All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Rice Dream If? and a couple questions
      #333718 - 07/31/08 07:41 PM

Unregistered

ok, I need to stay away from IF right now, my waste is so mushy. Is rice dream insoluble fiber? what about so delicious ice cream thats made with soy? i think both of them had brown rice as ingridients, so is that lots of IF?

almost forgot, what about cammomile tea, marshmellow and catnip, are those all helpful, do any of u take passion flower?

Also I bought some frozen mangoes. That is totally safe and Sf, Right? would that be good as a smothie by itself, frozen mangoes? I would need to use rice dream to make it though..any ideas what to do?

what about tostitoes, those are if too right?

Can mushy poo, dirreah like, be making me feel slightly nausous at times? I know all of this is becase of not eating right. I also take alot of acacia fiber everyday. I don't even mesure it. I just dump probly a few tablespoons everytime and drink it I don't get constipated. If im lukcy when my wastew is really musy, it will come out and look just a little more bulky, but it just looks weird and floats at the top of the water.

Edited by aperson (07/31/08 07:44 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice Dream If? and a couple questions new
      #333719 - 07/31/08 08:57 PM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

Yes Rice dream should count as SF. Ice cream and Tostitos will have fats, marshmallow has allot of sugar that may cause the diarrhea to get worse. Camomile tea should help with discomfort and hydration. I don't take passion flower and I thought catnip was for cats ;0) The mangoes should be good but that sounds like allot of acacia fiber - have you tried a probiotic? As for the floating poo - it may have allot of gas. Make sure your drinking fluids and getting your vitamins (I like Miracle 2000 bc it's easy on my belly). Hope this helps.

um no.. new
      #333738 - 08/01/08 08:35 AM

Unregistered

"Yes Rice dream should count as SF. Ice cream and Tostitos will have fats, marshmallow has allot of sugar that may cause the diarrhea to get worse. Camomile tea should help with discomfort and hydration. I don't take passion flower and I thought catnip was for cats ;0) The mangoes should be good but that sounds like allot of acacia fiber - have you tried a probiotic? As for the floating poo - it may have allot of gas. Make sure your drinking fluids and getting your vitamins (I like Miracle 2000 bc it's easy on my belly). Hope this helps."

Oh, I thought if the rice dream was made with brown rice it would be insoluble fiber..and i thought tostitoes are IF they are made with corn...oh and the soy ice cream was made with brown rice or something too

I didn't know the marshmellow herb had tons of sugar..i don't think so

http://www.regaininghealthnaturally.com/Herb_Information/Marshmallow_Root.shtml

"Marshmallow has factors which combine with and eliminate toxins, helping the body to cleanse. This makes marshmallow an excellent herb to add to other formulas to help neutralize toxins that are the causative factors of arthritis."
Demulcent: This herb softens and soothes damaged or inflamed surfaces such as the gastric mucous membranes."

catnip is for medicinal use not just for cats.. http://hubpages.com/hub/Medical-Uses-of-Catnip

" it can also be used as a digestive aid (which makes it an effective treatment for diarrhea) and an anti-biotic, which doubles its use as anti-diarrheal and a treatment for fever."

anti-biotic?? maybe this herb isn't good?

oh yea, I drink tons of water and fennel tea all day, so i don't need to worry that im not drinking enough. I already take a good vitamin and take peppermint capsules,regimint,fennel tea,papaya enzyme.

floating poo is good! new
      #333748 - 08/01/08 09:32 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

It means you are getting a good amount of fiber in your diet! Crazy, huh?

Soy/rice milks are not IF; yes it may say brown rice, but think about how small those molecules of brown rice are. Drinking rice milk is WAY different than eating a bowl of cooked brown rice. The brown rice in the rice milk is already so broken down that your body doesn't have to do much with it. Same with soy ice creams. Tostitos are SF; cereals and chips made from corn are considered SF. Again, think about the difference in consistency between corn on the cob, and a tortilla chip.

Yes, mangoes are SF.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: um no.. new
      #333750 - 08/01/08 09:37 AM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

If you have baked tostito's they should be fine and ice cream that is soy and fat-free (I haven't found either). As for the marshmallow, i thought your were talking about the the common candy form. As for cat-nip if you noticed the little smile after, it means it was a joke - I wouldn't take it because there are so many gentle herbs that are proven over time to work for our IBS symptoms. If you decide to try anything new and it works for you, please let us know. By doing a search through the past forum files I see no mention of either use of marshmallow root or catnip. Hope this helps.
Just my humble opinions - Have a blessed day.

frozen mangoes, disgusting, why? new
      #333751 - 08/01/08 09:50 AM

Unregistered

ok if your sure... i bought 2 bags of frozen mangoes thinking it would taste good to make a mango smoothie by just using rice dream and mangoes. It tasted nasty. why don't they taste good, like real mangoes? I added honey to it, it didn't help at all.

