All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: The Dimona, Israel, diet study new
      #332869 - 07/20/08 02:47 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

You may be able to tolerate Splenda, but I have tried it, and I know I definitely cannot! I use stevia. I really like it. There are different kinds of stevia. The "sweet leaf" is pretty bitter. I use the "NuStevia." It really good, MUCH less bitter aftertaste than the sweet leaf.

I think I'm gonna stick to the no yeast, no sugar for now. I feel the best when I don't eat sugar OR yeast. Have you girls read the book "Get the Sugar Out?" It's awesome!! It's got excellent tips and recipes.

I'm like you, GaGa...if I eat TOO much meat, I get even MORE C!! And bloated - WHEW!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#332875 - 07/20/08 03:18 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The message of the Junkfood Science article I quoted is that no type of calorie-cutting regimen seems to get weight off and keep it off over the long term. The people who followed any of the diets studied and stayed on it for the whole two years lost weight initially and then started putting it back on even though they were - as far as anyone could tell - still being faithful to the program. The author attributes this to everyone having a natural weight which the body works very hard to maintain (what used to be called the "setpoint" theory). She seems to think there is a setpoint weight which is basically genetically determined and your body will lower its metabolic rate as you decrease calories in order to stay at your setpoint.

I think that view of the setpoint weight is too simplistic. Several years ago the theory was that we were all born with a setpoint weight but that it was possible to increase that setpoint by overeating enough to gain significant weight. In other words, I might have been born with a setpoint weight of 125 but as I overate and gained weight I drove my setpoint up. The problem, of course, is that once the setpoint goes up getting your weight below that setpoint weight is extremely difficult - your body will do almost anything to hold onto that weight.

I think there's a lot of truth to this but I think there's a missing part of the puzzle - why people eat more than their setpoint weight requires in the first place. Let's say you're a young woman who is 5 foot 5 inches tall and weighs 130 pounds. That's a perfectly healthy weight for that height but considered too heavy cosmetically. So you start dieting to lose weight. I think that if 130 is your setpoint weight you cause your body to panic when you starve yourself to go below it. That means your body fights to hang onto the weight and fights to make you eat more. The more you diet, the more your body wants to pack on weight. Eventually the struggle totally destroys your body's natural sense of what it should weigh and how much it should eat. So you eat based on the situation or on sight of food cues or out of boredom or for a million reasons other than because your body needs fuel to maintain what should have been your normal weight.

If I'm right then what this means is that the more we harangue our children about their weight and the more we deform their eating patterns out of fear of their getting fat, the more we may be setting them up for the very fate we fear they'll suffer. I'm not saying children should eat junk food 24/7 but making kids scared of food and of body fat probably isn't any better an idea physically than it is emotionally. And this can be a very serious problem for girls and young women who are often subjected to incredibly unrealistic expectations.

Exercise is probably the key to regaining and maintaining a healthy weight for most people. I can't find a link but somewhere out there is a program that tracks people who have lost a significant amount of weight (enough so they were considered clinically obese at their heaviest) and kept it off for at least two years (I think that's the criterion). Based on an article I read a few years ago the people being tracked used a bunch of different "diet" plans but the one thing they all had in common was exercise - they all exercised for at least an hour a day. If you believe in the setpoint theory this makes sense since the claim was always that the one thing that could truly re-adjust your metabolic rate was exercise.

So you may be right that losing weight requires a lifestyle change but just eating fewer calories or calories from different sources may very well not do it over the long run - if you have a real weight problem you have to add exercise to the mix. And not knowing that just makes people who try to lose weight strictly through a calorie restricted diet and fail feel worse and worse about themselves for no good reason.

This got really long but the general attitude toward obesity and weight loss drives me nuts. Of course it takes individual effort to lose weight. But when study after study indicates that no matter what weight loss program people try 98% of them cannot achieve and maintain a significant weight loss then there's more to the picture than just weak-willed gluttons who can't control themselves.

