All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bowels functioning better after Colonoscopy
      #328067 - 04/10/08 10:04 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Anybody else experience this? I had my first colonoscopy one week ago, and am surprised by how "regular" and un-troublesome my bowels have been. What could it be? I did the fasting and clean-out procedure beforehand. I was wondering if the air-inflation of the colon that they do during the procedure works out some kinks or stimulates the peristaltic action somehow.

Results--they didn't find polyps---they said there was minor Diverticulosis.

Calli

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bowels functioning better after Colonoscopy new
      #328077 - 04/10/08 11:47 AM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Hi Calli,

I plan to get a colonoscopy soon. I hope I have the same results as you. What kind of prep did they use for you?

Best,

Candy2

#328083 - 04/10/08 12:28 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I used Fleets Phospho-soda Ginger-Lemon flavor (the only one available). I bought 2 small 3 oz. bottles. The night before, I mixed 1 tablespoon in 8 oz clear liquid---did this mixture 3 times, 20 minutes apart. Then, the next morning I repeated that (my appointment was for 1 PM). Those were the doctor's instructions.

I mixed mine with plain water---it's pretty salty, but tolerable. My husband had his colonoscopy last November---he warned me against mixing the stuff with juice---said it made the flavor even worse.

My sister-in-law gave me good advice beforehand. She said to start eating lightly at least 4-5 days beforehand, so that by the time you do the prep, you don't have much to pass. She advised doing a "full liquid diet" (not really liquids)--like blended rice, purees, mashed potatoes. broth, etc. She said the biggest mistake people make is eating too much----to load up on food because they don't look forward to fasting the day before the procedure. The less you eat, the less you have to pass.

Still, I started drinking the Fleets at 7:00 PM and I was still using the bathroom at 11:30 PM. I'm glad I started my next doses early the next morning (again at 7:00 AM), 'cause I was barely finished in the bathroom and had to leave the house around noon.

Calli

#328159 - 04/12/08 10:50 AM
tigergirl

Reged: 03/30/08

i actually had this happen whe I had a lower barium GI when i was 14 (years ago!) and i never felt so good in my life -- i think it was because i was completely cleaned out for/after the procedure that i essentially got the chance to start all over again -- unfortunately, i didn't know about the EFI diet back then and resumed my horrible eating habits and symptoms returned. Sometimes I wish i could go back in for another test just to have the chance to feel better again for a while. I would use this as an opportunity to make sure you are diligent w/ your diet and fiber intake to keep yourself feeling good and not fall back into any bad habits! Good luck and glad you're feeling some relief!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1578

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review