All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Candy
      #329054 - 04/28/08 05:33 PM
Maryann2

Reged: 03/27/08

I know about all the wonderful deserts on this site but was wondering if anybody has eaten any candy (not chocolate) or any thing with fructose in it without any problem.
Sometimes I just crave a little sweet something.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candy new
      #329057 - 04/28/08 05:38 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've never had any problems with fructose although I avoided HFCS like the plague when I first started out. I eat peppermints and jelly beans and do fine.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329063 - 04/28/08 06:43 PM
Maryann2

Reged: 03/27/08

I hate to sound dumb but what exactly is HSCF?

HFCS = high fructose corn syrup -nt- new
      #329067 - 04/29/08 05:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#329070 - 04/29/08 06:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There's a sticky post (one of the ones with the little push pin) near the top of the Board called "Common Abbreviations and Explanations" that will clear up some of the jargon we use around here.

Some people on the Board think HFCS is bad only because it's source of fructose; some believe there's something intrinsically unhealthy about HFCS (a view not restricted to these Boards); others think it's fine. I fall somewhere in among these positions. I think there's something weird about it and I prefer not to consume fructose unnecessarily so I'd rather avoid HFCS. When I first started out, I absolutely wouldn't eat it. Now that I'm stable I'm a lot more relaxed about it which makes my life easier since it shows up in all kinds of foods from candy to mayonnaise to packaged bread.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329093 - 04/29/08 12:36 PM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

What is the difference between HFCS and corn syrup? I noticed that some candy has HFCS and others have corn syrup.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

Corn syrup & HFCS new
      #329097 - 04/29/08 01:04 PM
Syl

Corn syrup is compose mainly of the sugar glucose. HFCS contains two sugars, fructose and glucose, and it normally contains more fructose than than glucose. The excess fructose compared to glucose in HFCS can cause gas, bloating, cramps, D and/or C in IBS and normal individuals. Individuals with IBS can experience problems with any food that contains more fructose than glucose such as HFCS, honey, some sauces, fruits and fruit juices (e.g. apples, pears, melons, etc). This problem is called fructose malabsorption

For more information search the board for HFCS or high fructose corn syrup.

Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Fructose Intolerance & IBS frustration...need help! new
      #329100 - 04/29/08 01:18 PM
blt

Reged: 02/21/08
Loc: New York

Hi Syl: I have written to you before. My doctor can't seem to find a dietician in my area that specializes in fructose intolerance & IBS. I'm not sure where to start on my new eating plan. I just bought Tammy's "Eating for IBS" and the powder. The book doesn't explain how to eat with fructose intolerance and the powder gives me more problems, even though I have started out with small doses. Any recommendations on how I should start? Thank you so much.

Re: Fructose Intolerance & IBS frustration...need help! new
      #329103 - 04/29/08 02:20 PM
Syl

Hi blt: It is difficult to find a dietitian anywhere that is conversant with the fructose malabsorption diet, probably because this problem has only recently gained recognition in the professional IBS community

In my response to your previous message I suggested you look at table 2 in the second article. This table is a summary of favorable (right-hand side) and unfavorable (left-hand side) foods for individuals with fructose malabsorption. I uses this table along with Heather's EFI guidelines as the basic foundations of my diet.

Another thing you could do is print off a copy of the second article. It is a complete technical description of the fructose malabsorption diet. Take it and Heather's EFI book to a dietitian and ask the dietitian to help you design a diet based on these two approaches. Generally speaking you find that it is quite easy to adjust the EFI diet to handle fructose malabsorption.

Finally, please ask questions if you need more help. There are a number of people on the board with the same problem

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 632 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2507

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review