All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about birth control??
      #332420 - 07/14/08 09:28 AM
cdc6800

Reged: 02/27/08
Loc: biloxi,ms

Hi, I haven't posted in a while but, I am currently on the pill, but I am not able to stay consistent with it at all, so it is really messing my cycles up, I am having one every 2 weeks!! Just wondering if anyone has tried the Depo-provera shot and how they like it... and do you think the shot could affect my IBS at all?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about birth control?? new
      #332423 - 07/14/08 10:36 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Pre-IBS, I was on DepoProvera for about a year and a half.

I did not like it. It made all emotions less intense for me, killed my sex drive, and dried me out. Oh, and I spotted constantly for at least half the time I was on it.
I've read some woman put on a lot of weight on DepoProvera, but that wasn't a side effect for me.

I've also tried the patch. I didn't have as many side effects, but I still didn't like it.

I've never tried BTC, but since the above methods didn't work for me, I'm steering clear of prescription birth control.

#332424 - 07/14/08 10:43 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I'm on the pill form.not sure the name but it takes my severe cramps away.I'd never do the shot.You have no control over it and if you have side effects you have to wait for it to leave your system.At least with the pill you can stop taking it at any time.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332431 - 07/14/08 12:32 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I have been taking the pill for years (Necon). I had to go up a dose because I was having spotting when I first went on it, now I take a slighter higher dose and it works fine. I am also HORRIBLE about taking it consistently. One thing that has really worked for me: I set the alarm on my cell phone for every night at 7pm. When the alarm goes off, I take my pill. If I am with anyone who I don't want to know my business, I just pretend it's a phone call Occasionally I still forget if I am somewhere and my phone is on silent but for the most part it helps me remember every night. I honestly don't know if I would ever take it without it. Hope this helps!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#332451 - 07/14/08 04:05 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I'm on the pill form if you take it right it will work. I take mind every night before bed so I don't forget it likes a routine now. hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#332618 - 07/17/08 03:26 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've seen a few on this board mention that BCP seemed to help their symptoms. Back when I was on the pill it seemed to make me feel worse, but that was 15-20 years ago.

Now with this most recent flareup (5 months and counting of almost constant abdominal cramping and nausea) I'm wondering if my problems may be hormonal. I'm 43 and over the last year my periods have become extremely light but last a few days longer, and I'm not as regular. But could it really mess up my gut this bad?

I have my annual scheduled for next month, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long to bring this up with my doc if there is any way I could get some relief now. But I'm also loathe to go on hormones. Any advice?

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#332642 - 07/17/08 09:55 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Why are you not consistent? Is it just a matter of remembering to take it? Set an alarm or something on your watch or phone to help you remember. I would also recommend getting on a pill that you can take every day (without taking a week off for a period). That way you don't get the ups and downs from hormone withdrawal. That alone eliminated my monthly IBS flare-ups as well as all those unwelcome menstrual side effects.

Do you ever plan to try to get pregnant? If so, I would not recommend DP. From what I have read, that will make it a lot harder for you. One of my coworkers used DP, and after she went off of it, it took her several years to get pregnant because of its effects.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#332740 - 07/18/08 08:33 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I can't take the pill because of too many side effects which trigger migraines, so my alternative was the Mirena iud which has a slow release of progesterone over 5 years. If you plan to get pg most women who have used it are successful within a year after it is removed. It's pricey at $350 CAD, but you have little to no periods and I really like it. I'm on my second one - so 6 years now - without any complications, side effects etc. I might get mild cramps once every 6 months and some spotting but that's pretty much it!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#333040 - 07/22/08 07:33 PM
MagzieM

Reged: 07/22/08
Loc: NC

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the NuvaRing. I love it because you only worry about it twice a month. I do the same as a previous poster and put the two reminders in my cell phone. (makes for a good excuse to step away for a minute too 'woops, better check my voicemail!') As far as if your significant other notices it, he probably won't or at least won't be bothered by it. I was successful getting pregnant after it as well (first month off the ring we conceived). I'm back on it now and happy as can be.

#333045 - 07/22/08 08:02 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Ive really been considering the Nuvaring. Do you have any side effects? Normal pill form birth control with a lot of estrogen in it makes me nauseated and the really low dose pill caused spotting. So I kinda felt stuck. This is kinda personal but has it ever come out accidentally?? Sorry for the personal question. Thanks for your help!!

Stef

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review