wheat as the main ingredient. I have found that I have to limit my consumption of wheat. Many IBSers who do not test positive for celiacs disease think they have a gluten sensitivity. In fact it quite possible they have problems with fructans in wheat.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#335004 - 08/20/08 12:56 PM
Fen

Right, Syl - that was my thought as well. Though I tested negative for Celiac Disease, I followed the GF diet for a year. Initially it made me feel wonderful, I think because I switched from wheat to rice and rice-based cereals. Over the course of the year I started to feel worse and eventually gave it up because I was still having problems. I now wonder if it's because I was eating a lot of fruit, bars made with dates, etc.

I've read all of the articles you've posted. I guess I'm just looking for practical suggestions - like what do you (and others) actually eat in the course of a day. Breakfast is easy enough to figure out, as is dinner when I'm home. I'm most concerned about packable lunches and snacks for work (don't always have access to a fridge and microwave, depending on the day), as well as those times when you just (for whatever reason) need to eat in a restaurant.

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C

#335005 - 08/20/08 01:17 PM
Syl

How about lightly curried chicken, shrimp, carrot and zucchini on basmiti rice in a thermos. On days when you have access to a microwave you might take chicken, rice and veggies and warm it up. Great cold lunches can be made with canned tuna, salmon and smoked osyters with cold potato & veggie salad (no mayo etc).

It is difficult finding lunches that don't involve bread. However, I find I can handle a slice of bread a day with no problems. May be you can too.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

I just mentioned this in reply to you! new
      #335007 - 08/20/08 01:36 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

This is funny - I was just talking about this too Alyson. As I said I have been experimenting w/toast and sandwich bread. Like Syl, I can tolerate a slice or two occasionaly - I think the last one I tried was an oat bread - Trader Joes is making a great brown rice bread that is also affordable. You could also try wraps or quesadillas instead of sandwiches, that's what we have done. Even a ww tortilla doesn't bother me if I eat it w/lots of IF (ETA=should be SF), I think because it's such a small amount and it's not that dense. SO you could do a yummy wrap w/rice,veggies, tofu whatever...
Do you eat tofu? It's really versatile if you like it and can tolerate it....

I'm very interested about the frutans (sp?) Syl mentioned - I have not had any of the fruits I would generally eat this summer and have noticed such a big difference. Apples are a huge no no, but pears I don't remember bothering me...

don't forget about good ole peanut butter and hummus - they are both good on carrots, rice cakes, tortillas, etc...fairly packable. Any bean dip could be put in a little tupperware and eaten on the run...

hope that helps!

Edited by Hapamama (08/20/08 05:42 PM)

#335014 - 08/20/08 02:47 PM
Fen

I thought zucchini was high in fructans?

I guess maybe my frustration is partly due to the limitations I have because of my bladder - I can't have anything spicy or acidic because it will cause pain and frequent urination. So as delicious as a chicken curry sounds, I can't eat it! I often wind up eating plain chicken and rice with just salt and pepper and feel really badly for my husband who doesn't have any dietary limitations!

--------------------
IBS-C

FYI new
      #335021 - 08/20/08 04:00 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Trader Joes is making a great brown rice bread that is also affordable

This bread is sweetened with fruit juices...not good for low fructose diets. Neither is hummy

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I just mentioned this in reply to you! new
      #335023 - 08/20/08 04:05 PM
Jordy

so, you aren't gluten intolerant but you eat GF?
Quote:

I have been experimenting w/toast and sandwich bread. Like Syl, I can tolerate a slice or two occasionaly - I think the last one I tried was an oat bread

Quote:

Even a ww tortilla doesn't bother me if I eat it w/lots of IF

did you mean lots of SF? What brands bread and tortillas do you use?

--------------------

Not our bread! new
      #335034 - 08/20/08 04:35 PM
Hapamama

The bread we purchase is unsweetened!! It has brown rice flour, filtered water, tapioca flour, fresh yeast, safflower oil, rice bran, zanthum gum, cllulose gum, in that order....
SWEET! tee hee
We eat hummous w/zero problems. We just don't make it too spicey or lemony.

hmmm..... new
      #335035 - 08/20/08 04:45 PM
Hapamama

In general I don't think in absolutes. I think most things exist in degrees. For example, I am lactose intolerant when it comes to milk, most cheddar cheeses, ice cream, etc. When I eat those products I immediately cramp up and get a headache so for the most part my body is not dairy tolerant. If asked I would probably say I am dairy intolerant. However, during certain times of my cycle, I have found that I can eat milder, organic cheeses generally w/a vegetarian rennet IN SMALL DOSES (read: not a whole pizza!)- it's a matter of degrees - it's not absolute...that said, I think that my body does not tolerate gluten well, but I do not have celiac's disease, those are two very different things. I am currently experimenting to see to what degree I can push the limits w/gluten and I would not be surprised to find out that it was more the wheat than the gluten that was bothering me...all that to say the jury is still out

Yeah, I meant SF - I use Trader Joes handmade ww and corn tortillas - I also use the Rudi's organic breads. Mostly for the hubby though.

