All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Not sure what "stabilized" really is....
      #329284 - 05/03/08 09:03 PM
JFinVA

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA

First off....what a resource this site and Heather's books have been. I've had IBS-D since childhood, but was only diagnosed last year (I'll be 40 this year). Even since that diagnosis, I had no idea what I was really dealing with. 5 weeks ago my system went totally bonkers...and I realized the full brunt of what I need to deal with. Found this site, ordered books and acacia and teas. All have really been wonderful....but....I'm not quite sure I'm approaching "stablization" correctly. Last week I went to a strict soluble fiber focused diet (mostly typical "BRAT" diet) to try to settle my system. By Wednesday, I was feeling on top of the world, but by Friday, I realized I hadn't had a BM in 3 days, and was starting to feel a bit painful in the gut, and even was getting back pains -- started to think I was too "backed up". Feeling this was a sign of "stabilization", I decided to both increase my acacia, and also had a couple of "normal" foods yesterday, still taking acacia and following soluble fiber guidelines. Today, woke to colon loudly sloshing its contents! Had very loose BM, bloating, painful gas, discomfort all day. Was I not "stable" yet? Is there such a thing as trying to stabilize for "too long", and getting too constipated? Should I go back to strict rice, pasta, bread, acacia, water, tea for several more days? Will the soluble fiber eventually do its thing and relieve whatever constipation I feel. Trying to end the yo-yo here - does stable mean no D, or no C, or no both? Dying to get this under control....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not sure what "stabilized" really is.... new
      #329286 - 05/04/08 04:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This question comes up regularly. Check this message and use the search feature at to search for stable, stablize and stablizing.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#329323 - 05/04/08 02:54 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It sounds like you basically put yourself on the Break The Cycle diet and stuck with it for too long. As you'll see from the link, Heather says do this for 3 days maximum. Then you need to start adding in safe protein and IF slowly and carefully.

So my guess would be that you ate pure SF for too long then may have added too much or too harsh IF when you started eating "normal" food (I'm assuming you mean protein and IF, not trigger foods). Also, you may have gone up on Acacia too fast - slow and steady is best because too much too fast can cause gas. Last but not least, be sure you watched your fat levels when you started eating "normal" foods.

My advice would not be to go back to all SF but rather to eat mostly SF with safe protein and some well cooked, well processed IF, like berries in smoothies or Heather's zucchini or pumpkin bread or well-cooked relatively benign vegetables (in other words, green beans rather than broccoli).

I never went all SF when I first started out. I just eliminated trigger foods; upped my amount of SF to about twice as much SF as safe protein and IF combined; was very careful about fat; and avoided the really tough IF like corn and salads. I ate a lot of the Baked blueberry pecan French toast from the Eating for IBS cookbook - it's a great example of a good ratio for me. Lots and lots of SF with just a little IF in the form of blueberries and nuts. Similarly, I always did very well with the Italian lemon tuna sandwiches from the same book - lots of bread, safe protein from tuna, and a little IF from tomatoes. Dinner would be something like the Crockpot Chicken Stew from the Recipe Board - lots of SF from potatoes and carrots, a little IF from onions and celery. And even with the sandwich and stew, I'd probably add in some more SF when I was first starting out - a handful of pretzels before the sandwich, a slice of French bread before the stew.

As for what's stable, as Syl says this comes up a lot. For me it wasn't a single magic moment. I started to feel better almost immediately. I'm IBS-D and had essentially been in the middle of an attack for about 2 months. Within days of cutting out triggers and eating lots of SF, the improvement in my pain levels was dramatic. It took about 3 months to feel good, 6 months to feel great, and 9 months to feel normal.

To me being stable means if I'm not stressed I have no symptoms of IBS. Beyond that, it means that if I am stressed the medicines at my disposal now work. Before the EFI Diet, I could pop Imodium, anti-spasmodics, anti-depressants, and anti-anxiety meds with no more effect than putting a traffic cone in front of a freight train. Now that the EFI approach has stabilized the part of my IBS that's food-related, my IBS is less likely to flare up under stress. And for those days when stress does get to my gut, I can manage it effectively with meds. Bottom line, I can live my daily life without being restricted by IBS.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329338 - 05/04/08 05:44 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am almost the same boat you are . The only if I have to eat are green beans, tomatoes, strawberries,celery (cooked) they were the only ones I didn't cut back on! So now I am just starting to add in new if and its so hard! I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat the old stuff again. But I can't contuine to eat just these its a SLOW process. I am putting bb in my smoothies, and tonight I had 1 cooked mashed piece of broc in my mashed pots. I can do some lettuce on a sandwitch but not sald just yet. I would love to have beans, broc, and corn back but 1 day at a time. Try some can peaches rinse well. Just hang in there and maybe will get "there" someday. Good luck! hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c
GAS
GAS
more Gas!

#329342 - 05/04/08 06:47 PM
JFinVA

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA

Thanks for the replies and links! I'm going to stick with it - I backed off adds of protein and soy today (I'm also thinking the soy yogurt I tried Friday might have fouled me up...), and based on your posts and others realized I may have jumped the gun on ramping up acacia so backed off it a bit. We'll see how it goes this week. I have another question but I'll post under a new subject.....

(My wife cooked a scrumptious gourmet meal for her parents today, my dad-in-law's birthday....too bad I couldn't partake. My plate full of spaghetti noodles and water just didn't stack up....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3715 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1130

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review