All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Help! Not handling carbs well! new
      #332822 - 07/19/08 04:36 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Tofu is disgusting! Sorry...but I have tried it probably a half dozen times, all different ways and I just hate it.

But the rice bread and rice cheese is pretty good. You can get them both at your local health food store (we have Wholefoods) in the "dairy" section. Just ask someone if you don't see them right away.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Dimona, Israel, diet study new
      #332826 - 07/19/08 05:06 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Sand- I appreciate your comments. You are right. To make changes in ones' life, such as going on a diet, usually requires much self-discipline. Even when we know what's not good for us, how quick we are, willing to give in to the temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak Gimmicks won't help one lose weight and keep it off. It has to be a lifestyle change. Most people, especially here in America, aren't eagerly willing to make those changes.It is a "me" world, after all. And we want it right now!

Speaking personally, a lower-carb lifestyle keeps my weight off and IBS symptoms away. Everyone I know who has tried a lo-carb diet has also improved their cholesterol levels along with significant weight loss. The problem is, once they go back to their old eating habits, it all comes back again. Hence, it really has to become a lifestyle change, not a diet for a quick fix.

Here's another thought to ponder...What do farmers give to cattle that fattens them up?...antibiotics and grains.
What do we give our children from the time they are born?......hmmmmm

#332827 - 07/19/08 06:44 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Ok, Kim.
I have tried the low carb dieting, but it doesn't seem to help me lose weight.

What do you eat during a "typical" day?? Can you give me some examples? How long did it take when you first started the low carb thing before you starting losing weight? How much have you lost? Have you ever done The South Beach Diet?

Thanks for any info you can give - and sorry for all the questions!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332841 - 07/19/08 09:05 PM
kim123

I had friends of mine follow the South Beach diet and do well. I have not done it, but it seems reasonable. I first went on an anti-fungal diet to get my symptoms under control and the weight just naturally fell off.

For me now, I don't follow a specific diet, really, but it is a version of an anti-fungal diet as I don't eat a lot of grains and sugar, still.
Breakfast- coffee with half and half, maybe bacon/eggs, or omelette wrapped in lo-carb tortilla bread, or oatmeal with honey-no sugar.
Lunch- I'm not a big lunch eater. Maybe leftover dinner from the night before, or munch on cheese, crackers and yogurt. Sometimes a salad, with grilled chicken or other meat or salmon/tuna topping. Or, just stir-fried chicken or beef with steamed broccoli, carrots, or peas.
Dinner- any meat/fish or poultry with choices of steamed veggies, sweet potato, occasionally brown rice, or some type of salad. Snacks may be plain full fat yogurt with frozen or fresh berries with Stevia, a homemade lo-carb cheesecake, green apple or baby carrots with ranch dip. I do have my moments of weakness and eat chips, cookies and other sweets, sometimes too many. I am human, after all!

When I first started I never had any grains or sugar for 2 weeks, absolutely no processed foods from a box or can. Never any soda-bad for you anyway. I don't drink a lot of juice- too many calories. I drink a lot of water. I think the natural anti-fungals I took also helped lose the weight. As I went along, I didn't have the cravings I once had. I guess you need to do what works best for you. But, don't try to do a little bit of each of the lo-carb and lo-fat diet. Won't work. Lo-fat diets usually have higher sugar (carbs). Pick one diet and give it time to work for you. And we all know, exercise plays a big part in weight loss, too.

I suppose I never had much weight to lose, but I'm guessing I lost about 10 pounds and have kept it off for 5 years now.

#332842 - 07/19/08 10:35 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Wow, I didn't have a chance to reply yesterday, and I was so surprised when I saw how many responses this thread generated over the past 24h!

Fen, when I read your post, I was nodding my head so hard that I almost hit the keyboard! I've had a very similar experience. When I eat a lot of carbs (especially wheat) I get really puffy and I am bloated and have cramps. When I tried cutting those out I was less puffy, still bloated with cramps, and my C got worse. So I've always felt like there was a trade-off - bloating and cramps will always be there, plus I can either be puffy or my C would be worse (because it's not like my C goes completely away when I do eat wheat). Weight isn't a number one priority for me in this case, however, if I could loose a few pounds it wouldn't be too bad . Once can resemble a goodyear's blimp no matter what the scale says !

Fancymom - I'm the same way with tofu. A while ago I finally decided to stop trying to like it. I use chicken and egg whites for protein instead.

I have tried Elaine Gottschal's diet before here but I had to quit after a couple days since my bloating actually got worse and so did the cramps. I just couldn't take it anymore. But it is possible that I went too crazy a little too fast. For example, I did try eating salads, beans, etc.

