All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Angel food cake?
      #331921 - 07/02/08 11:22 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I was under the impression that angel food cake was "safe", so I had a small slice today (while everyone else was chowing down on yummy cheesecakes and coffee cakes). Well, it has thrown me for a loop! No D, but really bad stomach cramps and nausea. It's the only thing I've eaten that's different.

I checked the ingredient list (it was store-bought) and there was nothing weird - basically just egg whites, flour, sugar and flavoring. What gives?

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Angel food cake? new
      #331924 - 07/02/08 12:22 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

If it was store bought, the flavouring might have dairy in it.I love angel food cake and can eat the whole thing if left unattended but try baking one from scratch and try that.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331925 - 07/02/08 12:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Angel food cake is safe - I make angel food cake frequently and it gives me no problems. However, I have noticed that prepared foods that use artificial flavoring give me problems while foods with natural flavors don't.

How do you know it was the angel food cake that gave you problems and not something else you ate?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#331926 - 07/02/08 12:32 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Flavourings don't contain dairy and if they did they would have to be listed in the ingredients list.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#331927 - 07/02/08 12:33 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

While I cannot explain why the angel food cake bothered you, I can say that the only time I had it- it bothered me as well. My mom made it for my birthday because it is supposed to be safe. The next morning I woke up with nausea. I know it is supposed to be safe for IBS- so I think maybe I have an unrelated sensitivity to sugar. Not sure...

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#331932 - 07/02/08 01:18 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Angel food cake never bothered me. Maybe something else? I wouldn't scratch it off your list....try again at home.

Sorry it hit you bad though.
Sandy

Re: Angel food cake?Dairy in flavouring new
      #331936 - 07/02/08 02:29 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Are you sure?My sister inlaw was told by her doc not to have anything prepared from the store that contained flavouring because while she was nursing she was banned from dairy.Her baby was HIGHLY sensitive to dairy and was very ill until she cut out dairy.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331938 - 07/02/08 03:39 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Since I didn't eat anything else, I'm pretty sure that was it. I suspect it may be artificial flavoring. Most of the snacks I've been eating lately have been organic or at least all natural. Thanks for your input.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Edited by vettech (07/02/08 03:39 PM)

Re: Angel food cake?Dairy in flavouring new
      #331939 - 07/02/08 05:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes anything can be in flavorings be they natural or artificial. Sometimes a product will say it does or may contain dairy and has none in the ingredients list but does have 'flavors' and so they can contain dairy.

However about the angel food cake, anything artificial or containing too much sugar could be a problem for some. I have noticed my body doesn't like those things. Not that it has to be IBS per se, but it could be upsetting to some.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2586 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8539

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review