All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Im learning more and more that IBS is just
      #332340 - 07/12/08 03:58 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

a blanket term for food intolerances/allergies. IBS "triggers" are actually foods that your body reacts to adversely - thats all.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Im learning more and more that IBS is just new
      #332343 - 07/12/08 07:18 PM
robbiej

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

I DO NOT agree. I've had IBS for 25 year. Yes, 25 YEARS.
I've had 4 intestinal operations, and a host of lovely complications. Believe me...If I could avoid eating a particular trigger/allergy food(s) and never have another attack, I would. SIGN ME UP!!!! If only.... I know that when I follow the EFI diet I am least likely to have an attack, however, I'm never cured & I'm always stressed IBS will ruin my day, work, trip, party, etc.

What I do agree with is that IBS is term given to those of us who digestive issues that don't fall into a neat little package w/a particular name, so our symptoms are all different and tolerances are also very different ( which may mimic an "allergy" type situation.)

One of the most interesting ideas that always sticks in my head when I'm sick or worried about becoming sick, is that sometimes ( especially those of us IBS-Lifers ) an attack may have NOTHING to do w/food at all. It has to do w/the "Brain-Gut Function" that is not working correctly. I try to remember this when I am beating myself up w/ guilt re: What did I eat to deserve this?

Robbie

#332348 - 07/12/08 11:14 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

why did u have 4 intestinal operations? have you tried cutting gluten out of your diet?

#332350 - 07/13/08 05:10 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

It definitely is, and has been scientifically proven to be, a brain/gut function! I have lived with food allergies AND IBS since I was 12... good years/bad years...Know right where you are!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332356 - 07/13/08 08:13 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Very well said, Robbie...

I do agree that many people with IBS suffer from food allergies as well--our systems are very sensitive. But IBS is not the same thing as food allergies.

I am lactose intolerant, so I do not eat dairy, and I have tried cutting gluten completely out of my diet...I now find that although I can't eat wheat, other grains that contain some gluten (like oats) are ok for me. The symptoms lessen when I don't eat the particular foods my body does not tolerate (tomatoes are another one), but because of the mind/body connection, and because IBS really isn't just a food allergy, I still get symptoms.

--------------------
Julia

#332369 - 07/13/08 12:40 PM
robbiej

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

The first operation was when I was 3 days old for a blockage in my small intestine. The next surgery was for a blockage (age 18.) Then two more (Blockage and then a Re-section) at age 29. Oh...forgot about the gallbladder being taken out at 34! Oh..an an ovary and fallopian tube taken out at 31 due to endometriosis. My blocks were not due to constipation, but due to scar tissue. My theory is that all of these surgeries (especially at 3 days old) screwed up my intestinal tract. Almost like, my intestines never learned how to work properly??? Although they were mechanically "fixed" it seemed that the "muscle memory" was stalled/ruined. It's just my theory...for me. Hard to say which came first: the IBS or the Mechanical Issues.

I have cut out everything over the years (I was diagnosed at 13 and am now 38) and have found that sticking to a EFI diet works...usually. I have more of an aversion to "greasy, cheesie, dairy, meat, caffeine, bran" type foods. I have had weeks and months of being what I would consider normal. But never what others would consider "normal." It's a bummer, but really all I have known for ever.

I hope you can find your answers and feel better!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2788 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1613

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review