All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-D stricken with random bouts of IBS-C
      #328643 - 04/22/08 09:58 AM
krisz

Reged: 04/15/08

First of all, I wanted to say that this is my first post and I am a recent new member to the site. So far, I have been very happy with everything I have found and learned since I came to the site. I have had IBS-D on and off for about 10 years now, with steady problems for the last couple of years. Here is my situation -

I wanted to see if this ever happens to any one else out there. During the week, when I am at work, I am stricken with several attacks that the IBS diet, Align, and the Acacia have definitely been helping, but still, I go regularly. However, on the weekends, I don't have any attacks at all, in fact, I don't go at all. I can eat almost anything I want and I have no problems. However, the problem with that is that I am then very sick on Monday and Tuesday from the sudden IBS-C from the weekend.

So I guess what I am wondering is, has anyone else ever gone through this pattern? I can only assume it is from the stress of being at work vs. the non-stress of being at home. And is there any product or food or something that I can take to gently relieve this problem on the weekend? I definitely don't want to take a laxative, but I need something. Thanks and sorry for the very long post!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D stricken with random bouts of IBS-C new
      #328662 - 04/22/08 11:32 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I haven't experienced this exact pattern but I have found that if I have a bad IBS-D attack it may take 2-3 days before I have a BM again. I figure there's just nothing left in my lower digestive system and it takes a few days to, well, hmm, refill. (Sorry, can't think of a less icky way to say that.)

My guess is that what's happening to you is something similar. During the week your gut is spasming and you go a lot but by Friday afternoon your system is completely empty. In other words, you may not be literally constipated over the weekend (in the sense of needing to have a BM and not being able to) but rather you just don't need to.

This should mean that as your IBS-D subsides and your work week gets more normal, your weekends should too. If you're eating off-program during the weekend that may be causing some of your misery during the first part of the week and by keeping your gut irritated contribute to the fact that your whole work week is low-level miserable. Try sticking to the EFI Diet strictly even on the weekends and see if your work week gets better.

To some extent, it will just take time. When I first started on the EFI Diet, I got almost immediate relief from pain, cramping, and deadly urgency, but it took longer for frequency to subside.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1029 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 345

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review