All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice, please....
      #332327 - 07/12/08 11:30 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

OK, having had this "crap" LOL for years, you'd think I'd know something. Then, along comes a new symptom... I had dental surgery from H!!!, with some sutures, some open places in my gums so, for the past week my diet has mainly been liquid - can't run the risk of anything disturbing the sockets since I had a problem with bleeding. So, I've done OK?? with Slim Fast (Lactose & Gluten Free), drinkable yogurt, yogurt whips and I've even learned if you soak a piece of bagel in applesauce long enough it will get soft enough to dissolve in your mouth! LOL... So, today, feeling a little weak, I thought I needed some protein...I mixed mashed potatoes with a little FF, low sodium chicken broth and some Lactaid cottage cheese in a blender and made potato soup - delish! Within 5 mins. of hitting my "gut" the bloating, pressure in my chest/colon/between "the girls" began, along with ears ringing, heart pounding and resulting in a run to the BR... This lasted about an hour...Little better now, but still pressure under "the girls" (or as my dr. says - the transverse colon area)....
What was it???? The Lactaid cottage cheese???? I'm so tired of worrying about every bite I put in my mouth... Even watered down light fruit juice causes thrush - too much sugar.. Sorry, I'm so long winded, but I can't tell a story in 500 words of less!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice, please.... new
      #332358 - 07/13/08 09:30 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I am so sorry you're struggling...

It could have been the Lactaid cottage cheese...I'm severely lactose intolerant, but I think I also may be sensitive to other things in dairy (casein, namely), because even Lactaid products cause me problems.

If you are in need of some protein, but you can only really handle liquids right now, I recommend some rice protein powder (or soy, if you can handle it) blended into a smoothie. If you want some extra calories to give you more energy and sustain you, you could try mixing it in with your Slim Fast shakes or drinkable yogurt, since you know these work well for you. I used to do Ensure or Boost smoothies with flax, protein powder and banana, because they were super easy for me to digest, and they gave me the protein, calories and fat my body needed when I could not stomach solid food.

Good luck!

--------------------
Julia

#332389 - 07/13/08 10:38 PM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

You might already know the reaction may have been due to the fact you have not had much real food for a while and your body had to get used to it. i know that if I don't eat for a while (even a half day) my gut freaks out. To make it short I think it may be the fact you introduced complex nonorganic foods as your first foods back - I recommend trying some small amounts of plain rice, fresh bread or saltines, then an hour later a little more and do that for a day (I know it not much) then the next day add a little apple sauce and other simple (for your gut to break down) soluble foods - very little and often. Hope this helps... I'll say a prayer for your recovery and wisdom...God bless

#332391 - 07/14/08 03:47 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Thank you so much for the sound, practical advice. I'll try it! Blessings! ~ Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2717 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review