All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need help with food processing/additives question!
      #333359 - 07/27/08 08:49 PM
Viajero98

Reged: 11/29/07

Alright, this will be a little long. I need some help figuring out what I'm really having trouble with!
For the past year I thought I had IBS. I've gone to the doctors and a few have told me that they're almost 100% sure that's what it is. I'm going to a special doctor later this week to have a....sorry, can't remember the name! I think it's a partial endoscopy, just so they can be sure that it's not something "more" serious. I was pretty sure that was all it was up until a few weeks ago.
The past few summers I've traveled to other parts of the world (Europe, Africa) and after getting back from Africa last week I realized that I hardly ever have problems with food while I'm out of the country. Actually, while I was in Turkey I was eating yogurt for breakfast each day and feeling great. I had raw fruit almost all day and felt better than I do almost any other time. I thought it was a fluke until I realized that when I was in Africa for six weeks I only had a day or two where I wasn't feel great and I think that's just because I hadn't had enough water and fiber.
When I came back from this last trip (Monday) I took a suggestion from a friend to eat a bowl of FiberOne each day. I know, exactly the opposite of what we're told, but I was so desperate that I wanted to try it! Well, from Monday until today (Saturday) I've been eating a bowl of that a day, bran muffins, raw fruit and yogurt each and every day. The good news? I felt amazing! I actually got to remember what it was like to be normal!
But yesterday I started to get a little bloated, and today I drank some Crystal Light and my head suddenly felt like it was going to explode. I'm getting really tired for no reason, just like I did before Africa, but not during.
I don't want to keep rambling away so I'll just ask my question now. I know that a lot of people here have said they have problems with things put into processed foods. the Crystal Light I had today was lemonade flavor and the first ingredient was citric acid, one of the things that I remember being an issue. Does anyone have any insight into how the processing of foods might be hurting my body? I'm wondering if what I have isn't so much IBS but an issue with something in process food? I mean, I'm 100 times better in other countries where I eat things that are usually raw, grown without junk, all that good stuff.
I'm lost but I'm feeling strong enough to beat this thing now. If anyone has any insight into anything that I've talked about here please, please share it with me. I'd LOVE to hear what you have to say! Thanks in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need help with food processing/additives question! new
      #333363 - 07/28/08 04:08 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I don't have anything real insightful to say, except that you're probably sensitive to artificial sugars (in the Crystal Light), high fructose corn syrup, MSG, or any number of artificial additives they add to our food here.

Have you tried following a "real" foods diet here? I would try eating lots of fruits and veggies, meat if you eat it, and you can supplement with additive free bread, yogurt, etc. from the health food store.

It's a much healthier way to eat. I hope it helps you feel better!

I think Fiber One has artificial sugars (Splenda, maybe?) in it, by the way. Check the label.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333365 - 07/28/08 05:24 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

My mom-in-law gets horrible headaches from artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. I can't remember if Crystal Light has aspartame or sucralose (Splenda) but I would stay away from it either way. Especially sucralose can cause bloating even in healthy people.

In other things I agree with Fen. Have you tried eating in a "natural" way while back in the US? It's a little more work but I think it well worth it. For example, instead of Fiber One you can make your own granola using old-fashioned oats, dried fruit, nut, and even bran (if that's whats in Fiber One). There are tons of recipes on the internet on how to make it nice and crunchy, and you can just tailor it to your dietary needs.

The way I would look at it is that at least you know your body has a potential to function normally. Outside of the USA and Europe I've only been to Turkey so I don't know from experience but I always imagine that people in Asia and Africa aren't affected by the typical western diet and eat much healthier than we do. So I would try to mimic the diet you ate while traveling as much as possible, sans the Crystal Light and hopefully you'll feel better again!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333376 - 07/28/08 07:07 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I get the same reaction from crystal light.It's weird though because I drank it when I was younger and had no problems but now no way.

I have no proof but I definitely think the reason we are all sick is because of the chemicals they put into our foods.Not just that but think about the fertilizers and herbicides,pesticides they put onto and into our environment.The human body wasn't built to digest these things.It is hard for a lot of people to go organic it's more expensive and in rural areas like ours(ZURICH OnTARIO) some people think organic is a swear word.lol
When local produce is in season they we buy locally and try to grow as much of our own as possible but not everyone is as lucky.
I really notice that when I do buy organic,It lasts much longer in the fridge. Coincidence?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333382 - 07/28/08 07:35 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I definitely think the reason we are all sick is because of the chemicals they put into our foods.Not just that but think about the fertilizers and herbicides

Totally agree with you on this one. They are killing us. Read a label for what they put in a loaf of bread....ridiculous. Don't you just need flour and yeast and real things? Why all this HFCS and crap?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#333411 - 07/28/08 08:58 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

It's funny, my husband is always on me to find ways to reduce our grocery bills (I do most of the shopping) but I refuse to buy a $3 loaf of bread that's filled with complete garbage. I buy super tasty and, in my opinion, way way healthier organic spelt bread for $5. I think the only ingredients are spelt flour, honey, water, yeast and salt.

My justification is that we'll save money one health care costs down the road!

I'd love to buy all organic produce as well, but it's just so expensive! It's a sad state of affairs when it's cheaper to go eat complete crap at McDonald's than it is to cook a tasty healthy meal at home.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3074 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review