All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
flax seed
      #330309 - 05/28/08 01:23 PM
snuffie

Reged: 08/01/04

A dietician recommended that I use ground flax seed to help with my cholesterol. Is it safe for IBS if I raise the amount gradually?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: flax seed new
      #330335 - 05/29/08 06:00 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Snuffie,

I use a tablespoon of ground flax seed in my oatmeal in the AM and then put another tablespoon in applesauce later in the day. Ground flax is both a soluable/insoluable fiber and okay for IBS. You get the most benefit from the seeds if you buy the flaxseed whole and then grind in a coffee grinder. Use the ground seeds right away as all nutritional benefits are lost if you grind them and store in otder to use later. So if you buy already ground flax you will not get nearly the benefits as you do with grinding them yourself. Also baking with flax seed gives no nutritional benefit as the nutrients are lost in the baking process.

Sharon

#330338 - 05/29/08 09:24 AM
snuffie

Reged: 08/01/04

Thanx Sharon. I will try it. I assume that I need to build up the amount gradually? How slowly do I need to go?

#330348 - 05/29/08 01:06 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I use it as well but in much smaller doses. Even ground my system responds to it very quickly - my kids too. I never use more than a teaspoon a day for any of us - when I have, in the past, I get a runny stool.

#330358 - 05/29/08 03:59 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Snuffie, I started at 1 tablespoon in AM and PM right away and had no problem. YOu could always start at a lesser amount and see how comfortable you are and then use more as time goes on....If you goggle flaxseed you'll find tons of information on how good it is for you and there might be some suggestions as how much to take. I do remember reading some place that 3 tablespoons per day should be the maximum a person takes.
Sharon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review