All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: To MREA disability info new
      #346513 - 05/29/09 12:00 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Thanks so much I will definately check into this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#346549 - 05/30/09 01:18 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

This is very timely info for me, and something to digest (hopefully I'll digest it better than any foods I've been eating lately).

I've lost a lot of work due to days off with IBS-D. I've used up all my FMLA pay and all my short term disability. I haven't drawn a full paycheck in a LONG time, and I'm hurting tremendously (financially).

My question is: Does one have to be out of work to apply for this disability? I may be fired soon, but I'm wondering if I could collect any benefits for all the days I've missed and was not paid any benefits for.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#346550 - 05/30/09 07:22 AM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09

My question is: Does one have to be out of work to apply for this disability? I may be fired soon, but I'm wondering if I could collect any benefits for all the days I've missed and was not paid any benefits for.

Saul yes you have to be out of work in order to apply for state disability and it will cover up to a year then if your still out of work then you have to apply for permanent if your still not able to go back to work. The only thing that I know of that will cover days missed is your sick leave, vacation leave, fmla, and any other work related leave you might have. State disability goes according to when your able to go back towork so if the dr. says you can't go back for 2 months then if its approved you will get paid for those 2 months then have to get recertified to stay out of work longer and stay on temp disability. Which they mail they paper to you when you get your last check. Check with your state and see if there are any more options available as it varies from state to state. I am California so New York I know is very very different when it comes to alot of things then here.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

#346554 - 05/30/09 08:10 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09

I had taken all of Dec off of work as a medical leave to try to get my issues under control and I was suppose to go back to work the first week of Jan. but that didnt happen. So technically I didn't quit my job until Jan 09 but they back payed me for all of Dec. So you might be able to get those days paid for. I would check into it before anything does happen.

#346563 - 05/30/09 10:57 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

Anyone know?

Thanks.

For Social Security disability payments you do not necessarily have to completely stop work. You just have to be working under what is called substantial gainful activity, currently considered to be $960 a month. People working and earning above this amount are considered to be not disabled.

There are many work incentives while you're receiving disability to try to let people get back to working, such as trial work periods where you continue to receive benefits for several months even if you're earning above SGA. This allows you to keep collecting without interruption if you aren't able to keep up the work. You can get more info on the Social Security website.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#346566 - 05/30/09 11:42 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 795 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10693

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review