All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
From constipation to diarrhea
      #333564 - 07/29/08 09:03 PM
burk

Reged: 10/07/06

I've been on the diet for almost two years, and have had dramatic improvements, but I'm still struggling to reach normal digestion most of the time. I'm doing the IBS audio program right now (almost done), and while it helps, it hasn't cured me yet.

The majority of the time I'm mostly stable, but there's few times when I'm not bloated or gassy at all.

My question concerns a pattern that I notice most of the time with my digestion. Things will go smoothly for half a day, then I'll start to feel bloated and full, even though I don't overeat. The next morning I'll feel fine, and then at some point in the morning my stomach freaks out and there's a sudden bowel movement which by the end is pretty loose. Basically, my digestion seems to alternate from constipation to diarrhea when my GI tract feels it has reached its capacity.

I am well aware of the diet guidelines and the effects of stress. I meditate, do yoga and other activities that help to manage but cannot fully prevent this pattern. Any ideas or similar experiences and what helped you?

The thing that kills me is that my digestive health is acceptable, but I desperately want to gain weight as I am a 6 foot male at 145 pounds, and I can't gain any weight when I have to be so careful about eating too much since that is an obvious trigger. But that's a whole other issue I suppose. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: From constipation to diarrhea new
      #333597 - 07/30/08 10:02 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I'm afraid all I can offer is sympathy since I have the same problem. I'll have C for a few days, then get a raging case of D. Then when I'm all "empty" I go back to C. It's like I can't go unless I'm "full", and then watch out!

I've been trying the Acacia fiber. I think it's helped a little, but I'm having trouble finding the ideal dose. Right now I take a small amount and I think my D has decreased, but I still have some C. But if I try to go up anymore I get very ill with D and cramping.

I think I've done as much as I can with diet, so I'm going to do some more work on the stress factor. Have you tried the hypnosis yet? I have the CD's but I only got partway through, so I need to start over.

How much does the yoga help? I've been wanting to try this, too.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Re: From constipation to diarrhea new
      #335137 - 08/21/08 07:52 PM
burk

Reged: 10/07/06

I have done the hypnosis, I just completed the program a little over a week ago. It does help, and one image that is used in it I have adopted to help my body not go out of control. I wouldn't say it's a cure though...I'm pretty frustrated right now that I have to be so careful about drinking juice.

Yoga is amazing, I highly recommend it, there have been several times when I felt it has improved my health. I'm so into it I do it almost every day. I have found meditation in lotus pose to be as much of a "cure" as the hypnosis cds.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review