All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antibiotic help
      #331009 - 06/12/08 07:46 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

Any suggestions for help with Antibiotic distress. I have a UTI and started Cipro. My stomach feels like a monster is in there. I am going to Mexico next Wednesday, but have to be on antibiotic for 10 days. Had peppermint tea and toast this morning, but the monster is not going away. I feel and look 2 months pregant. Peppermint tea is okay, but the Peppermint caps seem to give me heartburn. The antibiotic make me feel queasy too.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You need probiotics!!! new
      #331012 - 06/12/08 08:15 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I remember taking a course of antibiotics while I was trying to stabilize because I got a cat bite at the shelter I volunteer at. I started taking a soy yogurt probiotic called "Bio-K" (do a board search, LOTS of info will come up) and it worked WONDERS. When I started the antibiotic I had horrible stomach aches and BAD diarrhea. But the Bio-K really balanced everything out and I felt great immediately!! Do you have a health food store near you? I know you can purchase it at Whole Foods, but you might have to make some calls to see if a health food store near you carries it. It is pricey, but you start out with a small amount (1/4 of a bottle twice a day) and gradually increase it. Remember to leave a few hours between taking the probiotic and your antibiotic!!

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: You need probiotics!!! new
      #331020 - 06/12/08 09:54 AM
whoopiecushion

Thanks for the info. We don't have whole foods where I live. The only health food stores I know are GNC. I don't think they carry cold food items. I will check the phone book to look for some possible stores. I am having really bad stomach pains all day. I even grabbed the peppermint caps out even though they cause heartburn, but I am desperate.

#331024 - 06/12/08 10:08 AM
whoopiecushion

I found a health food store and I am on my way to go get some vegan probiotics. They don't have soy yogurt, but the lady told me this would be stronger and better than just the dairy free yogurt with probiotic. Thanks.

#331032 - 06/12/08 12:52 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Great! Let us know how they work for you. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1822

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review