All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why do I feel worse?
      #33245 - 12/22/03 01:24 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I'm about 4 days into this IBS diet and this is about the point I'd normally give up - I FEEL WORSE....

kind of C, gassy, tummy is constantly aching under the strain. What's happening to me???
Could it be reduction in triggers or increase in soluble fibre foods ?

Is it normal to get worse before you get better?
Any idea how long is this likely to take to resolve.
I'm sad...
Shellsbells

Dreaming of getting through just one day without being constantly aware of discomfort in my gut...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why do I feel worse? new
      #33249 - 12/22/03 01:40 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you eaten any insoluble fiber?? If you are prone to C you MUST not eliminate it completey from your diet! I did this in the beginning and I also felt worse!

You may be a little more bloated and gassey if your body isn't used to the extra fiber from supplements. Are you drinking enough water? What are you doing for exercise?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Any ideas (feeling worse)? new
      #33253 - 12/22/03 02:02 PM
Shellsbells

Thanks Michele - I drink loads of water all day and haven't taken any supplements yet - just changed my diet to mostly rice cakes, basmati rice, white bread and added in a bit of chicken/fish a few well cooked veg and peeled cooked fruit.

Before this I was eating a lot more veg, some whole grains, beans and raw fruit with skins on; so I have seriously increased my soluble fibre whilst drastically reducing my insoluble fibre, and cut out fat at the same time. Should I be doing all of this much more gradually?

As for exercise, I wonder if this has been the key to my problems all along. I used to be a swimmer - training intensively for about 9 hours a week (boy, was I fit!) Next to yoga, swimming is THE most stress relieving exercise and it takes all your stomach muscles just to keep you afloat. (I could swim 5 miles by the time I was 9 and at 13 could swim 3 lengths of a 25 metre pool underwater without coming up for air)(I'm only boasting here - hard to believe now!) At 14 I gave it up. By 17, IBS was starting and has got worse ever since. Now I sit hunched over a desk all day at work and do very little exercise aside from a 10 minute walk to the bus stop.

It's hard to exercise though when you feel like you've got a hot air balloon fully inflated inside you.

Re: Any ideas (feeling worse)? new
      #33255 - 12/22/03 02:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Make yourself exercise! First do some yoga or relaxation techniques if you want...and then just go for it! Your body will thankyou for it later!

Keep up with the changes you're making...and add the fiber supplements ASAP! They really do help!

Bring insoluble fiber back into your ;ife pronto...bu it do it slowly. Make sure you puree things, de-skin them, and chew them carefully...and cook well!

HTH...and hope you start feeling better soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks Ruchie new
      #33267 - 12/22/03 02:36 PM
Shellsbells

I've got a yoga video (also used to do yoga years ago - could bend and stretch any which way then!) so I'm gonna force myself to do some of that each day and then progress to more vigorous stuff.

I've just ordered some Acacia, so i'm hoping that will help.
I'm sticking with it, thanks to you guys
Shellsbells
XX

Re: Thanks Ruchie new
      #33353 - 12/23/03 07:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Shell, I found that just the change in diet was a bit of a trigger in itself. Stick to it! The exercise helps - ESPECIALLY with bloating.

Re: Thanks Linz new
      #33357 - 12/23/03 07:28 AM
Shellsbells

Thanks Linz,
It's starting to ease off already, I think.
How are you feeling now - better I hope?
Shellsbells

#33360 - 12/23/03 07:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Shell

I'm actualy having a naff day today...I'm really gassy and my tummy was aching this morning so I was panicking that the colic was returning. I'm at work and can't wait until I can get home, have a bath and maybe do some yoga. Plus have my herbal tea! I've bought some straight Fennel tea, but the smell is putting me off.

Glad I could help!

Linz

#33381 - 12/23/03 07:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Exercise really helps me a lot. The more I exercise the better I feel. I know it's about the LAST thing you want to do when you feel all bloated and crappy but make yourself do it on a regular basis!

Also, because you are having some constipation, do add in more insoluble fiber. Try some brown rice with your dinner. Hummus and whaet pita bread is a favorite of mine. Maybe try a small bowel of whatever higher fiber ceral you like-I can do raisin bran once in a while-CAUTION-some people do have problems with raisins and the higher amounts of fiber so go slow and only add one or two things at a time so you know if you have a problem what caused it!

Start off slowly on the acacia. I had been taking 6-8 fibercon a day so I jumped right in on almost 2 spoons a day and that was too much. Made me really stinky gassey and more bloated. Heather suggested I go to just one regular spoon a day for a while and thats working much better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Thanks Ruchie new
      #33471 - 12/23/03 11:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Good for you! I know you're going to get better--you have such a terrific attitude! Keep us updated

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1627

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review