All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help; Question for Katgirl/Heather
      #33005 - 12/21/03 12:04 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

What type of test did will confirm gluten intolerance? (I'm from the UK). My GP tested me for celiac (I suspected grains were a problem and have Irish grandparents) but it was negative. My classical allergy tests were also negative for any foods. My GP says any other intolerance tests are unreliable. I know the York Nutritional Lab do IgG intolerance testing, but it's expensive and I'm unsure how useful it is.

Is it possible the celiac test my GP arranged was wrong? If so, how do I suggest this to my GP?!?

I've recently started the IBS diet but white bread and oats just don't seem to be agreeing with me, whereas I seem to be able to eat rice (even brown rice) all day long without problems.

Finally...does IBS cause pale skin, dark circles under the eyes and hair loss, which I've had since teenage years??? Tests on hormones and thyroid were also clear. In fact, every test I've ever had for anything has been clear!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help; Question for Katgirl/Heather new
      #33055 - 12/22/03 07:10 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Reading your post strikes a familiar note:
Firstly on your symptoms: up until recently i was experiencing quite a lot of hair loss and ive always had quite pale skin and i cant seem to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes (tho dont think uni lifestyle has really helped!) my acupunctuirst told me that the reason for this is cus my immune system is very low and in general my body is 'weak'.

like you, ive had every test done this year that can possibly be done (i think?!) thyroid, hormones etc all came back normal - and tho i was low on certain tests, i didnt fall into the dangerously low category for the gp to get worried.

when i started the IBS diet my symptoms got worse - i totally resorted to a diet based on soluble fibre - mostly white bread and pasta....finding out a month or so later that i was wheat intolerant obviously explained a lot - for me the IBS diet was the worst thing i could have followed - im sure its great for some people, but obviously if you have an undiagnosed wheat intolerance then its gonna screw up your system even more! by the sound of it, if white bread and oats aren't agreeing with you, then i would put my money on the fact you may be wheat/gluten intolerant, tho obviously that's not for me to say...

im not sure if tests can come back wrong for celiac...they can for other things so possibly? Most gps find other food tests unreliable..i was told by my gp back home not to waste time having food testing done...i listened to him and then spent the next two months not being able to get my symptoms under control...i then had food testing done and alto im still far from feeling great, my symptoms have much improved...the one thing i have noticed is levels of fatigue....i dont know if this is one of your symptoms, but for me, some days i could hardly get out of bed...since cutting out wheat, i feel i have much more energy.

I did the york tests - yes they are expensive but for me, they've been the best christmas present ive ever had...this has been the worst year by far for me in terms of my health and for £250 i dont think its a waste of money...if it makes me feel better and it has done already, then i see it as an investment. i dont think you can get food testing done on the nhs or free from gps?

sorry for such a long post, i hope that despite of my ramblings, its been of some help

#33056 - 12/22/03 07:12 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

sorry, just one mroe thing i forgot to mention...you aks what tests will confirm gluten intolerance...the test i did (113 foods) does NOT diagnose celiac, there is a seperate test they do for that i think...check out the website www.yorktest.com

#33358 - 12/23/03 07:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The simplest way to find out about your intolerances is to cut out a food (has to be for about a month), see what happens, then reintroduce it and see what happens. If there's no change, then you're not intolerant! You have to be REALLY careful, cos if you have even a tiny bit of whatever it is you're testing, then start the month again! Also, if you cut out more than one thing, only reintroduce them one at a time, with a good gap between each.

Can you have white rice? You only mentioned brown.

Btw, have you been checked for anaemia?

The "alternative" allergy tests are a bit dubious, but the one I had years ago was definitely spot-on, so who knows?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2504 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 691

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review