I've had every test under the sun and I never tested positive for candida or SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth). At the same time, my GI said that although all of my tests were negative they are not 100% right and I should play with different dietary approaches.

I think I will reconsider everything today and try to combine the diet Kim outlines with Heather's guidelines. After all, it's not like Heather says that sugar is mandatory. Also, I will try not to eat yeast stuff. I have a spelt flour at home so I will make a bread, using baking powder instead of yeast.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#332846 - 07/20/08 04:39 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

I've battled yeast for years, since they first diagnosed me with CFIDS, but have to admit I've approached the diet issue half-heartedly. I've read "The Fungus Factor" by Doug Kaufman, watched his TV show and been to his website, plus all the other books on the market-all the way back to Dr. Crook...However, if I go mainly protein, my body doesn't seem to digest it as well, but the yeast issue does get better. My biggest problem is I think I'm addicted to the "sweet taste" - even Splenda. I've tried Stevia, but still too bitter. I can do without cookies, cakes, candy, but I have trouble drinking just plain water - isn't that stupid? I drink 90+ounces a day, but it has to have just a little taste to it - like a little Propel or a little organic fruit juice - maybe 1 oz. to 16 oz. ratio w/ Splenda. You must be a very strong-willed person to be able to be successful on the yeast diet. I don't want to do the drugs anymore and am trying to use yogurt and probiotics instead, but if I eat the wrong thing, I can wake up with thrush - just overnight. Any suggestions other than just stop sugar/yeast cold-turkey? Thanks.

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332852 - 07/20/08 07:22 AM
kim123

Zara- I think you can incorporate Heather's diet with a reduced wheat/sugar diet. I myself have been following some of her suggestions when it comes to eating IF and SF, and have noticed positive results.

When you start any reduced (preferably elimination for awhile) grain/yeast/sugar diet, you probably will feel worse before feeling better, if you do have a fungal condition. You are starving the fungus and the toxins are dying off. It's called Herxheimer's response. I felt worse after starting my elimination diet for about 4-5 days...much worse. More gas, bloating, D, lethargic, aches and pains, etc. That was one indication for me that I really did have a fungal problem.

GaGa- have you tried natural antifungals to help with yeast? I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you will ever get rid of the yeast without doing some form of anti-fungal diet, even for a few weeks. At least maybe try to severely reduce your sugar for a little while. The natural anti-fungals may help your cause along. Also, Doug's book is called "The Fungus Link", in case there are those looking into it. But you can read the gist of it, as well as read his diet for free on Doug's website. He is not out to make money, just help people. He doesn't sell supplements and such. Just his books if you are interested in reading more what his research has found. He lab actually created the first ELISA tests for food allergy. That's where he became intrigued with fungus.

Also, I was never found to be positive for candida either. I had all the tests. I had to experiment with it to realize I had a problem. Candida may, or may not be your issue. You really won't know until you experiment yourself. Candida can cause bloating, C, D, GERD. Is it the cause of yours?- Dunno.

#332859 - 07/20/08 08:12 AM
GaGa

Thanks for the reply and information. Sorry about the book title... I have soooooooo many! :-) Always looking, always searching. You're right about Doug, he has never seemed to be a self-serving man. I hate that we don't get his program on TV anymore - I loved all the discussions. And, isn't it interesting that he says he used to have severe back problems until he eliminated all the yeast/sugar items, and now only has them when he eats his mother's homemade chocolate at Christmas??? I'm going to try and go back on the anti-fungal diet - my main problem is the protein, just can't handle much meat and am allergic to eggs - only can eat occasionally, don't tolerate soy well. My basic diet was brown rice, green beans and chicken w/ sm. amnt. of EVO. Do you think using Splenda is OK??? But, I'm going to try, I've got to get better before another school year like last year...And, I'm tired of waking up with thrush, etc....
Thanks, again. Blessings!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332861 - 07/20/08 08:21 AM
kim123

GaGa- personally I'd stay away from all artificial sweeteners, like Splenda. Lots of controversy out there over it, and even if half of what they say is true, I'd stay away from it. For me it causes major gastro problems. You can still watch Doug's show daily on his website. Click on TV show link to watch it.

GaGa-Are you a teacher? I teach 5th grade here in FL. How was your mini cruise?

#332863 - 07/20/08 10:25 AM
GaGa

I'll try, I wish I could find a good alternative to Splenda.. Like I said, Stevia is just too bitter. And, I'm a little afraid of Xylitol since there are indications it can also cause stomach distress. Maybe just a little natural/pure/organic cane sugar??
Thanks for the information about Doug... I was just on his website. I guess it seems like I live here at the computer, but this is my "relaxation"
I work in the Guidance Department of an Alternative School -LOVE it, and this is my 18th year... but STRESS!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 757 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review