Re: Not our bread! new
      #335046 - 08/20/08 06:25 PM
Jordy

That's weird! Does yours come in a pink wrapper? My store sells Food for LIfe.

--------------------

Ours is actually Trader Joe's brand.... new
      #335048 - 08/20/08 08:04 PM
Hapamama

is this what you were talking about?

I can't find any web images of the one we purchase, but I did find a couple of references when I Googled it, apparently not everyone thinks it's as yummy as we do!

#335055 - 08/21/08 06:02 AM
Syl

Zucchini has about 0.3 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams and some fructans. I use about 2 tbsp of peeled diced zucchini in a portion. I add 1 teaspoon of glucose (about 5 grams) to offset the fructose. I have notice that if I get exuberant and I use a bit too much or I forget to add the glucose I will have problems the next day.

I know what you mean about dietary limitations. I have been eating the same breakfast and lunch for two year. I only vary my suppers

--------------------

yep,thay's it. new
      #335056 - 08/21/08 06:11 AM
Jordy

I guess the west coast carries different products. Wish we had the TJ's brand. I don't like the Food for Life either and don't buy it.

--------------------

Re: Maybe this? new
      #335061 - 08/21/08 06:50 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey Fen, can you eat worcestershire sauce? When I make stir fry and rice I used to use soya sauce and found it always bothered me.The other day I made broccoli,carrots,mushrooms and celery put it in the frying pan,with just enough water to cover it and cooked til water ran out and veggies were down.Then we poured it over basmati rice(this is my new fav!)And as hubby added soya to his....I added salt and worcestershire sauce to mine and was pleasantly surprised at the flavour.I had no reactions at all and had the leftovers for lunch the next day.It was very tasty.I think this will be my new condiment from now on.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

I do this to dragon fly.-nt new
      #335063 - 08/21/08 06:52 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

#335065 - 08/21/08 07:00 AM
Fen

Hmm - I haven't had that in a looooong time. But maybe I'll try it tonight!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! We love basmati rice too! And my hubby always puts soy sauce on his food too when I make plain-ish stir fries!

--------------------
IBS-C

#335071 - 08/21/08 07:51 AM
Jordy

Doesn't rice make you more C? I can't seem to eat rice. I love it too and miss it.

--------------------

#335074 - 08/21/08 07:57 AM
Fen

Everything that doesn't make me bloat makes me C! And everything that helps me go bloats me out like crazy!! This is the eternal dilemma I face!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#335075 - 08/21/08 08:03 AM
Jordy

I face the same one! Don't you wish you could just take an SFS and be done with it?

--------------------

#335076 - 08/21/08 08:10 AM
Fen

I used to be a D, and while it was truly awful and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, I really think C is worse. I know the grass is always greener, people want what they don't have, yada yada. But really, D seems so much easier to control via diet and supplements!

--------------------
IBS-C

#335077 - 08/21/08 08:21 AM
Jordy

I used to be D too! While it was bad, I too think that C is so much worse and so painful...and harder to manage. (not to insult the D folks).

--------------------

#335082 - 08/21/08 08:30 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I'm d and i would rather be d! At least I know when I'm going.When I haven't gone for a day or two I panic!C would be awful!Knowing food is going in and not coming out!AHHHH!
It is easier to manage I think.Imodium is a girls best friend!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#335089 - 08/21/08 10:08 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Well, I guess I'm the oddball that finds C much easier to deal with. At least I don't have to hunt for a bathroom or have the cramps and nausea I get with D.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#335104 - 08/21/08 01:19 PM
Fen

Dragofly, that's exactly it! It feels so toxic knowing you eat a certain amount of food and only a tiny amount comes out each day! It's not healthy, and I don't think I'm being overdramatic when I say it definitely has an impact on your mood to carry around so many toxins with you!!

This is exactly why I periodically go on a binge of say, corn, to flush my system out. I figure it's healthier than laxatives, right?

I often wonder if I should just give up every IBS diet I've tried and just try to gradually increase my fiber, just like they say. Like, say, add a spoonful of beans or something every day. Do you think my guts would get used to it eventually?!?

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8587

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review