All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fen...I have a blueberry question for you....
      #334895 - 08/19/08 02:04 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

Do you eat frozen or fresh blueberries? I know it seems like a random question, but there's actually a method behind the madness...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bumpity bump...nt new
      #334933 - 08/19/08 07:47 PM
Hapamama

Re: Bumpity bump...nt new
      #334946 - 08/20/08 04:02 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Sorry Hapamama - didn't turn my computer on last night!

I actually eat both - I eat fresh blueberries in the summer when they are cheaper, and I eat frozen blueberries the rest of the year. If I'm going to cook my berries, i.e.: in hot cereal, I just use the frozen.

Just out of curiosity, what is the method behind your madness??

--------------------
IBS-C

Method behind the madness...... new
      #334984 - 08/20/08 10:46 AM
Hapamama

Thanks Fen! No worries about the post, I was just bumping to make sure you saw it.

My four yo son has a very sensitive GI tract - I'm guessing he has IBS. He also has some kind of developmental delay and sensory issues that we have not yet diagnosed. He has a very limited ability to self-report if he is uncomfortable, I see it in his behavior, it's very specific when he is constipated. He has blueberries every morning to help keep things moving smoothly. We switched to fresh during the summer for the same reason you were saying and the results were a disaster. The fresh berries did not flush him out AT ALL!!! He was a mess, behaviorally, for days until I figured it out. We went back to the smaller, "wild" frozen berries and he regulated w/in 24 hours thank God!

I know the frozen have more fluid in them and are more broken down so I'm assuming that's the reason they are more effective.

I guess you don't notice any difference since you go both ways - so to speak!

Anybody else out there have this experience?

Re: Method behind the madness...... new
      #335001 - 08/20/08 12:44 PM
Fen

Wow - I've never noticed a difference, but I'll have to pay more attention! I'm pretty C most of the time - unless I binge on something that makes me feel totally terrible (like corn on the cob, a boatload of beans, etc.) I pretty much always have a hard time going.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's difficulties. That must be so hard as a parent to not be able to help!

I know you follow a GF diet - is your son on a GFCF diet? I know there's been some anecdotal evidence that a GFCF diet helps some developmental disabilities, particularly those in the Autism Spectrum...

--------------------
IBS-C

Yup.... new
      #335006 - 08/20/08 01:27 PM
Hapamama

He has been dairy free since infancy w/only a few exceptions to "test" for sensitivity. We went gluten-free last fall and it was like a new child had come to live w/us w/in 24 hours. Since he did not test positive for celiacs disease, I'm guessing it's a sensitivity to gluten or whole wheat or both. I was giving him whole wheat everything - pasta, cereal, pancakes etc...brown rice - the works and thought I was doing him favor. It was eye opening I have to say.

It is tough to have to deciper some of his ways of letting me know what's happening with him, but he's a great kid and it makes me a better parent because I really have to tune in.

btw, I am following a GF diet, but I "cheat" to experiment, KWIM? I am starting to think it was the whole wheat and maybe not the gluten for me, but I'm not positive. I don't want to take any chances w/the boy, because he is so miserable when he's out of wack, so I keep him strictly GF for now.

Let me know if you have any illuminating blueberry insights!

Re: Yup.... new
      #335016 - 08/20/08 02:52 PM
Fen

Well, best of luck with him - he sounds like a sweetie! Do you have any other children?

I've gone back and forth on the gluten thing myself - it's so frustrating, isn't it? On the one hand, I think, maybe it's just whole wheat and bran (and oats, in my case) and not actually wheat! On the other hand, I don't want to be doing damage if I am actually gluten intolerant...

And it's much much much easier to eat gluten free if you can substitute lunchtime sandwiches for salads. It's tough when you don't know what else you can tolerate!

You'll definitely be the first to know if I have any illuminating thoughts about blueberries! The fresh ones are getting harder and harder to find lately, so it looks like I'll be back to frozen.

--------------------
IBS-C

fen new
      #335251 - 08/25/08 09:30 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

do you eat gf still? Has it helped?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Jordy new
      #335253 - 08/25/08 09:59 AM
Fen

Jordy -

I'm sorry, but I really just don't know. Yes, I do believe that it does help. However, I don't think it's the full answer for me. I still cannot tolerate dairy, soy, or anything that really has any fat in it at all, including nut butters. And I have difficulty with most raw fruits and veggies. So that obviously leaves me pretty limited, and I have been "cheating" a lot lately because I just get so hungry!

My usual pattern (now) is to be ok at work because I only pack simple, easy to digest foods, but then I get home and I'm soooooooooo hungry that I eat corn chips or something, and then I wind up all bloated and gassy and queasy and cranky.

I have decided to really buckle down for the next week and a half before I see my nutritionist again and eat GF and easy to digest foods, like she suggested. I want to be able to tell her definitively if it is helping or not.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3013 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2200

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review