All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Best strategy for morning wake up triggering?
      #329343 - 05/04/08 06:55 PM
JFinVA

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA

New to the message boards, so hello! Glad to see such a helpful community sharing the pain, and hopefully successes as well!

As I posted in another post, been working to stablize after going on 6 weeks of haywire system (IBS-D, bloating, gas). Still working on it. EFI diet seems to definitely be helping, though I think I'm still a ways from "stable".

Q: My symptoms are worst in the morning, right when I awake. Stress and fatigue instantly hits when my alarm goes off --- my gut starts to spaz. Needless to say, my commute one hour to work has been the subject of much anxiety now for me. Just curious if anyone has found good plan that works for that early morning jitters. My Levsin isn't doing the trick anymore. Acacia right away? Other things working for folks?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best strategy for morning wake up triggering? new
      #329361 - 05/05/08 08:35 AM
mgreig

Reged: 05/05/08

I have exactly the same problems, and exactly the same sensitivity in the mornings (Monday especially!). What I've found most helpful is to take some Acacia fiber right before bed (last thing ingested), then immediately upon waking up (first thing ingested). This hasn't completely resolved things for me, but I do feel better following this routine.

I'm also going to experiment with the Align probiotic, which others on the board have found helpful. Hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but once it does I'm going to suppliment my Acacia routine with that and see if it improves.

I'd recommend trying the Acacia though right away - it definitely helped me.

#329364 - 05/05/08 09:01 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

My mornings used to by my worst too. I don't know if this made a huge difference, but I take align right before I go to sleep...and when I wake up, the cramping and all isn't nearly as bad. I will warn you that adjusting to the align took time and I was SO bloated, but now that i'm used to it--it is SO worth it. I can now get up and get moving a bit better than in the past.

--------------------
IBS-A

#329365 - 05/05/08 09:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Mornings were always my worst time, too. When I first started out I would eat 1/2 cup of applesauce with 1 teaspoon of Acacia before bed (you'll have to start with less and work up to a teaspoon). In the morning, I'd have not tea (decaf for me although herbal would be even better) and another 1/2 cup of applesauce with 1 teaspoon of Acacia. Once that was down, I'd have breakfast - something very high in SF.

I have to say this becomes a pretty lengthy morning which is fine for me because I don't work but probably not as helpful for you. Try this routine on a weekend and see how it works out for you in terms of timing. If this routine doesn't work as well as you need, consider taking an Imodium and see if that calms things down enough so your commute isn't so anxiety-ridden. If things are really bad and you don't drive yourself to work, you can talk to your doctor about an anti-anxiety med (like low-dose Ativan). Quite a while ago someone posted that his doctor prescribed belladonna for him (web page - now that I reread this thread I think the whole thing is a useful overview of IBS meds). If I remember correctly, belladonna is one of the active ingredients in Levsin but perhaps a higher dose or a purer form of belladonna would help.

As I got more time on the EFI diet and taking Acacia, my gut did get into an actual routine - just like normal people. So hang in there.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329394 - 05/05/08 06:36 PM
JFinVA

I actually tried some Immodium last week, and I have to say, it worked fantastically! Actually, took 1/2 a chewable, and it worked great. I'm worried about getting "hooked" on those though, or my system somehow adjusting and forcing me into higher and higher doses. I'd love the EFI guidelines to take care of most of my needs, but maybe that's wishful thinking....

#329473 - 05/07/08 07:41 AM
JFinVA

Thanks Sand, good info. Yes, my morning routine is always rushed, increasing my stress level for the commute to come. I may try the applesauce and acacia to see how it works. I'm up at 4:30 now just to give myself extra time if needed to work through several BM's. The half tab of immodium recently has been working very well, and allowed my commutes to be less stressful, but I've noticed some cramping on occasion. Not sure if that's the immodium or just the ibs. I have some other things going on today so stayed home from work -- it's been wonderful, the extra sleep is so helpful, my system feels great right now. Too bad my life demands don't incorporate the same sked!
Really liked your sticky post about this board being for folks trying to stick to EFI --- that's me! I don't care for what others can "get away with" because I know everyone is different. Up until 2 months ago, I was getting away with "normal" foods too, though still experiencing IBS-D, and shoving it to the back of my subconscious. My system apparently has had enough of that though, and I'm determined to get it under control!

#329477 - 05/07/08 08:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I actually tried some Immodium last week, and I have to say, it worked fantastically! Actually, took 1/2 a chewable, and it worked great. I'm worried about getting "hooked" on those though, or my system somehow adjusting and forcing me into higher and higher doses.

I'm glad the Imodium is helping so much.I don't think you can get hooked on Imodium - my GI guy says it's safe to take as often as needed. As for needing higher and higher doses, that shouldn't happen if the EFI eating guidelines are working for you.

Quote:

I'd love the EFI guidelines to take care of most of my needs, but maybe that's wishful thinking....

I don't think so. As my gut calmed down I used Imodium less and less. Basically, as long as I eat on program, I don't have food-related attacks. Remember, though, if it turns out you do need half an Imodium every morning for the rest of your life, that's not such a bad thing compared to suffering an IBS attack every morning of your life. The point is to be able to live your life without IBS controlling it. With luck diet along will get you there. If not, then whatever it takes.

The lingering problem for me is that I suffered so much with IBS for so long before I found this approach that my anxiety level about my IBS was sky-high even after the diet changes and Acacia worked big-time. It's a sort of learned panic which - of course - just triggers the IBS. That's gotten a lot better over time but it's not completely gone.

