All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SIBO
      #330893 - 06/10/08 02:35 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I was diagnosed with SIBO and treated with antibiotics.. however it didn't do anything for me... are there any other options other than only eating the extremely limited diet? would taking a lot of probiotics help?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SIBO new
      #330895 - 06/10/08 03:48 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Have you ever considered/tried Dr. Pimentel's diet? His approach is actually based on the assumption that IBS is caused by bacteria overgrowth. After you finished the antibiotic treatment, did they test you again to make sure the bacteria was eradicated?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#330922 - 06/11/08 05:42 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

no.. i've never heard of him
and no they did not retest me... i still feel the same

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#330941 - 06/11/08 09:30 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Then I would recommend you read his book - A New IBS Solution by Mark Pimentel. He pretty much believes that all IBS is caused by bacteria. I don't know about that but since you tested positive for SIBO it may work for you. I think the basis of the diet is actually very similar to the EFI diet by Heather. For example, he recommends eating white carbs because they're low-residue and thus bacteria can't feed on them, while Heather recommends them because they contain a lot of SF. Both suggest you cut out dairy, Pimentel recommends Lactaid but I think you can drink unsweetened almond milk instead. There are some differences (Pimentel is OK with eggs, Heather is OK with white sugar) but you can tweak them to fit you diet (just because he allows eggs doesn't mean you have to eat them).
I would google him, he has a website but I don't want to post links here since this is Heather's site.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1708 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review