All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pain on my right side, IBS related?
      #330707 - 06/06/08 03:35 PM
dgcap

Reged: 06/06/08

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I've had IBS for quite some time now maybe a couple of years without even knowing. I dismissed the cramping and trips to the washroom by thinking I was having diarrhea because I was eating to fast , too much or because I was eating oily and greasy foods.
This is where it got out of hand, 2 months ago I developed a severe pain on my right side just above the belt line on the right of the bellybutton. It is a stabbing like burning unbearable pain that has diminished in these 2 months but is still there. I have to mention that the night before I went out and drank quite a few beers (5-6) which isin't uncommon for me to do from time to time but it seems like this was somewhat of a trigger which made things worst.
The pain eventually made me decide to seek medical help. I went to my clinic and the doctor suggested i'd take an ultra sound, turned out there was nothing. I then went to the ER and they said it was probably stones that were slowly going away ( the only test they did was a blood test which was normal ). Afterwards, I got an appointment with a gastro and he sent me for a UGI and everything turned out to be normal. I then did 3 types of stool culture tests 1 - stool culture 2 - C Diff 3 - Parasites, once again, everything is normal. Finally, yesterday I had a colonoscopy done and everything was also normal. I still have pain on my right side and I've seen numerous doctors throughout these 2 months and non of them know what it is. Can this be related to IBS? These have been the worst 2 months of my life. IBS is already difficult to deal with and this pain on my right being undiagnosed is not helping physically and mentally. I also have to mention that the pain amplifies especially after I go to the washroom . I could describe it as a "bruise" like pain. Has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks in advance.

Edited by dgcap (06/06/08 03:48 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pain on my right side, IBS related? new
      #330739 - 06/07/08 08:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the forum

Your description of pain in the right hand side is similar to mine and my GI doc put me through the same tests with the same findings.

Three things helped me reduce but not eliminate the pain. (a) I removed all food with more IF than SF. I peel and cook all vegetables. (b) I eat a very low fat diet usually only foods with less than 10% fat by weight. (c) I eliminated all high fructose foods such as honey, HFCS and particularly fruits such as apples, pears, melons, grapes, etc. See this message and this message for more about fructose malabsorption.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Syl how did you figure out you have fructose malabsorption? - nt new
      #330756 - 06/07/08 04:18 PM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

#330762 - 06/07/08 07:08 PM
dgcap

Reged: 06/06/08

Thanks for the suggestions, The doctor that did my colonoscopy suggested i'd get metamucil and prescribed imodium for diarrhea. At this point I am willing to try anything to get better. Also, is it necessary to do an Endoscopy and Gastroscopy for IBS, what would these rule out?

#330768 - 06/08/08 06:26 AM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

the Upper GI tests rules out inflammation in your esophagus, stomach, top portion of small intestine. They look for ulcers, hernias and take biopsies to test for celiac disease.
The first GI guy I went to said I had GERD, before he did any tests and was ready to put me on Nexium. I refused taking the Nexium until after the upper GI was done. He found I had lots of inflammation and ulcers in my esophagus. Then I was okay with taking the Nexium. It helps me tremendously in that respect.

But I think the big test I would want to rule out, is celiac disease. That's why I would recommend you getting the upper GI exams done.
Keep us posted on your progress. oh by the way, I've found Heather's acacia is kinder on my system then the Metamucil. something to think about.
--Val

Re: Syl how did you figure out you have fructose malabsorption? - nt new
      #330778 - 06/08/08 10:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is a fructose malabsorption breath test however, it is not available were I live. In addition it only tells you if you cannot handle a 25 gram load of fructose but it does not tell how much less than 25 grams you can handle. Normally most people can handle more than 50 grams.

I used a dietary exclusion method. I removed all foods that contained more fructose than glucose from my diet. I used table in Figure 2 of this article as a guideline for which foods to remove from my diet. Using this method it was quite easy to figure out which foods I could not handle.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2656 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review