All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: What is the SCD Diet???? new
      #333306 - 07/27/08 06:07 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

You know what other change I made this week? I started buying pants one size larger. Not because my pants were too small (really), but because even slight pressure from the waistband when I sit down bothers me. This is probably a combination of my guts as well as my bladder, but it seems to be helping! It was really really hard to buy the bigger size, but between wearing my pants super loose and not worrying about what I eat so much, I felt GREAT this week! Seriously! The only time I felt a little sick was when I overdid it on potato chips - my weakness, and one that I haven't allowed myself in a loooong time. And it wasn't even awful - I just felt really really full and couldn't eat dinner that night. Not the worst thing in the world, since I consumed a bunch of calories in the form of potato chips!

I think we just need to really tune in and listen to our bodies. If we're gassy and bloated and uncomfortable, our bodies are screaming at us that something is wrong.

Others may disagree with me here, but I just don't buy that our bowels are "irritable" for no reason. If I'm irritable, there's certainly a reason for it - I'm tired, I'm hungry, I had a negative interaction with my mother. Similarly, I think our bowels are irritable because we eat too much junk food or because we don't take the time to empty them properly or we don't drink enough water or whatever. We need to figure out the nuances behind our own bodies.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#333310 - 07/27/08 07:16 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

fancymom - SCD is basically eating only certain carbs (fruits, veggies, and honey for a sweetener), meat, eggs, nuts and seeds, and homemade, well-fermented yogurt. You can get almond flour and make breads and cakes that you sweeten with honey. This diet was designed by Elaine Gottschal whose daughter suffered a bad case of ulcerative collitis. After having started this diet she got better and eventually was able to add some things back into her diet.

The diet itself sounds actually pretty healthy but it's not for everyone. My gut was going nuts because of all that IF contained in fruits and veggies without any grains, potatoes, etc. So I stopped it after about a week because I was in so much pain (and bloated) that I thought my intestines were about to burst open.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333311 - 07/27/08 07:23 AM
Zara

Fen, I've been doing the loose pants thing for years. I buy them so that they're loose around my waist (or under my waist since I wear low-rise) but "tight" enough so that they don't fall off my hips. A belt is my friend. So many times I've come to work in the morning with my belt keeping my pants from falling down, and then carrying the same belt in my bag back home at night .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333315 - 07/27/08 08:14 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Fen,
I'm with you and Fancymom...I just don't have a clue anymore. Like you, I have to watch out for food for my bladder, then watch out food for diverticulosis, then watch out what I eat that causes yeast and of course the ominous IBS... I'm just sick and tired of being "sick and tired"!
Had a fairly good week, went out for breakfast buffet and ate "no-nos" cheese grits (light cheese), egg beaters, soft-fried shredded potatoes (light oil) and sausage gravy + I drank a Sprite! Within 30 minutes I thought I was going to pass out from the swelling/bloating and pain - felt I needed to go, but couldn't, then when I did - hems and blood, which still scares the crap out of me. Spent the rest of the day and night in bed with my best friend - my heating pad! Finally had normal BM, but still the hem. pain and gut aching. Today, better, but still bloated & a mouth full of thrush - scared to eat anything. And, guess I'm crazy, just scared to take any other fiber, stool softeners, laxatives because of past experiences with cramping. Long time ago I used to take FiberCon - can you take that and a stool softener? But even some "so called" stool softeners have caused cramping!
So, thanks for allowing me to vent - right now, I'm just clueless and confused and ticked! I think, as long as I don't eat fried or spicy foods, I'll just eat whatever!!!! Bagels and applesauce are my friend, but they cause "C"... Whatever!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (07/27/08 08:16 AM)

Re: Ladies,listen up! new
      #333316 - 07/27/08 09:21 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I'm with you all on the eat whatever cause I'm going to feel like crap anyway train but....Yesterday I started taking my slippery elm tablets ..two three times a day and my acidophilous tablets.Again two every meal.
Yesterday was the first day in about two weeks I felt good.Not super duper but no gas, no bloating and no pain.I woke up in the morning with pain gas and d and decided to do something about it.So I did.
This morning I have a bit of gas but I think that is hormonal and I ate french toast dripping in syrup.That was two hours ago and I feel ok now.I even ate some chocolate a few minutes ago.

If you haven't tried slipery elm you really should.I am not sure if acidophilous is a probiotic but I started using it years ago when this all started and it did me wonders.I don't know why I stopped using itmust have been one of those retarded moments eh fancymom.lol
Anyway good luck to you gals I hope you try this and I hope it helps.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333328 - 07/27/08 01:43 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

, I'm eating whatever the heck I want. Because if I'm going to be bloated, I'm going to eat healthy foods, not white flour and sugary junk. In the past week or so I've eaten things I haven't eaten in months or years, including yogurt and cheese, potato chips , whole wheat bread, and salad. And you know what? I'm no worse than I was before. I actually think I'm feeling better. So while some of the EFI principles are definitely true for me (I personally can't tolerate caffeine, alcohol, red meat or fried foods) the diet in its entirety doesn't work for me.

You're my hero! Good luck with this approach. Keep us updated on how you do. I am so impressed with, Zara. This is exactly what my doctor wants me to do, as I have lost so much wait being "afraid" of so many foods, now. How did you break free of the rigid thinking?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#333329 - 07/27/08 01:46 PM
Jordy

Quote:

Besides, I get so darn tired of being the CONSTANT diet detective. Worrying about everything I eat. It gets SOOOOO exhausting!! I think that triggers me as much as a hamburger!

totally. I am so obsessed with reading labels and fearing eating anything I, personally, have not made because there may be something in it I would fear.

--------------------

#333331 - 07/27/08 01:54 PM
Zara

Dear Jordy, I think you got the names mixed up. The brave soul was Fen, not me ! I wish I could get into that mindset and somehow also convince my body not to get sick, lol! But I have been trying to work on this approach because I seem to get sick no matter what I eat (or don't eat). I'm afraid that I will spend the majority of my life avoiding foods I like and yet I won't get any relief. I feel like I'm missing out! I'm not talking about going on a McDonald's spree but being able to have a huge Greek salad with feta cheese, delicious crunchy whole wheat rolls, etc. I really wish I could eat these one day!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Whoops new
      #333334 - 07/27/08 02:04 PM
Jordy

Well, you can be my hero in the fact that you are so on the same mindset as me.

Fen, I guess you are the brave soul!!!

--------------------

Kim new
      #333335 - 07/27/08 02:07 PM
Jordy

You have IBS and are able to eat this way?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58948

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review