Re: um no.. new
      #333773 - 08/01/08 10:53 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Read the So Delicious ice cream label really good, 'cuz I'm pretty sure it has casein in it. That's why I cannot tolerate it. Casein is a cow's milk protein, and an IBS trigger.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Frozen mango.... new
      #333793 - 08/01/08 12:34 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

We love frozen mango, but made the same mistake of using it in a tofu based pudding. YUCK! We just defrost the whole bag, keep it in the frig and eat it straight up and really like it that way. I also like it w/white rice when my belly is really acting up. It's also great as mild salsa w/chicken/rice. I think all fruit tastes different once it has been frozen, it never tastes as good as fresh!

So Delicious Ice Cream is Vegan, no Casein.... new
      #333794 - 08/01/08 12:41 PM
Hapamama

They list all their products as being certified vegan. Sorry you can't eat it FM!

Sorry you can't eat it FM! ??? whats that mean. nt. new
      #333797 - 08/01/08 12:56 PM

Unregistered

Re: Sorry you can't eat it FM! ??? whats that mean. nt. new
      #333798 - 08/01/08 12:58 PM
Hapamama

It means I'm sorry that Fancymom can't eat the so delicious ice cream.

what exactly is vegan? about the frozen magoes again.. new
      #333799 - 08/01/08 01:02 PM

Unregistered

is vegan meaning like for vegetarians for has to do with vegtables?

after i made the mango smoothie with just rice milk and hated it, i added honey and still didn't, but when i went back to it 10 minutes later, it was ok. Is it possible some of the seed got in it and made it taste bad? because their was a chunk in the blender that wouldn't blend, i quit to see what it was and it was a chunk of the seed..

Vegan...... new
      #333800 - 08/01/08 01:13 PM
Hapamama

Vegan means it contains no animal products whatsoever. There are differing schools of thought, but at the most extreme that means no honey, processed sugar, gelatin, anything containing an animal product or that violates a living creature in the way it's made. Vegan also refers to a way of living beyond diet that attempts to live as compassionately as possible w/out using any products that harm animals.
Vegan

Re: So Delicious Ice Cream is Vegan, no Casein.... new
      #333824 - 08/01/08 04:38 PM
fancymom

Me too!! Are you SURE there is no casein and no whey?? I am almost positive I saw one of those listed on the container.

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Sorry you can't eat it FM! ??? whats that mean. nt. new
      #333825 - 08/01/08 04:39 PM
fancymom

Hahaaaaaa!!! That was FUNNY!

I knew what you meant HM

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Frozen mango.... new
      #333826 - 08/01/08 04:40 PM
fancymom

Frozen blueberries are really delicious!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: frozen mangoes, disgusting, why? new
      #333828 - 08/01/08 05:27 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

mangoes aren't really very sweet... i would add in something like raspberries, strawberries, and/or blueberries.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

what does processed sugar have to do with it? new
      #333975 - 08/04/08 05:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Vegan newbie.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: what does processed sugar have to do with it? new
      #333977 - 08/04/08 05:49 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Much of the white sugar in this country is refined using animal bones.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333983 - 08/04/08 07:35 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

YUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKK! You just taught me something new, and since I am a very visual person, don't think I can look at sugar anymore!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#333992 - 08/05/08 04:11 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Perhaps I should post this in the "giving up sugar" thread in the living room!

--------------------
IBS-C

#333993 - 08/05/08 04:28 AM
GaGa

Yes... Send it to "Fancy" - a very good visual!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#334053 - 08/05/08 04:04 PM
Hapamama

yes, that was enough to wean me off of it too - totally disgusting...I still eat sugar, just organic, unprocessed.

#334071 - 08/05/08 09:49 PM
GaGa

Hapamama -
You are one of the most knowledgeable, diligent eaters/cooks I know. I predict you will write your own cookbook on IBS/GF one day!
Kudos & {{Hugs}} - Dorothy

--------------------

#334094 - 08/06/08 07:36 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Where did you find this info?I couldn't find anything that even mentioned animal bones.Check out the American Crystal Sugar Company website.It explains how sugar is extracted from the sugar beet and sugar cane is basically extracted the same way.Where do animals come into it?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334095 - 08/06/08 07:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Bone char (calcinated animal bones) is sometimes used to decolorize sugar. About a quarter of the sugar in the U.S. gets processed using bone char and the rest gets processed with activated carbon. Bone char does not get into the sugar.

You can read more about it on this web page or this more detailed document on sugar refining.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

aw, thanks Dorothy! new
      #334121 - 08/06/08 01:18 PM
Hapamama

I am already writing a book! But it's not a health based book, I do love to study and talk about food though, that's for sure! I'd love to go back to school and study nutrition and be a nutritionist/personal chef/writer. Someday!!!!

I think ripe mangoes are new
      #334142 - 08/06/08 05:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

way sweeter than berries. I always add stevia to berries but not mango, pineapple, melon or banana.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2095 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review