All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a gastrocolic reflex trigger food question.
      #329403 - 05/06/08 04:49 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

What is the culprit, what you have eaten in the past or what you are presently eating? I ate out one night...bbq chicken, baked tato, salad w/bottled dressing, pc of pound cake. I was fine. Normal bm in the morning after eating efi foods, lunch..fine, at dinner I ate my own marinara sauce on pasta with a little sourdough bread. I felt fine but an 1-1/2 later the cramps were soo bad. I was going a normal bm but with pain and rumbling and then the D started. A 20min. later- again. The trigger foods were the bbq foods and things, not my pasta and a little bread. Luckily I was home because my bowel control has been awful....and I am still young at 48. What do you think? This sometimes happens once a week or less. I guess I have a mild IBS but I find this strange.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a gastrocolic reflex trigger food question. new
      #329407 - 05/06/08 06:59 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I do not eat out at all. I realize that is a real pain, but everytime I do I have problems within the next 48 hours. As for your question -- hard to say--bbq sauce may be culprit, salad dressing or the salad itself - lots of preservatives and the salad is mostly IF. Was the potato naked or did it have something on it??? I don't tolerate lots of marinara sauce well--I really have to limit my tomato intake because of acid I guess. I was having same schedule as you--one incident or so a week until I just stopped eating what I did not prepare or buy at whole foods (ie, bread, cookies, chips). It has been over a month since I had an episode. Also it is very important to get enough water (8 glasses a day) and get the fiber (I take 1 tsp. acacia in hot tea both AM and PM).

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#329469 - 05/07/08 06:28 AM
Joannelcoq

potato was naked.I just hate the inconsistency. I was able to eat all that for a while with no reaction. I really cant pinpoint the food that is bothering me. Even when I was completely on the IBS diet I would get a bout of D after eating dinner(sometimes not right away) I sleep thru the night and the next day I am fine..eating breakfast, lunch and then after dinner I get it sometimes (not always) Once a week.. every other week...3 days in a row....3 months feeling great. What gives??

#329520 - 05/08/08 05:49 AM
Barbara50

Haven't a clue. I still have unexpected D on occasion but I can always pinpoint why. Sometimes if I get my SF too high and my IF too low during a meal or even during a day it will creat D. The gastrocolic reflex trigger food however is a different issue. If I get dairy or fat or (for me) soy I can expect strong cramps, sweats and explosive D within two hours. It literally happens everytime. Most restaurants (the ones I can afford to eat at) simply don't prepare meals to order so I quit eating out period. I also started buying organic and keeping HFCS out of my diet and also getting rid of preservatives. That has helped with the gas and bloating, which, if they build up enough will change the motility of the bowel and result in D. Good luck to you in solving your problem.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: a gastrocolic reflex trigger food question. anymore advice? new
      #329565 - 05/09/08 08:47 AM
Joannelcoq

Thanks. Your bowel issues sound very much like mine...but I cant pinpoint it. My Dr. keeps telling me it can be the slightest food allergy too. Maybe the sulfites in food can do it.

Edited by Joannelcoq (05/09/08 08:47 AM)

Re: a gastrocolic reflex trigger food question. anymore advice? new
      #329586 - 05/09/08 02:41 PM
Barbara50

Yes, my gastro guy says he believes I am allergic to soy and dairy because of my reactions to them. That doesn't really explain the fat though. I mean I can eat a piece of red meat or an egg yolk and bam I am in the bathroom in an hour or so and can't get out. I got real relief when I dropped all of the triggers I could identify and also followed the EFI diet, especially eating the SF first, like bread, potato or rice, before I eat the rest of a meal, eat small meals, try not to get too hungry, etc. Keep trying. You will figure it out.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: a gastrocolic reflex anymore advice? take Hyoscyamine? new
      #329694 - 05/13/08 06:15 AM
Joannelcoq

I have a supposedly mild case of IBS-D but it is ruining my life. My Dr said to take a Nulev disolvable tablet as soon as I feel an inkling of cramps of movement in my intestines. Everywhere I have read, it says to take it a 1/2 hr before meals. What has been working for everyone? It is the urgency, cramps and the bowel control that is my problem that can happen after a meal. It sometimes happens 3 hrs after a meal and sometimes 10minutes after. I cant predict. Thats why I have a hard time going out to eat. Its horrible. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

bump new
      #329781 - 05/14/08 05:02 PM
Joannelcoq

Hyoscyamine new
      #329787 - 05/14/08 09:37 PM
LogicalGator

Reged: 04/27/08
Loc: Maryland, USA

Have you tried taking it when you start to feel a problem? I just went to a new GI doctor Monday for a consultation and he prescribed me Hyoscyamine. From what he told me, it sounds like the ideal is to take it a little before a meal that might cause a problem (I asked him how long before, he said 10 minutes). He said I could alternatively take it when I feel a problem coming on.

So far I've used it on 2 occasions (twice in 2 days - not my ideal for an as-needed medicine) after I started to feel things not settling properly in my stomach. It didn't make things perfect but both times I felt a significant improvement within 5-10 minutes. Since I just got it I can't give you a lot of info; I'm still planning to do my absolute best to stay away from trigger foods, and use the medicine when that isn't good enough. I hope I'll never encounter a meal that I can't avoid and that I know will cause me problems, but I'm sure it'll happen.

Maybe you should try it both ways (for different meals which contain trigger foods): once, try it a little before the meal; another time, wait until you feel a problem coming on and then try it. See what works for you. I think the best would obviously be to totally avoid trigger foods - though from my experience being fairly new to (knowing about) IBS, they can be hard to identify.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5089 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review