All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
is it safe to do the prep for a colonoscopy, without having a colonoscopy?
      #329305 - 05/04/08 10:56 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

And how do you do it? I can't remember. It's been about 5 years, & I want to clean myself out, but I'm so scared of doing the wrong thing, & having an attack. Does anyone have any advice????

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is it safe to do the prep for a colonoscopy, without having a colonoscopy? new
      #329318 - 05/04/08 01:50 PM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

Kiwii, I can tell you what my colonoscopy prep procedure tells me to do but I don't know if it's safe. I guess I'm just a big old chicken but I'm scared to death of it. Here goes: No breakfast snack or solid food all day. Drink only clear, orange, ginger ale, sprite, 7up. fruit juice you can see through, apple, white grape. Lots of water. 1 cup black coffee. popsicles or jello, banana, lemon, lime. clear gatorade or powerade. If diabetic you can have 1 can vanilla glucerna. At 3:00 pm take 4 Dulcolax tablets. At 5:00 pm mix 255 gram bottle of miralax in 64 ounces of clear, lemon, lime or orange powerade of gatorade, no red or purple. Shake until dissolved.
Drink an 8 oz glass every 10-15 min until the solution is completely gone. At 8:00 pm. drink 1.5 oz bottle of fleet phospha soda oral laxative. If stool is not clear or still has yellow/brown color drink another bottle of 1.5oz fleet phospha soda. Continue drinking clear liquids until bedtime. If I do all of that I will be passed out in the floor way b/4 8:00 pm. Good luck to you.

Re: is it safe to do the prep for a colonoscopy, without having a colonoscopy? new
      #329319 - 05/04/08 02:18 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is a very harsh process so it is contrary to the EFI idea that it's best to try to soothe the colon rather than annoy it. If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to clean yourself out?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329325 - 05/04/08 03:11 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

Well you need a prescription for the prep so you'd need to see a doc. If you are feeling bad enough to want to do this I would talk to your doctor. I have been through this process and it's so gross and disgusting I can't imagine doing it unless I was having the scope. Why do you want to do it?

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#329334 - 05/04/08 04:16 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I just had mine last week so I can give you the instructions. I don't know if it's safe but I would think so, otherwise they wouldn't have people do it, right? I'm assuming this is a one-time thing for you and you're not going to do it repeatedly.

Buy two Fleet Phospho-Soda 45ml bottles (the ones you drink, you don't need a prescription and I found it in the laxative section of my grocery store).
the day before follow a clear-liquid diet
between 6&8pm drink the first bottle of Fleet Phospho-Soda (you can mix it with water or clear liquids) followed by at least 5 eight-ounce glasses of water over the next hour
drink plenty of water throughout the reminder of the evening
day of exam - 5 h before the procedure drink the second bottle followed by at least 5 eight-ounce glasses of water over the next hour
nothing else to drink after that

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#329346 - 05/05/08 04:53 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I was typing in a hurry yesterday so I forgot to add that the prep made me so sick I thought I was going to vomit. I wouldn't do that again unless I had to. If I were you and wanted to clean myself out I would probably do the day of fasting and then take some MOM in the evening followed by an enema in the morning. I think it would also be a lot gentler on your system.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#329348 - 05/05/08 05:17 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

if you're looking for a tasteless prep, do miralax! My prep a few years ago was a breeze. I took almost the entire bottle of miralax and mixed it with 64 oz of water. For the colonoscopy, I had to take 2 dulcolax first, but the miralax is much more gentle than the harsh preps--and has no taste. just thought i'd throw that out there!

--------------------
IBS-A

#329369 - 05/05/08 10:43 AM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

I must add, the phospha soda is not safe according to all I've read. It can cause kidney failure. I just tried the miralax yesterday & had a bad allergic reaction to the polyethylene glycol. Throat burn, face swelled, still have a horrific headache. I only tried a small amt. thank God I didn't use the 1/2 gal. Most of the preps contain polyethylene glycol. Still shakey today. Be careful.

don't do it new
      #329387 - 05/05/08 05:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I felt a need to do that once. I made about my normal amount of poo and then just water came out. I had nothing in me to cleanse (just like my doctor told me ) and it made me very ill. It is uncomfortable and is the worst part of colonoscopies (so I hear).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#329429 - 05/06/08 10:19 AM
Kiwii

Hey Sand,

Well, I haven't had a colonoscopy since Dec. of '03. And I have a bit of a bulge in my lower tum, which I've always had. But I noticed while doing the prep for my last colonoscopy, by the time I got done with it, I had lost 7 lbs & my tum was flat!

I just thought it might not be a bad idea to clean out the old colon. I can hold ALOT of poop. After my last colonoscpy my GI said I still had some poop left!

I just can't remember the prep for it! I know I had to go on a liquid diet for a day & a half & then at about 4 or 5 I took Milk of Magnesia, & then waited for some time after that before taking that drink that cleans you out. I can't remember what it was called. It was something you could buy without a prescription & came in cherry or lime flavor. It had some weird name.

But overall, when I think of it I'm scared to death to do it... so I probably won't.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Update new
      #329431 - 05/06/08 10:26 AM
Kiwii

Hey everbody,

Thanx for responding to my post. So far I've just been taking some prune juice everyday, which is helping me go more often & help getting rid of my bulge.

The reason I want to do this is that I haven't had a colonoscopy for 5 yrs. & thought it might not be a bad idea to clean myself out again. But I'm so scared of the thought I probably won't do it anyway.

Oh well, I just thought I would come here because I trust you guys more, cuz you know the sensitivity of my condition better than the GI.

Thanx again!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review