All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
5-htp
      #334904 - 08/19/08 03:39 PM
A_Card

Reged: 08/19/08

Hi,

I've just recently been diagnosed with IBS. Right before this last attack started, I had been taking this supplement called 5-htp for stress and migraines. I asked my doctor if this supplement could have caused this attack. He said it could have but I wanted to know if anybody else who has IBS has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance,

A_Card

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 5-htp new
      #334906 - 08/19/08 04:27 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Could the problem be the filler or other ingredient in the 5-htp capsule/tablets? Some products contain a fair amount of IF. Have you read Dr Weil's write-up on 5-htp?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#334936 - 08/19/08 08:09 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

5htp is a precursor to serotonin and serotonin has been implicated strongly in IBS.

The majority of serotonin is stored in the gut. It has complex properties there.

"Basic science is starting to understand better the enteric nervous system and the bidirectional communication between the "gut brain (ENS) and the Brain and spinal cord or Central nervous sytem. CNS

While doing so they learned the majority of serotonin 95% is stored in the gut and some of its actions in the bidirectional communication between the gut brain and the brain.

"Role of Serotonin in IBS
Disruptions in integrated communications among the CNS, ANS, and ENS may contribute to the three key pathophysiological features of IBS: altered GI motility, visceral hypersensitivity, and altered intestinal secretion.[4] Numerous neurotransmitters and neuromodulators are involved in the communication between the IPANs and the effector systems (i.e., muscles and secretory and vascular cells) and in the mediation of bidirectional brain-gut communications. Serotonin appears to be the common link in GI motility, intestinal secretion, and pain perception and is involved at multiple levels in the bidirectional interactions between the ENS and the CNS; thus, it is considered to play an important role in the pathophysiological abnormalities observed in IBS"

There is no longer a link to this and I just happen to have a copy of it. The question was about taking 5htp.

"Harvard

"The Trusted Source
Harold J. DeMonaco, M.S.

Harold J. DeMonaco, M.S., is senior analyst, Innovative Diagnostics and Therapeutics, and the chair of the Human Research Committee at the Massachusetts General Hospital. He is author of over 20 publications in the pharmacy and medical literature and routinely reviews manuscript submissions for eight medical journals.
June 19, 2001
A:

Irritable bowel syndrome is now recognized as a disorder of serotonin activity. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in the brain that regulates sleep, mood (depression, anxiety), aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior and pain sensation. Serotonin also acts as a neurotransmitter in the gastrointestinal tract.

Excessive serotonin activity in the gastrointestinal system (enteric nervous system) is thought to cause the diarrhea of irritable-bowel syndrome. The enteric nervous system detects bowel distension (expansion) on the basis of pressure-sensitive cells in the bowel lumen (opening). Once activated, these pressure-sensitive cells promote the release of serotonin, which in turn promotes both secretory function and peristaltic function (the contractions of the intestines that force the contents outward). At least four serotonergic receptors have been identified to be participants in the secretory and peristaltic response.

Patients with diarrhea-predominant IBS may have higher levels of serotonin after eating than do people without the disorder. This recognition led to the development of the first drug used specifically to treat diarrheal symptoms of IBS, alosetron (also known as Lotronex). Alosetron blocked the specific serotonin receptors responsible for recognizing bowel distention. In doing so, it blocked the effects of serotonin and reduced both bowel secretions and peristalsis. Constipation was the most common side effect seen. (Note: Alosetron was removed from the market by the manufacturer after repeated reports of a dangerous condition known as ischemic colitis became known.) Tegaserod (Zelmac) is another drug under development and under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for approval. Tegaserod is indicated for the treatment of constipation-predominant IBS and works to increase enteric nervous system serotonin activity.

So, increasing serotonin activity in the enteric nervous system produces increased bowel secretions and peristalsis (and potentially diarrhea), whereas depressing serotonin activity produces reduced secretions and reduce peristalsis (and potentially constipation). Increasing serotonin activity in the brain would increase awareness and, in higher doses, produce anxiety, insomnia and restlessness."

The stress itself or even a migrane could still effect the gut and the gut the brain.

So there could be a lot of reasons.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#334955 - 08/20/08 06:14 AM
A_Card

I haven't read that write-up. Where can I find it?

#334956 - 08/20/08 06:16 AM
A_Card

Wow, thank you. That's incredibly helpful! I was suspicious of it but couldn't find a clear answer. Thank you so much.

#334958 - 08/20/08 06:22 AM
Syl

Hi Shawneric,

While 5-htp is a precusor to serotonin and 5-htp supplements may increase serotonin so can the consumption of carbohydrates and other things. Only specific serotonin receptors are believed to be involved in IBS. Specifically 5-HT3 receptors in IBS-D and 5-HT4 receptors IBS-C. Drugs such as Alosetron and Tegaserod work by acting directly on these receptors. However, both of these drugs have run into difficulty with serious side effects.

I have not seen anything in the IBS research literature that suggests taking 5-htp supplements can effect IBS symptoms have you?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#334959 - 08/20/08 06:39 AM
A_Card

I did recently find this article that suggests that if you have ibs, crohn's or some similar condition that you probably shouldn't take 5-htp because the side effects may be more prominent.

http://ezinearticles.com/?5HTP-Side-Effects&id=403212

Also, I found these articles online listing some side effects of 5-htp:

http://ezinearticles.com/?5HTP-Side-Effects&id=403212
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/health-supplements/l-tryptophan-5-htp-side-effect.html

I was also in a forum where a lady that had regular gastritis said that 5-htp made her gastritis worse.

It looks like either it has not been investigated thoroughly yet or the results are not easily found by the general public for whatever reason. In any case, it looks as though with the evidence we have, it is leaning toward 5-htp being a possible trigger in some people with ibs.

I'm not trying to be non-supportive of natural supplements. I used to sell them for a living. I know a lot about supplements, and I take them any chance I can get. But, I also know that just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe or safe for everybody. I'm just trying to collect as much evidence as I can and come to a logical conclusion.

Thanks,

A

#334960 - 08/20/08 06:55 AM
Syl

There is a link to it in the previous message. Here it is again Dr Weil

--------------------

Re: Syl new
      #335015 - 08/20/08 02:47 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I have had several people in HFS recommend it, but I think it's because they all assume everyone with IBS must also have problems with anxiety! I have read that 5-HTP, along with GABA is for anxiety relief... So glad we have people like you doing all the research!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review