All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fat content
      #330279 - 05/27/08 07:01 PM
ibsnewbie

Reged: 05/23/08

Hi, you talk a lot about how high fat foods as a trigger for IBS and such, what would the percentage be of a high fat food to avoid?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fat content new
      #330282 - 05/28/08 01:18 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I think we are supposed to avoid any more than 25% fat. However, I try not to even get up there during most meals.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Re: Fat content new
      #330290 - 05/28/08 07:45 AM
als2111

Reged: 03/30/08

what is the best way to calculate the fat in meals or per day. I have not been able to understand how to do that, I just always make sure everything I have is fat free or very low fat and eat according to some things serving sizes. what is considered to high of fat per serving??

Re: Fat content and math new
      #330327 - 05/28/08 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

First of all don't eat fat free. Everyone needs some fat, especially C people. The amount of fat is per meal or what is in your stomach at one time. If you ate a half an hour ago that probably is still in the gut and would count too.

So try to get no more than 1/3 calories from fat. After a while your brain just kind of knows how much fat is in something. You can look at nutrition labels and gauge how much fat percentage something will be. A lot of times it has the percentage on things. Read these and pay attention to the numbers and you will learn.
To figure out percentage you multiply the total fat by 9 to get the calories in it. 10 grams of fat is 90 fat calories. Then you divide that number into the total calories. 180 calories would be 50% fat. 360 calories would be 25% fat. So a good meal would be 360 cals and 10 fat grams or maybe 500 calories and 15 grams of fat. I can handle a snack of 4 grams fat and 120 calories or sometimes a little more.
For whole meals try to have your carb and veggies very low in fat if your meat is higher- like salmon or a greasier poultry dish. If you are having shrimp or chicken breast which is nearly FF you can have fattier sauce with that or have fat on your sides. Try to increase your fat slowly til you can gauge what is right for you. Sometimes I screw up and accidentally eat too much fat in a meal by putting two things together that I can handle alone with low fat sides.
It takes practice but this is a start.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2055 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 838

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review