All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help, I am so constipated...
      #331470 - 06/23/08 06:53 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I don't know what to do, I am completely at my wit's end.

I go to the bathroom every day, but it's always incomplete. Thus, I am SUPER bloated every day. I'm not usually gassy, just have a very distended abdomen.

I've been following the diet, taking a fiber supplement, probiotics, and peppermint tea, but I'm just finding myself more and more and more bloated with no relief. I've put on a bunch of weight since I started following the diet hardcore (this may be due partially to a poop backup).

Today I went on a binge and ate a bunch of high IF foods, because I'm just so desperate for a good BM. I'm still super bloated, but unfortunately still don't feel anything moving.

My GI doc said to eat a high fiber diet (Fiber One cereal, salads, etc.). My colo-rectal doctor suggested trying a low-residue diet.

What do I do when neither one works for me??????? I'm literally bloated every single day - I'm honestly at the point where I've contemplated suicide more than once, because I just can't keep living like this...

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help, I am so constipated... new
      #331472 - 06/23/08 07:59 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Im so sorry you feel so bad but dont give up yet. I know how you feel tho, how its not worth living in so much pain. I felt like that um like 2 days ago but im better now. I really want to say that anyone on this board who has not tried alternative medicine for ibs like acupuncture and personalized herbal teas, you really really should try it. It works so well for constipation and diahrrea i promise. It has been helping me so much and I just want everyone to try it. I just started like 6 months ago, and they say it takes half the time it took for you to get in to your problem. So if you had ibs for 10 years, you may need 5 years of acupuncture to actually get it back in to balance. I notice after about the 4th day of receiving acupuncture my body wants to go back to how it was . They say 2x a week is what you should do. And the herbal formula they made me last week is so wonderful. You wouldnt be able to find a drug that works better or faster than this (althought it tastes so awful) but ill take it. Just wanted to share and inspire you all to go because when im feeling bad i look forward to going to acupuncture becasue i KNOW it will make me feel a million times better. I hope your stomach feels better soon , hang in there.

#331476 - 06/23/08 09:15 PM
goodcop1

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: Hilton Head South Carolina

Hi Fen,
I and many others went thru this. Try using the yoga techniques that heather recommends. Lay flat on the floor when doing them and remember to breathe thru your nose into your belly. Also try kneeling with back straight. It's like when we were kids and saying the night prayers. This may help rid you of some of the gas. Whatever you do stay away from the heavy foods. The BM will come and you will feel so much better soon.

--------------------
"Thru Him with Him and in Him".

I really think my BCP's are to blame... new
      #331481 - 06/24/08 04:00 AM
Fen

I really think taking the birth control pill is to blame for my IBS. Shortly after I started taking it (at 17, for non-stop bleeding), I became IBS-D. I was a D for a few years, and then maybe 2 or 3 years ago became a C (I'm 26 now).

I started taking the pill continuously in January because of my Endometriosis, and my problems have worsened considerably since then. I started putting on weight after that too.

My doctor has said that Progestin slows down motility (causing constipation) but also told me that under no circumstances should I even allow myself a period because of the Endo.

My thought at this point is that I'd rather have to have a lap every couple of years to remove the Endo and be in pain for a week or two than to be absolutely downright completely miserable every single day.

I know this topic has come up in the past on this board, but I don't really see much consensus. Has anyone ever experienced any improvement after stopping the pill??

--------------------
IBS-C

#331508 - 06/24/08 11:51 AM
clydi

Reged: 06/24/08

I have been more constipated after taking the acacia soluable fiber. I stopped taking it and took some over the counter Correctol. I feel much better!! I also take stool softeners and it helps a lot as well. Hope you feel better soon.

#331526 - 06/24/08 02:25 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Oh Fen!!!!I hope you aren't serious about suicide!
That is the worst thing ever!
I know at times it really sucks and you don't feel like it will ever end but you just haven't found the exact things to work for your body.
When my daughter is constipated(like always!) I give her prune juice.Just a bit everyday in her juice and it really works! I don't know if this is IBS safe but if you are having trouble and need to go...natural is always better than drugs.
Keep your chin up and try to relax.It can be very depressing to have to deal with this but being alive is so much better than the alternative.

Please take care and take it easy.
I'm thinking of you.
dragonfly

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331541 - 06/24/08 05:31 PM
Fen

Dragonfly, thanks for the kind post - I guess I was a little overly emotional yesterday. The thought has occurred to me, but it's not like I'd ever act on it.

It's just so frustrating. I used to be a D which was awful, don't get me wrong. There's a whole different set of problems that come with being a D. But at this point, I'd give my left arm to be a D instead of a C.

I really think constipation leads to depression. I mean, think of the toxins, just sitting in your colon, fermenting!

--------------------
IBS-C

#331550 - 06/24/08 09:52 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Fen, I hope you're feeling better today! I wish I could help you somehow but all I can offer is empathy. My GI also recommended a lot-residue diet at one point. I feel though that there is always a trade-off. With that kind of diet I do have less pain and attacks but I am more constipated. The bloating is pretty much persistent, no matter what.
Right now I'm on my quest of finding the right ratio of SF/IF so that my system won't be triggered yet I will have a BM.
Good luck :-).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#331555 - 06/25/08 07:38 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm sorry you're going through this. Honestly, I DO know how you feel! I know how frustrating it can be.

What saved me from constipation was Natural Calm. Please do a board search and you will see lots of people raving about it! I buy it at Whole Foods, but you can also order it online. I STILL take it every night (it's a powder you mix with hot water) to keep me regular. Try it!! It works!!

Good luck to you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2605 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review