It may be you won't have that problem. It sounds like your IBS is of relatively recent origin so once you stabilize on the EFI diet you may be able to say, "Okay, that's done with" and go on with your life. If IBS-induced anxiety does turn out to be a problem for you, too, I suggest you try the hypnosis program. I started it ages ago but never finished - other health issues popped up and interfered but I'm about to start it again. Alternatively, there's something called "cognitive behavioral theory". This has come up before on the Boards but I had pretty much forgotten about it until someone posted about - and I read - "Riches, Romance, and Restrooms". The author talks about cognitive behavioral therapy.

As I understand it - and I'm sure this is a gross oversimplification - hypnosis works with the subconscious. At a minimum, it seeks to relieve anxiety thereby reducing IBS symptoms indirectly. At a maximum, it seeks to directly reduce the symptoms by changing whatever is going on inside your head/gut connection.

On the other hand, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) works with the conscious. A therapist will discuss your IBS fears with you and help you decide which ones are realistic and which ones aren't. She then helps you change your thinking about the unrealistic ones so they can be discarded and teaches you coping mechanisms for the realistic ones. Symptom-wise, CBT is aimed solely at eliminating the anxiety and thereby reducing IBS symptoms indirectly; it makes no attempt to directly change the head/gut connection. However, the coping mechanisms are designed to make you comfortable in situations you may have feared or avoided due to IBS-anxiety.

Sorry, this got long. I've been turning this over in my head for the past few days and you got the overflow. I do hope some of it is helpful. Bottom line, use drugs right now - Imodium, anti-anxiety, whatever - as needed to live your life the way you want; stick with the EFI guidelines and an SFS to get stable and figure your drug use will almost certainly decrease as you stabilize; and if you need further help with the anxiety component of IBS and would prefer not to be popping Ativan for the rest of your life, try hypnosis or CBT.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329492 - 05/07/08 01:04 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

I can't take Align because it contains milk.

#329498 - 05/07/08 03:03 PM
JFinVA

Sand - thanks for the reply! Yes, you are right. There are worse things than having to take a half tab immodium, even every day, to keep it together. My IBS-D actually goes back to childhood, though for whatever reason, I'd only have 2-3 attacks per year and would move on with life. It never got in the way, so I never thought about it, and I never saw a doctor for it. Over the last few years, it really has been growing progressively worse. Finally saw a GI doc for the first time last year, and he said "you've got IBS". Finding helpforibs site last month was huge. I've been in the midst of what seems like one continuous "attack" for about the last 7 weeks. Still not quite out of it, even with 10 days of EFI under my belt. My anxiety level over the last 2 months with IBS is at an all time high. I realize now that its been high really for years - only making the problem worse. The hypnotherapy and other therapy sound very interesting. I'm really considering getting the audio hypnotherapy, because the anxiety is very troubling. Today I stayed home from work, only partly due to the IBS, but I was so relaxed and rested, my gut was so calm, it's been fantastic. But already, I can feel myself twittering about having to get back up tomorrow at 0430 and heading up the road. Hopefully I can break the cycle soon.

have you tried Caltrate? new
      #329556 - 05/09/08 01:12 AM
Claudie

Reged: 12/29/07
Loc: Australia

I take it each night, it slows me down and firms me up. Make sure it is Caltrate D - you don't need magnesium. You can take up to 3 tablets a day but start with one and work up. You are supposed to take it with food but I find it doesn't make any difference.
My mornings were just like yours but bad mornings are becoming rare now. I stick pretty close to the diet, take around 10g of acacia a day, take a probiotic, have done the hypnotherapy CD's and am continuing to improve. I've only been doing this since January. One problem I have is that once or twice a week I have very early morning meetings and just in case I take 3 immodium (there is no toilet nearby). I have taken heaps of immodium in the past and it hasn't caused me any problems. All the best.

--------------------
IBS D

Re: have you tried Caltrate? new
      #329582 - 05/09/08 02:16 PM
JFinVA

Thanks Claudie! I saw in some other posts some benefits and recommendations on Caltrate. Definitely worth a shot! Saw my doc today, and he said the diet choices are great as well as SFS (but he recommended Citrucel). He wants me to crank up my Levsin, including right before bed, to help with the morning jitters. But I'll try the Caltrate too...

#330766 - 06/08/08 05:39 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Iīm really relieved to hear that frequent immodium use doesnīt pose any additional health problems. I seem to be relying on it more these days - I try repeatedly to use the diet to get back on track, completely going back to basics and eating nothing but rice and porridge all day, and my tummy *still* isnīt happy, which is exasperating - and eating like this repeatedly is doing no good for my weight levels and general wellbeing. Sometimes immodium seems to be the only way of breaking the cycle. At least if I can stop the D, I am a little less sensitive and can start to build again towards a vaguely nutritious diet...

#330772 - 06/08/08 07:57 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I know I've said it before but if you are at all concerned wwith drugs you could try a natural remedy. I also suffer the most in the mornings.I've had my gallbladder removed and became the small percentage that ends up with cronic d.Pain in the butt on top of IBSd huh.
I took Slippery Elm tablets and it cleared up in two days. I haven't been plagued with d since. Only when I screw with my diet.
I also take St Johns wort for anxiety instead of using anti anxiety drugs. It really helps me to calm down. I can feel the panic rising and then suddenly its gone.
I haven't been taking it for a while do to a drug interaction with birth control but I think I am going to have to start again due to an increase lately in my stress level and panic attacks.
I hope you find something to help you it really sucks not having any control of your body.
Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#330782 - 06/08/08 11:11 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

This is really interesting, I will look into these remedies. Iīve wondered before how I could treat the anxiety that can be triggered by some unforeseen event in the day and cause instant pain. I appreciate the info. Presumably the herbs themselves donīt act as triggers?

Re: No the herbs aren't triggers.nt new
      #330804 - 06/08/08 06:01 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review