All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
High Fiber Diet
      #331639 - 06/26/08 10:11 PM

Unregistered

My gastrologist put me on a high fiber diet, after having a colonostopy last week, and finding I have diverticulous, and of course IBS D which I have had for years.
I know there ae many foods on the diet I can not handle. I eat hardly any fresh fruits and beggies, as I just can not tolerate them with my tummy.
Can someone let me know if you are on a high fiber diet, and what am I to do I imagine start the elimation game.
I am sotired of being so weary and tired of this. I want it to get better
thanks so much
It usd to be fun to eat, and now I just dreadd it. anyone else feelthis way

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: High Fiber Diet new
      #331640 - 06/27/08 04:01 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

See this page on diverticulosis. I have these as well, and struggle with the same things you do.

My understanding is that you want food to move rapidly through your colon, because if it sits there it can get caught in the "pockets" and lead to diverticulitis.

Some doctors recommend staying away from nuts, seeds, popcorn, etc. - anything that can easily get caught and lead to infection.

What about higher fiber, but easier to digest foods, such as buckwheat and barley?

--------------------
IBS-C

#331642 - 06/27/08 05:23 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Welcome Dee. As a long time IBS D person I shuttered when I read your post. I don't have the added problem of diverticulitis and so I can't really relate but surely the GI (although maybe not) knows how bad the high fiber is for an IBS sufferer. My only recommendation is for you to try to balance the SF and IF and stay away from trigger foods. For me even oatmeal is a trigger so high fiber is out. I eat rice, potato or bread before every meal to cushion other foods. I have now determined how to keep from getting D for the most part. I would think that with a little adjustment of the SF and IF you could reach that point where your system works quickly enough for the diverticulitis but doesn't cause you the cramping and the D that goes with an IBS attack!! Good luck to you and keep us posted.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#331653 - 06/27/08 09:52 AM

Unregistered

Thanks so much and thanks for the site for diverticulous. Thee was lots of info on that.
I am going to see abut getting buckwheat and barley. I wonder if there is bread out there with those gains in it.
I think you are right about getting the food to go through the body faster so it does not get caught in those pockets.
a prlblem for sure Nuts, popcorn, seeds, those kinds of things ae no no for sure. They make me real sick
also sometimes peanut butter, and eeryone says peanut buter is so good for you
what is a body to do
thanks so much and will keep you posted

#331654 - 06/27/08 09:57 AM

Unregistered

Barbara, thanks so much for the welcome and for the encouragement
I know in my own mind there are not los of high fiber foods I can deal with
I do try my best to eat soluble fiber first when I go to eat, banana, baken potato, bread, rice, something so it coats the stomach not giving me any problems. I have rad so much and educated myself so much I almost think I know what to do
I ust have some problems with other people thinking they know more than I do and it frustrates me as I know what I am daling with
When I told my sister abut the results, etc. of my colonostopy, high fiber diet, questan, etc. she said so are you going to pursue it. she is my youngest siste and always tris to tell me I am not eating enough, etc. I know my body. this frustrates me a lot
thanks so much

#331760 - 06/30/08 05:32 AM
Barbara50

Hang in there and remember that only you know your body. I have settled into a full routine that is keeping me stable for the moment. The temptation to eat outside my diet is there but I resist because an attack is just not worth it. The bread, potato and rice with chicken gets old sometimes but I am learning to change it up a bit so it isn't so boring.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#331762 - 06/30/08 06:21 AM

Unregistered

You are soright. We know our body and know what we can and what we cannot eat.
When I went to the fneral yesteday, I ate a slice of bread and deli turkey and a piece of angel food cake. I knew I would be safe with that. Thee wee all kind of salads thee, and potato chips, but I know my trigges and once you have been hit with the trigger foods and gotten so sick, you neve want that to happen again
We went out to a restaurant lst evening with my brother, my sister, and my dad. I had bakd potato and grilled chicken breast sandwich, and did fine
I am not getting the beggies I need but so many of them do not agree with me.
I will cntinue eating this way, eating mainly soluble fibers, as I have larned so much from this site,andhow important soluble fiber is vs insoluble fiber.
Is that how you are eating also. Souns like it
thanks so much for the support.
DeeDee

#331769 - 06/30/08 08:02 AM
Barbara50

You got it. I eat only the allowed foods and for the most part I am having no problems. I ate out on Saturday with my husband and I order grilled chicken breast, rice and sliced avocado. Weird meal but good and good for me. Keep it up and you will be happy.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1019 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review