(Oh, and as for feeding cattle grain and antibiotics to fatten them up, my understanding is that the antibiotics are to prevent infections that can interfere with getting the cattle ready for market. As for grain, cattle are fed that to fatten up because letting them graze on grass means they're also getting exercise which slows their weight gain - sort of like when humans had to work to get their food. Cattle raisers used to feed cattle meat products to fatten them up (how gross is that). They don't do so now because that's considered the cause of the Mad Cow epidemic in England.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#332877 - 07/20/08 03:29 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

They feed cattle and poultry antibiotics and grains to make them grow faster, i.e. get them to market faster - a quick turnaround = more money. As a result, we suffer when we eat these foods because of what they ate. It's not just antibiotics, it's hormones to make them grow faster too. That's why you see young girls physically maturing and going through puberty earlier -or that's the opinion of many in the medical and alternative medicine community.
I don't know your age or where you are from, but I grew up in Arkansas and spent time on ranches/farms. In my parents' generation and part of mine, the animals roamed free, ate grass, chickens ate worms, etc... As I became an adult, you saw acres of chicken houses, where they just stayed inside all and and were more or less, force-fed, same for cattle and hogs. Not a pretty site. That's why nutritionists/naturapaths are recommending, cage-free/free-range/organic eggs and chickens and grass-fed beef.
Sorry... I just lived through it and saw it first hand. We have so many things to consider these days - makes me feel very old! I have to remind myself "Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore" - reality check!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332880 - 07/20/08 03:50 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Quote:

(Oh, and as for feeding cattle grain and antibiotics to fatten them up, my understanding is that the antibiotics are to prevent infections that can interfere with getting the cattle ready for market.

As well, farmers purposely feed cattle antibiotics to fatten them up..... "Meanwhile, three studies published in the Oct. 18, 2001, issue of The New England Journal of Medicine verified that antibiotic-resistant bacteria are widespread in commercial meats and poultry in the United States and also are found in consumers' intestines. The studies show evidence that the routine use of antibiotics to enhance growth in farm animals can encourage the growth of drug-resistant bacteria..." How disgusting is that?....that we are ingesting the antibiotics from the meat we eat!

Sand- that's my point exactly. There is more to the picture than "weak-willed gluttons". There is such a buzz these days about today's children being overweight. Well, I think it is because if antibiotics and grains can fatten cattle, what is it doing to our children?-or to us? BTW-What is the predominant food being advertised to children on a Sat. morning while watching cartoons? If you said cereal (Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, etc.) you'd be correct! If we get rid of the bad yeast in our body that antibiotics have allowed to proliferate, and limit our grains which feed the yeast, would we find a slimmer America? Would be an interesting study.

#332882 - 07/20/08 04:59 PM
fancymom

Wow, Sand. That was a very interesting post!! You make a lot of really good points! I agree completely...now, I just need someone to come over to my house every day and KICK MY BUTT into doing some exercise!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332883 - 07/20/08 05:01 PM
fancymom

Ok. That is really gross!! But what a great point! If organic meats weren't so darn EXPENSIVE, I would buy them all the time!! Any ideas on how we can save money and still buy organic?

--------------------
FancyMom

#332885 - 07/20/08 05:08 PM
fancymom

You know GaGa, I really wish it were like it was 50 years ago!! When people weren't so SICK, and obese. It's not like people WANT to be obese! I feel sorry for them...really. But what's worse is that they feel the only way out of being so overweight is through surgery! That is scary. My husband and I always watch The Biggest Loser. It is such an inspiring show. I love that those people not only lose weight on the show, and their self-esteem goes through the roof, but their medical problems disappear!! It's amazing how obesity alone can cause you to be so sick!

Anyway, I do always buy cage free/free range eggs, but usually buy store brand chicken. I guess that kind-of defeats the purpose of buying organic eggs, huh?

--------------------
FancyMom

adaptation new
      #332895 - 07/20/08 07:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are ways to eat a safe IBS diet and still eat less carbs and specifically less simple carbs. So for you I would say to focus on fruits and veggies but eat the ones that are safer. For instance, there are SF fruits and veggies that are pretty low in calories. Center your diet around these. Examples: mushrooms, summer squash, carrots, sweet potatoes (some cals but a great sugar substitute), mangoes, avocadoes, bananas, artchoke hearts, etc. Then work in the easier IF veggies like spinach, cooked peas and green beans, etc. A great low cal breakfast would be an egg white omelet with mushrooms and spinach; throw in acacia if needed. I eat a lot of cooked baby carrots, with ginger and honey, for a light 'meal'. For me it isn't so much the carbs as the sugar that is the problem. HFI does not have to be labeled a diet that is prone to weight gain or loss! It is so flexible and can be adapted to either. I have lost and gained weight on it.
My notion on bloating is that it is less what we eat and more how we eat and how our bodies function. I have never found a 'diet' that doesn't make me bloat in the long run.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: adaptation new
      #332910 - 07/21/08 08:37 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Kim, thanks, that's what I'm trying to do now - combining EFI guidelines with no yeast, and low sugar and wheat. We'll see what happens .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: adaptation new
      #332915 - 07/21/08 10:06 AM
fancymom

Better than getting rid of carbs - get rid of SUGAR!! You will feel 110% better!!!!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 896 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58944

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review